News and Notes from the first days of USC basketball practices

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 26, 2019.

2. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Sep 26, 2019
    Better make the dance....

3. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 26, 2019
    Not really a basketball person, but love the increased content. Will definitely bring more eyeballs.

Only thing left is to find someone to write about the resurgent baseball program. Yes, I have hope.

Then water polo, golf, etc.

;-)

Carlsport likes this.
  4. MU5CLE

MU5CLE Junior Member

Sep 26, 2019
    Good stuff @Rich Ruben, it great to have some stories on bball. 4 years goes fast, Nick Rakocevic is a senior and I’m sure CAE expects big things from him this year.

During drills, how does Charles O’Bannon look? It would good to get some minutes out of Charles. See what he has after being at SC for two years.

Keep the articles coming!

Carlsport likes this.
  5. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben New Member

Sep 26, 2019
    In the portions of practice I have seen, I frankly have been more focused on the new players. I did see Chuck taking a series of threes in a shoot around setting, and he made a high percentage. I also saw him in a drill where a coach shot a ball off the board, one player took the offensive rebound and tried to get a good shot against a defender. Chuck was playing hard in both roles.

Carlsport likes this.
  6. Eeks2284

Eeks2284 Junior Member

Sep 27, 2019
    Glad to see WeAreSC increasing its B-Ball coverage, the program is at a tipping point and needs all the support it can get to become the perennial tourney contender we'd all like for them to be. This site is kind of a microcosm for why Galen's always empty, so it's cool you're trying to change that. Good players like to play in front of passionate crowds, so fans have to do their part too.

Appreciate Rich getting great access to the team and sharing news here since there's a lot of SC fans who visit this site. Rich, I feel like we haven't had a chance to get introduced to you as the WeAreSC voice of SC Hoops. Are you an SC hoops fan? Do you have an association with the university? Current student? Alumnus? Outside blogger or journalist?

What kind of content do you plan to focus on in the future? Team interviews? Podcasts? Game previews/summaries? I feel like the football side of WeAreSC has a terrific model, but I know you're just one reporter so have to be selective.

As for your articles, great start and love the coverage of USC hoops history, recruiting and now preseason. Hope you are able to find a good rhythm to keep content flowing! One tip, please double check name spellings. I imagine a number of players and their families visit this site and would get annoyed with having their name misspelled (e.g. Rakocevik instead of Racovick and Adlesh instead of Adelsh). Looking forward to seeing more of your content and welcome!

Fight On, Rich!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Carlsport likes this.
  7. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Sep 27, 2019
    Chuck put on a lot of muscle in the past two off-seasons.

8. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben New Member

Sep 27, 2019

9. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben New Member

Sep 27, 2019
    In answer to your questions, Eeks, I am an S.C. grad, and a very long time season ticket holder. I am a college BBall junky, attend all or almost every home game and attend all of the PAC 12 games every year, as well of a lot of NCAA tournament games.

Erik and I have exchanged ideas for the type of coverage we plan to provide. As of now, I plan to attend practice once or twice a week until the season starts, and posting coach and player interviews. Will also include any other information I am able to pick up. Once the season begins, I will post material from the post game interviews as often as I can, provide info I can obtain from a couple staff members I know, and any insight I have from games and warmups, but not a game story like you will find in a newspaper.

I will also provide a preseason status report a week or so before the first regular season game, covering likely lineups, rotations, etc and take a stab at season projections. And, will attempt to gather information about upcoming opponents, but will need to see If I can get enough info to make it worthwhile. Not sure yet if I will accompany the team on any road trips.

And thanks for the spelling tip.

MU5CLE, Carlsport and Eeks2284 like this.
  10. Eeks2284

Eeks2284 Junior Member

Sep 27, 2019
    Awesome, really looking forward to reading your work throughout the season. If you ever want to crowdsource questions, let us know ;)! Here's one: how does the team get back on track to playing fast and unselfish like when J-Mac was running the show?

Fight On!

11. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Sep 27, 2019
    Rich,
    You are what this board needs, unbiased knowledgable opinions with factual data. There is a lot of posters that want CAE out now. That is a common thread on this forum. They say he is bad with game management, developing players, and winning the big games. Some say we could have gotten Dixon a few years back - it that true?

There is some truth to the complaints but is there really a better option? Start over with a new coach and developing the high school relationships? CAE has had some good recruiting (I'm not referring to his wife), I'd argue some of the best in SC history. What are the pros and cons for a coach wanting to come here? There are not many top coaches. Look at who the bRuins hired and they are one of the elite coaching jobs. The bRuin coach has reached the big dance many times in his prior job but has never even won one game in the tourney (if memory is correct). Even our elite FB program hired Helton. My point is it isn't as easy as saying fire CAE. Hopefully our new AD will improve the entire BB environment. We want positive change!

Thanks Erik McKinney for bringing Rich on board!

12. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Oct 1, 2019
    This season following the basketball team more closely.
    The horses are there.
    Keep up this good coverage

13. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    One of the many problems with basketball has been in the past they are super closed door so we get no information. Enfield made comments that would imply they will open things up a little more this year. We go to most the games, it is a great team to watch, great environment, cheap, easy to park and get out. Good for families, kids love the games. Buy a ticket, you will enjoy the evening

Carlsport likes this.
  14. Carlsport

Carlsport Junior Member

Oct 2, 2019
    Totally agree on attending the games. The biggest problem with SC Hoops is the lack of fan support. I acknowledge that the University hasn't done a good job in opening up good seats (that go unused), but they did release more quality season tickets this year than in previous years (you can get season tickets at the FT line in the lower bowl for what works out to about $25/ticket - at least you could a month ago).

Its a chicken and egg thing - more fans will help the team (winning and recruiting), but also more winning will help bring the fans. Hopefully, SC will accomplish both this year. But until we have conference games close to sold out every time we will never be a national power.