O-line delivers

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Dartmouth, Dec 17, 2020.

1. O-line delivers
    Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Dec 17, 2020
    The fear of everyone was the death of Slovis from ineffective protection. 5 games into season and Slovis has not set foot in the infirmary. True! the running game has been an issue for the O-line but protecting the King Bee they have seldom faltered on.

Notice the time Slovis enjoyed against the best defense faced so far,

big_pete, Troy70 and Rodgarnay51 like this.

2. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2020
    I watched the whole thing and other than one time at around 8:50 where he looked around and settled for a swing pass to a back, I'm still waiting to see him receive a lot of time. He facilitates the OL's job by being quick and decisive. His savvy is uncanny. The other thing I got out of it is Vavae really ran well.

big_pete and SouthbayTrojan91 like this.
  3. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Being in the tent late in the 4th qtr of a of a game we were well in command of isn't their fault. That one was just pure dumb coaching decisions.

in2nation, BigDaddy and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  4. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Run blocking is all about repetition in practice. Chip Kelly is the best at it. Obviously it is not Harrels thing.

Since we seem to have head coach by committee we need to bring in a running game coach

BigRex, Rodgarnay51 and Troy70 like this.
  5. Rodgarnay51

Dec 17, 2020
    That was a head-scratcher. WHY? At the very least Matt Fink should have been given a chance to get in the game and have a little fun. As a benchwarmer in high school I always appreciated it when the coaches would give us some PT.

To address the original point though, that video did not show that Slovis had a lot of time in the UCLA game.

BigRex likes this.
  6. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Vae is our best back. He sees the holes so much better than others and many of them are having to make a cut back. He will be missed tomorrow night. I’m hoping Stepp shows up and balls out.

AtownSC, AZUSCfan and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  7. Rodgarnay51

Dec 17, 2020
    I hate to admit it, but when Vavae fumbled on the goal line against ASU, I thought get him out of there! Just goes to show you that one bad play does not make up a body of work. When St. Brown had that one slip through his hands against the UClowns, I didn't have that thought. Instead it was, well, there goes the game.

Vavae always appears to have his head up and is LOOKING for a hole, and then he bursts right into it. He really looked good against the Ruins.

big_pete likes this.
  8. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Dec 17, 2020
    I wonder if the OP would exist had we actually played Bama or ND? Playing AZ/ASU/WSU/a weak Utah and UCLA helps your QB stay healthy.

Just say'n...

Hockey10 likes this.
  9. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Dec 17, 2020
    GK summed it up best, you cannot compete for a national championship with misses on 5 star Oline recruits. He specifically noted Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame making that a priority in their recruiting. That he says is the key to competing for a National Championship!
    Big miss on Suamataia, especially when he was in our own backyard and worse yet going to our Pac12 rival. This has been the trend as it started with Callaway and now Drevno. We need the likes of Navair and Williams and their superior recruiting skills focused on the OLine. If we can get that fixed we can get a running game. One RB in this recruitment is not enough, but who would want to come here without a running game.
    There are threads about GH’s Air Raid, but think how much better it could be with a consistent running game. The threads like this one would disappear as we would minimize our QB injuries with a 5 star Oline. No more converting DL to OL. When Kingsbury opted out at OC everyone said he would fail in the NFL with his Air Raid Offense. He isn’t there yet, but there hasn’t been threads since.
    Ultimately it comes back to what GK keeps saying, get the 5 star Oline and we can start competing again! If Drevno can’t seal the deal find a Navair or Williams that can help Drevno with this!
    Trust GK!
    Fight On!

10. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Dec 17, 2020
    We would have to get our five star O Line from the Deep South. I think California had a total of 1 four star OL this year. The typical states in the south have about four each. You have to ask any blue chip recruit from the south why it would be in his best interests to leave his home state and come across the country to play for USC. That's a really tough sell.

11. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Dec 17, 2020
    But we had our opportunities in the past where Recruits took the visit to SC, but they eventually declined because they did not want to play for Callaway. Drevno is one up from Callaway in recruiting, but he cannot keep the local talent home. You are not going to get 5 star recruits in one recruiting year, but they all seem to going to Oregon outside of the SEC. If we could keep our local talent and get one or two from out of state like Utah I think we would be in great shape. Big miss on Penei!
    Fight On!

Hockey10 likes this.
  12. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Dec 17, 2020
    The other guy was Jackson Carman. He loved SoCal, but ended up signing on with Clemson.
    Fight On!

13. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Ducks got 2 stud OL again, have to change recruiting

14. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Dec 17, 2020
    DAMN. AVT is a freakin' STUD. Watch #75 on every play if you want to see an offensive lineman at the top of his game, just dominating whoever lines up against him. I never realized he was such an impressive run blocker. He had a bunch of pancake blocks, with my favorite probably being @ 6:39 of the video.