O/NSO: Not shocking but shocking edition

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 23, 2019
    That should have been "firstly"

2. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 23, 2019
    Perfect reply, Annenberg

3. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 23, 2019
    Who are you Kiersey or Bates?.. lets have all our players to sit down and hold hands if their Myers Briggs personality indicators line up and fuck the rest of them? Insipid, purely.
    Dr Katz is it?

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Cocktail hour, is it?

Kaptain Karl and gubo&palanka like this.
  5. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 23, 2019
    chromosome superiority probably

6. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Aug 23, 2019
    great point, Troy.

IMHO....he can't....
    and if he is truly our best bet....long season

7. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 23, 2019

8. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Aug 24, 2019
    There is a culture war going on in this blog:
    Sunshine pumpers who want to hear nothing even remotely negative vs
    those that can’t see any light of day as long as Helton has any power over the team.

#roughdays

9. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Aug 24, 2019
    indeed

uscjrl98 likes this.
  10. Coopsc72

Coopsc72 Junior Member

Aug 24, 2019
    Possible underdogs in 5 out of the first 6 games? Geez, sky is falling Greg? You flat out know that won't be true!

11. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Aug 24, 2019
    Were you at any of the practices? Have you been tasked with informing the board about the state of the program. If not then you have nothing to contribute to the discussion. Apparently you are reading dribble from your like-minded posters and contributing that to the board. Please stop. Garry handpicked Greg and the others to give us information as to what goes on in practice. I choose to rely on that rather than your second hand gossip.

12. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Aug 24, 2019
    And despite the fact that they might watch the practices, they are not inside the coaches office when decisions are made. So all you really have is an opinion.
    I get it. You don’t like Helton as HC and your opinion leans to those who think like you do. It’s a natural for those weak minded people that can’t think for themselves.
    Relax, the season begins in one week.

13. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Aug 24, 2019
    Honestly, I don't want to see any of those childish, dumb labels that are on the TOS. This site doesn't promote that two camp BS and that's why it's a better place to discuss the good and bad of a coaching decision.

To get back on track:

Staff runs the risk of letting go of a gamer in Jack. (Though that's based off one game.)
    Yet, in Spring and Fall Jack didn't perform like he was required to in this offense and instead stuck with his proclivity to run with the yellow jersey on.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  14. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Aug 24, 2019
    KandI I agree with part of your post. The season does begin in one week, However your reference to weak minded people falls short. Weak minded are those who blindly follow incompetent leaders. Kind of like when Swann/Helton say everything is ok and posters such as yourself fall in line and just accept it. Strong minded people do their own research before forming an opinion. 5-7, 2/3 coordinators return including head coach, worst recruiting since they have been ranking recruiting classes, QB decision made by the same guy who chose Browne over Darnold and Toa over Brett and kept his fathers friend employed and the expense of our kid's development. How you choose to defend Helton after what he has done to these kids is atrocious. I asked you once before and still have not gotten an answer. Have you ever spoke to or sat next to one of our players after a loss. It is devastating to them. Yet you still push the status quo by your irrational defense of Helton. He is not even a Trojan, He is a hired employee. I just don't get why there are those on the board that claim to be Trojan Alums that value Helton and his feelings over our kids development and success.

15. Fyton82

Fyton82 Points Member

Aug 24, 2019
    Keep telling yourself that.

16. tbonelarry

tbonelarry Member

Aug 24, 2019
    Has anyone not seen that video of parents fighting at their kids little league game? I recommend spending a few seconds on youtube if you haven't. That's what this dialogue reminds me of. And I sincerely apologize for making an earlier joke (dumb joke) about what I saw as a bias in the original article if I have added any of the low blows. That said, I still do believe an article by a Trojan journalist with comments like "could very well play into team morale for those players that thought Sears should be the starter", "imagine how this affects Sears and Fink" ,"will almost certainly create a climate that will spawn charges of rigged system or pigskin conspiracy", "you can bet the that the Sears family isn't exactly excited", is meant to plant seeds of division and be destructive to the morale of the team. That's how it reads to me. These are also comments that are virtually impossible to back up with any facts. It's a wild guess what Sears and/or Fink and/or his parents are thinking, or any of the players, unless you are speaking to them in private and disclosing such (and hopefully speaking to the other players and/or parents to get a fair assessment). And we certainly shouldn't be encouraging players to not listen to their coaches or not follow their decisions, at least assuming we want W's. As a bystander, it looks like an adult is in the sandbox trying to push two groups of kids into a fight. You don't have to think CH made the right call. Be as critical of CH as you want. I personally think CH is the wrong coach. But what do I know? Maybe there's enough facts against CH to make an argument for a coaching change. If so, I would stick to the facts. Not stir up melodrama. Generally, I like Katz perspective, and grateful for his opinion, time, and knowledge of the game (not that he should care).. I am just a casual (mostly) USC football fan and grad. I have much less knowledge of the game than most of you, but reading this article made my stomach turn for the players of the team. And this being Katz' 3rd article in as many days saying the exact same thing (Sears is better), and getting louder and louder, until it may have crossed a line, doesn't read like journalism, it reads like fan fiction.

911SC likes this.
  17. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Aug 24, 2019
    Say what? You really believe that Greg's purpose in prose is to be divisive and destructive to the morale of the team? A) that is ridiculous because his writing doesn't have that reach of influence, and B) that just isn't Greg Katz.

Greg is writing for a college football blog, not reporting from the war zone in Afghanistan. He is not required to limit his comments to factual information. His opinion, backed up by years and years of experience, is what is valuable. Greg has been doing this long enough to have established trust and rapport with and among coaches, players, families, and other writers.

If the players on this team are susceptible to engaging in melodrama based on what Greg Katz has written, then USC has much bigger problems than having Clay Helton as a HC or having JT as the starting QB. They chose to come to USC. It's a storied program in a big city, with a LOT of eyeballs and opinions. Players and families have a thicker skin that you give them credit for. And let's hope the players are watching film, instead of reading blogs.

Gr8ythunter, uscjrl98 and Jay4usc like this.
  18. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Aug 25, 2019
    Fink is/was ahead of Sears because he throws much more accurately when he does run, from what I’ve been told He may be running but is still commited to getting the ball downfield

TrojanFireHorse12 and 911SC like this.