News on Rashan Gary

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by WVTrojan, Jan 16, 2016.

1. News on Rashan Gary
    WVTrojan

WVTrojan Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Going into this weekend, Michigan, Ole Miss, Auburn, LSU and Clemson where considered the favorites for the country's top recruits, and they might still be.
    However, NJ.com has received correspondence from Gary's mother Jennifer Coney, from the West coast, indicating the Trojans could become a player in Gary's recruitment down the stretch.
    "USC is a game-changer, for real," said Coney. "Believe it or not, I have checked all the boxes."

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Didn't his mom want to know what the school could offer in life beyond football. Coach Baxter has a great presentation .

3. TROJANMAN76

TROJANMAN76 Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    always a great sign when you see the mother speaking so highly of the visit

4. gotrojans1

gotrojans1 Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    That comment from Mom is going to get a few people all excited. Very positive but he is going to Michigan anyway

5. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Glad the weather is cooperating this weekend too! Some heavy dose of sunshine never hurts a recruit from the East coast!

6. SCeeV03

SCeeV03 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 16, 2016
    Meh, it just helps add fuel to the suspense for pick the hat day. Good to know she liked what she saw.

7. wyotrojans

wyotrojans Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    "From the west coast" as in during their visit today?

8. ArchiTrojan

ArchiTrojan Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    This is good news, even if he doesn't ultimately come...
    WE DON'T EVEN HAVE A D LINE COACH.

9. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    That's about as good as it can get after Day 1 of a visit.....other than the kid saying he's in. He is not expected to come, but it's now upped the percentage.

10. 023lenlen

023lenlen Senior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Since Baxter was there when Gary did his OV to Michigan, there should be some history and insight to USC's advantage despite the ex-coach and ex-team mates at Ann Arbor,

11. IvyTrojan

IvyTrojan Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Agree with much of everything written above. The positive thing about the story and the quote is the specifics of what was said,

It shows parents and recruits that, even in the aftermath of EVERYTHING SC has gone through, If USC calls, recruits (and their parents) should listen.

If he goes elsewhere, SC had it's opportunity to make a pitch and it made a good one.

Fight on! Roll over the tide!!

12. wyotrojans

wyotrojans Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    LSU is in the mix, damn you CEO.

"I have checked all of the boxes". This is a perfect comment for USC. His mom isn't 100% focused on football and she's realizing USC has it all to offer.

13. HtownSC

HtownSC Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Winning tradition- check
    Making it to the NFL- check
    Protoype BLW- check
    Academics- check
    Early playing time- check
    Location- check
    Faith, Family, Football- check

Just need a DL coach and Rashan can help SC to start winning again. Fight On!

14. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    This young man is lucky to have a parent like his. I really like what his mother stands for. If he listens to her he will go a very long way. Especially if he has a USC degree.

Even if they dont commit to USC. I respect that they both kept their word and took the visit.

USC really wants and needs him and in exchange he will walk away with a degree from a private university that carries some serious weight.

15. TrojanMan

TrojanMan Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Per Adam Friedman on Twitter!

16. LeftCoastTrojan7

LeftCoastTrojan7 Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Gotta like him sporting the #55 though, whatever number he wants to get him here. Man I'm not getting my hopes up but good lord him and Wole would change this whole defense.

17. YakkNolan

YakkNolan Junior Member

Jan 16, 2016
    We need a guy like him to be who we are again

18. WarriorPoet

WarriorPoet Junior Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Kids need to think about where they want to live after football... does he want to live in California or in Gary's case maybe NY/NJ? Michigan, & USC likely have the strongest NYC alumni support. Gary goes to a private school now, I would sell he and his mom on USC's private education and maybe steer him away from Michigan's crazy public school libera approach. Plus do you want to walk to class in sub zero temps or go to class with girls in short shorts in January.

19. pilafiction

pilafiction Junior Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Have Mr.Gary speak to Mr. Leonard Williams.. Out of state defensive tackle that had a great experience at Sc and now is excelling on Sunday s in the NFL.

20. matthewpmac

matthewpmac Junior Member

Jan 17, 2016
    This could also be one of those situations where mom wants her boy to go one place while the player wants to go somewhere else. Hopefully he comes but there are two other DE's we need to work on too

21. Edmonton Oilers

Edmonton Oilers Junior Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Apparently Helton told Gary and his mom that they will finalize the DLine coach hire by Wednesday, and when that is done they will visit him again with Pendergast. Looks like they might have their candidate. Just finalizing the contract?

