O-Line in a good spot as fall camp progresses

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Aug 14, 2019.

2. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Thanks Erik for the interview and write up. My concern still is with the OLine depth. We will see if Drevno has changed the perception of this OLine through the first six games. Again, no fault to him, as that is what he inherited. I also think GH’s tempo and AA’s S&C should help. Maybe we can now play ball for 4 quarters!
    Fight On!

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  3. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Was Drevno the O-Line coach under Martin/Helton?

TrojanFireHorse12 and Pudly76 like this.
  4. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Aug 15, 2019
    I believe the cross training that he mentioned will help with any lack of depth.

Pudly76 likes this.
  5. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Neil Callaway was OL coach last season....IIRC...

TrojanFireHorse12 and Pudly76 like this.
  6. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Aug 15, 2019
    I think it was in Arledge's column that he commented on Drevno's obvious competency as an OL coach judging by his time spent with Harbaugh. I definitely agree. Quoting Drevno, "Rome wasn't created in a day", so it will take some time, but I think there are some quick wins (ie, improvements) to be had. Beyond that we shall see. The personnel looks better than last year.

DJ4SC and DaFireMedic like this.
  7. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Drevno has an excellent reputation and resume. So if a coach can turn things around it will
    be him.
    The talent level is not what it used to be.
    But once the recruits see the good coaching they get they will once again flock back.
    If Helton doesn't get in the way of course.

8. SC200SC

SC200SC Junior Member

Aug 15, 2019
    The biggest downside to wider splits from my HS recollections when I was moved off the end of the line to inside linebacker, was that the blitz was more open. Therefore, it is essential to get good pick ups from the RBs. I think one of the articles discussed that was being worked on.

9. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Will you interview Drevno after this Saturday scrimmage?

Ambrosia Harwood and Pudly76 like this.
  10. Pudly76

Pudly76 Points Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Believe that offensive coaches are available on Tuesdays after practice....

11. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Aug 15, 2019
    So, in the AIR-RAID system, the wider splits do all of what was talked about (moves DEs out further, creates more 1 on 1 OL/DL protection match-ups, and creates wider and more discernible running lanes), and it CAN create what appears to be open blitz lanes as well. In most cases, the RB will pick up any inside blitzer to his side and the QB will be responsible for the inside blitzer opposite. The inside receiver (TE or Slot) will also be RESPONSIBLE for the inside blitzer to his side and if the defender comes (blitzes), then the inside receiver is taught to merely replace him (called a HOT route). One of the effective aspects of the Air-Raid is there are often crossing routes built into nearly every route concept. That alone, allows the QB to have an underneath (blitz) option nearly every play...the crosser will either run to the open space or SIT in the open hole, depending on where the blitzer was prior to the snap.

Not sure if info helps at all, BUT thought I'd try...

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  12. motovich

motovich Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 15, 2019
    Thanks for the great comments. Very informative... I learned something. More one-on-one match-ups in space for our OL seems like a big concern. Lohbendahn spent a lot of time helping out the OGs with pass and run blocking because they were consistently being beaten on the inside, which probably made JT look a lot worse than he is. What do you think of our interior OL being able to win their one-on -on battles in the Air Raid?

13. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Aug 15, 2019
    The "isolation" of the individual OLmen can be an issue...BUT, with the wider splits the DLmen are also put in an "ISOLATED" position...they cannot Loop or Twist as easily because there's too much SPACE to try and make up. So, while putting an OLman in a challenging position against a better DLman might seem like a bad idea, it does "pre-expose" Defensive intentions and then an Offensive Coordinator and/or OL Coach can make the necessary adjustments in protection. Sort of a "glass half full or empty" proposition.

I personally have COMPLETE confidence in Drevno solving the OL issues...he's proven it at SC before and many times over elsewhere. Some like to criticize his being fired by Harbaugh as the Michigan OC and use the firing as evidence against him as a coach, BUT not all coaches are "Coordinators". The truly great ones KNOW their strengths as a coach and don't allow their ambitions to get in the way of their successful skill levels...I believe Drevno learned that. If Texas Tech and North Texas and Washington State (maybe not anymore) can get three-star or lower players to successfully protect their (usually) immobile QBs, then I'm more than CONFIDENT our players will PROVE they can do the job as well!

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

14. SC200SC

SC200SC Junior Member

Aug 15, 2019
    I am hoping that this is where the opponents stack the box to expose the splits and the quick slants burn them. I can picture St. Brown running away from the one guy trying to cover him, etc.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  15. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Let's walk back the perceived lack of talent on the USC offensive line. Every single one of the top 7 guys were national recruits with multiple offers. In fact, 4 of them were top 10 recruits at their respective positions. (USC research courtesy of BLL)

Austin Jackson #8 OT
    Brett Neilon #2 C
    AVT #14 OT
    Jalen McKenzie #24 OG
    Richmond #3 OT
    Voorhees #36 OT
    Dedich #2 C

Lets compare USC's "lack of talent" to Stanford, Washington and Oregon's projected 5 starters on the OL. Some of these guys played different positions in high school but I will put them in order from RT to LT

Stanford

Little #3 OT
    Powell #58 OG
    Dalman #7 OC
    Sarell #2 OT
    Hamilton #25 OT

Washington

Hilbers #115 OT
    Kirkland #58 OT
    Harris #75 OG
    Wattenberg #13 OG
    Adams #31 OT

Oregon

Throckmorton #58 OT
    Warmack #10 OG
    Hanson #73 OT
    Lemieux #34 OG
    Sewell #2 OG

I understand this line isn't as good as some of the historically great lines in USC history, but USC has the type of talent on the OL that most other schools can only dream of. I think Callaway turned them into a nightmare, but I think Drevno can turn them into what they should be.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    RPBSC, earlandnic, SC ForLife and 7 others like this.
  16. Kaptain Karl

Kaptain Karl Points Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Great point here! I think this year is going to come down to confidence. Last year was a perfect example of talented players playing with zero confidence, both in the scheme and themselves. If they're playing with high confidence, they'll be able to play towards their talent level. When I was playing D 1 baseball, my team had a talented roster and when we started very slow, we lost all confidence and had a horrible season after being picked by many scouts as a dark horse to win the conference.

17. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Aug 15, 2019
    and zero coaching that made them want to play to their potential, let alone a competent scheme.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  18. Kaptain Karl

Kaptain Karl Points Member

Aug 16, 2019
    True that! Good coaches will build confidence, while poor ones erode it.