O/NSO: A Carnac question of questions edition

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Jan 22, 2021.

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Fear our President doesn’t have a playoff team as a priority. Count me out as a booster. Agree, Kedon hurt won’t play this spring

gubo&palanka and Greg Katz like this.
  3. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Carnac the Magnificent,
    Can you give your predictions or thoughts:
    I have read that Stiner reports directly to Bohn and not to Helton, and that makes sense if he is going to be the S&C coach for all sports. Did Ausmus report to Helton and was he just solely dedicated to football?

I also read Davis is taking a trip to OSU this weekend and his uncle is really pushing OSU, do you still see us as the front runner?

I totally agree with your OL assessment. By hiring Clay number 2 it just points to being “All in with the Air Raid” offense. Do you think 5 star Oline and RB recruits will still want to come play in this offense?
    As for Jinks, are you implying that he does not have any say in the offense. I think Deland set a high bar as a RB coach. I just don’t see any development with the RB’s. In fact everyone is saying they have regressed. I also read the Scott Frost is enamored with Stepp. He said they are going to definitely commit to the run game and he will be their featured back. Coming back to Jinks, should he have also been on the cut list?

It looks like there is a lot of talent in the portal. Now that commit day has passed whether kids stay for another year of eligibility or leave early do you know our remaining available scholie count. The portal could help us where we lack depth in certain position groups. Lots of talent from Tennessee and Texas kids.

Today, the media group put out a pic of London, Jackson, and Slovis on social media while also boasting they are the most followed football team on Social media, Ranked number 1! I was kind of puzzled as it made the play of popularity of social media versus onfield accomplishments. I know many of the posters on this board are old school and feel that the only results we care about are national championships, conference championships, and post season honors. The new media group seems more focused on popularity versus football results that adorn our Heritage Hall!

Looking for Carnac to give his predictions or thoughts on the above, btw love how you address all encompassing areas of SC football!
    Fight On!

Greg Katz likes this.
  4. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Sorry Carnac,
    One other question, why all the non transparency with Keedon in your opinion?
    Fight On!

Greg Katz likes this.
  5. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Jan 22, 2021
    Hi GoSC27, As they they don't say, "No news is not good news." Don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, it wouldn't shock me if something happened to Kedon on the last play against Oregon in the Pac-12 title game. All we've been told is that Kedon had an X-ray of his shoulder but the results were not reported. I don't take that as good news, but I hope I am wrong. GK

6. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Jan 22, 2021
    I laugh at how they are twisting and turning the metrics so that they can claim to be the "number one team on social media." Call me crazy, but that just doesn't pass the smell test. I love USC football, but we don't have a fanbase as large or engaged as these other programs. So many of these other programs have social media followings that dwarf ours. Take Twitter, where USC Football has 40K followers. A number that seems acceptable until you realize Alabama has a million, Michigan 900K, OSU a half million, Clemson a million, Georgia a million, etc, etc, etc...This isn't just Twitter either, it is across the board. Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, etc...when it comes to followers/interactions, we're not even in the same ballpark as a large portion of the Power 5.

The same goes for players at these other schools, who almost always have way bigger social media followings than our own. A four star recruit's commitment/signing at a number of these other programs is often good for an easy 5K+ followers at a minimum. At USC on the other hand, our guys are lucky to land 1 or 2,000 additional followers after 3 solid years in the program. But these clowns are out there claiming social media dominance?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Greg Katz likes this.
  7. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Jan 22, 2021
    Hi goSC27. It is my understanding that by his title, Stiner will be working directly in the football program. As for Raesjon Davis, it's always tense when a player of his caliber visits Ohio State, especially with his parents. However, I still think when it's all said and done he will be a Trojan. In terms of hiring the new offensive line coach, I don't think it will have an effect on the recruiting of running backs or much effect on recruiting offensive linemen. As for Jinks, I think he gets it with finding one main back with a primary backup. I think that the biggest obstacle to having a running game is OC Graham Harrell, who doesn't seem to either have much interest or doesn't care. I think he has created a passing environment that has lost its balance by his choice, IMHO. Thank you for all your kind words, and I enjoy your comments and questions. GK

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Jan 22, 2021
    Hi big Pete. I think the biggest social media presentation is on the scoreboard - as in wins and losses. Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, is meaningless without the results on the field. Right now, it's all about buying time and making an impressions on recruits. GK

9. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Thanks Greg for your quick replies, going back to Keedon, what advantage does it give us in not disclosing any injury unless it was at the family’s request. It is not like we are playing a game next week and we are trying to make a rival DC figure out our offensive game plan. We are also nearing the end of recruiting and I think the hire of Clay 2 is more revealing to a recruit then Keedon’s injury. Just looking for the reasoning behind the non-transparency.
    Fight On!

10. Arthur Jury

Arthur Jury Points Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Hi Greg, good article but you have the Great Carnac format backwards. Carnac always got a card from straight sideman Ed McMahon with the "answer" and Carnac then supplied the "question". Example ...

The answer is "El Paso". Carnac replied: "What does a Mexican quarterback do when El Run-o and El Kick-o don't work ?"

So for your article, it would go something like this ....

McMahon: The answer is "a steaming pile of bull crap". Carnac: "What was Clay Helton's last press conference ?"

11. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Carnac.....that was great.
    As far as areas we did not improve in.....without even spending 5 seconds to think......Head coach, QB, OL.

Greg Katz likes this.
  12. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Jan 22, 2021
    “If you look at the progress we made and the adjustments we collectively worked on, I can’t think of one area where we didn’t improve.”

Was there something worse than last place in 2019 for rushing yards, penalties and clock management? If so, then I agree with Bohn...we've improved to 12th in the conference in all these areas this year.

13. Bilbo

Bilbo Points Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Agree format backwards
    EM Dumb and Dumber
    Carnac who are Mike Bohn and Clay Helton
    Now I know why Helton is still head coach .. his boss is an idiot
    The clown show continues
    Sorry you have to cover this mess Greg

14. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 22, 2021
    In the past the University has disclosed other player’s injuries. I think fans have genuine concern for Slovis. If he is injured just say so Unless the family does not want to disclose it, and if he is not injured then move on. My point again, is what is the reason for the non-transparency other then if the family does not want to disclose the injury. Is there a competitive advantage in the secrecy?
    Fight On!

15. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jan 22, 2021
    The university has zero duty, obligation, or right to tell the public the heath status of an individual student - athlete or regular kid at the school.

This isn't the NFL that requires transparency for injuries and player status to ensure a level playing field.

The college football season is over... Helton is not holding media events giving the status of players nor is HH putting out weekly injury reports on student-athlete players on teams not active. I haven't seen any D1 head coach comment on the health of any of their players since the season has ended. When Spring practice begins, I'm sure Helton will be asked about Slovis and any injury issues - this will be the first opportunity for an official readout (okay'd in accordance with Federal/University student privacy rules).

16. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Fight On!

17. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Jan 23, 2021
    They need to find a way to keep Chris C.

18. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jan 23, 2021
    Or, the OC would rather gain some yardage rather than watch a RB plow into the back of an OL for little or no gain? Or, the OC would rather put more plays into the hands of his better players rather than his weaker offensive performers?