22. FightOnSC247

FightOnSC247 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I think it would have helped if we had a DL coach in place when he was visiting this weekend. You want to make the biggest impression at the best place, on campus visit, with the Mom loving everything else. Pendergast reportedly met with them for only five minutes. Not good IMO. A visit along with the DL coach at a later date may not be as effective, unless they have somehow relayed a message to Gary and Mom who the silent DL coach is at this time.

23. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I would like to hear more from Rashan Gary than his mommy. I would like to have a Trojan who can make his own decisions on and off the field. It almost appears like Momma Coney is enjoying her time in the spotlight - 'Queen for A Day' Can we recruit her to do PR for USC? She's a natural.

24. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2016
    It looks like Rashan wants to own his own business, if he does not make it to the NFL. This may very well come down to the two business programs at USC and Michigan. I believe Michigan's Ross may be ranked higher overall, compared to Marshall. However, I believe our Entrepreneurship program is ranked higher.

25. norcalsurfer408

norcalsurfer408 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2016
    USC has the #3 entrepreneurship program in the nation (per US News). Marshall undergrad is ranked lower than Ross but since both are in the Top 10, it comes down to networking and what the person wants (finance vs Hollywood industry) in regards to deciding what business school to attend. If he wants to stay in Southern California, I recommend attending the school on the corner of Figueroa St. and Jefferson Blvd.

26. Lbctrojan

Lbctrojan Junior Member

Jan 18, 2016
    How can you guys criticize a mom for being actively invested in her sons higher learning. I think we need more parents like this in the black community. Parents who genuinely care. " queen for the day" this comment really bothers me. Aren't we all here because we love USC why are you bothered by her positive comments about the university !?

27. 023lenlen

023lenlen Senior Member

Jan 18, 2016
    I am, forever amazed of posters that diss a recruit or mom on the boards. Yes everybody has free license to express their opinions, and one negative post will not turn a recruit or parent away from USC, necessarily, but a steady negative diet on any board begins to form their perception. Either a rival school or friends/relatives or the parent themselves will read or hear about uninformed comments. Not saying one should be a sunshine pumper, but saying something online that one would not say face to face is just bad.

28. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 18, 2016
    N8ive

Are you a parent ?

29. Ladera Trojan

Ladera Trojan Junior Member

Jan 18, 2016
    His mom is doing EXACTLY what any loving/caring/involved parent would do.....she's doing her due diligence in regards to where her son will spend the next 4 years of his life.

My daughter is a freshman in college this year, and you can bet that her mom and I drove/flew to multiple schools to see what each University had to offer and what campus life would look like.

For those that don't have kids, you'll never know what it's like to send your child off to college until you have your own. This is a child that you have cared for and loved for 18 years and now this young adult is about to make one of the most important decisions of his/her life....college. You can be damn sure that a caring parent isn't going to just say, "Go pick any school you want"!

Ultimately, it is the young adults decision to choose where he will attend, but that doesn't mean that the parents shouldn't help in weighing the pros and cons of each school with the player. And what better way to get to know a school and coach than to attend on the player's OV.

30. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jan 18, 2016
    As a parent, i keep thinking to myself when reading the neg comments regarding a parents involvement .. Isnt that what a parent is supposed to do when the adolescent is making such an important decision? The world is turned upside down. I would think the coaching staff woukd want the parents there. I woukd like to think that the parents, especially those who are out of state, would want to be there as well.

31. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jan 18, 2016

Nah, Jcanderson69 swears it's for the meals.

32. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 18, 2016
    An 'official visit' is 'any visit to a college campus by you and your parents paid for by the college.'

The parents are an integral part of the process.

33. FightOnSC247

FightOnSC247 Junior Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Ann Arbor currently 10 degrees, feels like -8.
    Gary and Mom are in for a treat when they visit Michigan.

In the meantime, LA currently is 61.

34. reaLchaZZZy

reaLchaZZZy Junior Member

Jan 18, 2016

Very ignorant post.

35. djh36

djh36 Junior Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Time to queue the Wanna Get Away? commercial for socal...

36. BrownTrojan

BrownTrojan Junior Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Extreme longshot, I would be shocked if he chose SC. Kid is going to be a beast at Michigan !

37. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I would be worried if a parent didn't check out the schools. My parents did & so did I when my son was applying. Lucky SC filled all his needs. Fight On Mom!