Next USC Head Football Coach

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by AZTrojan38, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Next USC Head Football Coach
    AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Mar 14, 2021
    I know this one is soooo beyond the realm of the possible BUT......with Drew Brees announcing his retirement from the NFL, is there any amount of money/interest that Sean Payton would have to coach USC and utterly dominate the PAC-12 and potentially all of college football? Just wondering and thinking out loud.

As always....Fight On my fellow Trojans

2. trojan raul

trojan raul Junior Member

Mar 14, 2021
    Here's my list...
    1. Ryan Nielsen (Saints DL coach)
    2. Jack Del Rio
    3. Bob Stoops
    4. Luke Fickell

I think we need to bring in a defensive-minded coach. Someone who has connections and can hire a good offensive staff. I'm hearing good things about Nielsen. Orgeron tried to hire him as his DC at LSU. Also, he's a young guy while Stoops is in his 60s. Del Rio is nearing 60. I think it's a matter of time before Nielsen is given a head coaching gig. Besides, he's a Trojan. Might be a good fit.

I don't think Payton will happen. Del Rio can happen. Also, it will pay dividends as Del Rio has been in the league a long time and has many contacts. Also, he has a good reputation in the league and whomever he coaches play D like some nasty honey badgers.

Not too excited about Stoops but he's way better than Helton. I don't think Fickell will happen as he's too midwest.

Ride Fly likes this.
  3. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Mar 14, 2021
    1. Urban Meyer (after one year in NFL he will start looking at his next college job).
    2. Pete Carroll. Yes I will take him back, it will not be like JRob2. heck I even take JRob3 over Helton.
    3. Bill Belichick. Time for this dude to look for a different challenge.
    4. Nick Saban. Same reason as Belichick.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  4. trojan raul

Mar 14, 2021
    Ah, the Mount Rushmore of current coaches. You better bring an EKG to have on the sidelines with that group. Or some nitro:)

VM805 and Ride Fly like this.
  5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Mar 14, 2021
    Don’t tease us. Think AD would bring in Luke but Folt had man crush on Clay

Canyon, Ride Fly and gubo&palanka like this.
  6. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Why would we post an article about changing head coaches as we are about to start Spring Ball in prep for a new season?

7. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 15, 2021
    Because Helton has now been given every resource to win. Way more than any past coach at USC -- and coaches at other programs not named Whore-gone or Alabama -- had.

Most people are not expecting much improvement in the team. Maybe another win or two.

But Helton is who he is and that is what will mostly determine how USC rolls. Lack of toughness, discipline and penalties come to mind. Always losing to programs like Notre Dame and Iowa.

Imagine, the son of an O line coach ditching even a semblance of a balanced offense for the Air Raid!

8. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Great reason to talk about it after the season if they don't improve. Not a great reason to start sowing the seeds of dissention heading into a new year when we all know with 100% certainty that he is our head coach for the coming season.

9. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Oh, I completely realize Clay Helton is our coach in 2021 and didn't want to start any dissension prior to Spring Ball, as I also realize Sean Payton is the head coach for the New Orleans Saints for the foreseeable future. The post was more centered as a thought that if the season didn't live up to expectations for USC and for New Orleans without Brees, would a place like USC be even remotely enticing for someone like Sean Payton in 2022?

10. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Mar 15, 2021
    The seeds of dissension will always be there because of Claydough. Everyone but his jock sniffers are tired of his schtick- “we played like warriors”, “hats off to _____, they’re a great team”.
    But I hear ya, I hope we improve and win, in spite of the Clown that is our head coach.

11. JImmytheGreek

JImmytheGreek Junior Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Les Miles got fired a week ago.

Hockey10 likes this.
  12. trojan raul

Mar 15, 2021
    We will not win in 'spite' of him. We will continue our crap performance. Tack on one win or not, it will not matter. He is not an SC-caliber football coach.

Also, not sowing the seeds of dissension but very much wanting a championship-level coach to lead our program.

Canyon, Hockey10, big_pete and 2 others like this.
  13. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 15, 2021
    While I see your point, the seeds were planted a long time ago.

In retrospect, the first red flag for me was when he fired coaches and then chose not to use all the practices before the bowl game against Wisconsin. God, what an awful memory that game is.

Canyon, TrojanEddie, Hockey10 and 3 others like this.
  14. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Hope the team can improve with Clay doing the reduce the penalty role in camp