New 3* linebacker commit...

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Pudly76, Feb 20, 2021.

2. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Feb 20, 2021
    And we had a post worrying about competing with Sark for elite recruits. I'm guessing Sark won't be going head to head with us for 3* recruits. He'll just snag 5* & 4* recruits from CA. and then take the top talent in Texas. He'll let us have all the 3 stars we want.

Arthur Jury likes this.
  3. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Feb 20, 2021
    A high school JUNIOR 210 lb. LB who runs track sprints is a good piece to start with.

Maybe he’ll blossom like an overlooked Kaluka Maiava......in the Cushing, Maualuga, Matthews days.

earlandnic, DaFireMedic and Moose4usc like this.
  4. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Feb 21, 2021
    I would suggest you do a little more research on this kid before drilling down on star gazing?

5. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

Feb 21, 2021
    Don’t bother trying to educate. Some people have to piss and moan because they can’t help themselves.

6. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Feb 21, 2021
    This is one where the recruiters seemed to have gotten ahead of the ratings. I read another article where they fully expect for this guy to reach at least for star status by the end of his final year. Really good size and instincts and has been receiving accolades for his leadership since his freshman season.

7. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Feb 22, 2021
    Now that the zone-read/spread scheme is the norm in college football, teams are having to adjust their defenses accordingly. Speed at linebacker is more important than ever because they've got to cover sideline to sideline all those little speedy receivers and and backs that run crossing routes over the middle. I love the fact that this kid can run. Gone are the days where a linebacker needed to take on offensive linemen every play.

8. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Points Member

Feb 22, 2021
    The position has changed dramatically.

Front foot vs back foot. When I played LBs first step would be towards the LOS naturally.

This is what the RPO takes advantage of in their scheme.
    Naturally LBs now have to read that QB and read the players around them.

Look for tales...

Anticipation is taken advantage of now. So ultimately you need the athletic ability to adjust.

9. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Feb 22, 2021

Yep....our lack of team speed has been obvious. I’ll take a quick, fast guy as long as he has good instincts and attacks.

10. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Feb 24, 2021
    My point is we should have a fence around CA. and then go after 5* talent in other states. I am guessing that is what Sark will be doing in Texas. I don't think he will be coming to CA. to recruit 3*s. He'll keep the best in Texas and then cherry pick outside the state. Half our staff is from Texas and yet we are pulling out 3* recruits with the potential for 4* stars from Texas. I'm not impressed with our recruiting the state with all the staff dedicated. Just my opinion.

11. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Feb 24, 2021
    Overall I am happy with a top recruiting class. I do wish we would recruit positions of need better or get better recruits at certain positions like the OL. I am just not happy about top recruits leaving CA. and us getting potential recruits from out of state in return.

12. Cardinalblood

Cardinalblood Junior Member

Feb 24, 2021
    And he will still be 7-5 every year. LOL.

13. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Feb 24, 2021
    I agree. I never said he was a good HC or would be. The topic I was referencing was if he could be a threat to recruit against us. I feel he is a great recruiter who will be able to pluck a few top players out of CA. He has prior experience recruiting the area, has just came off of the Saban staff, and is a good recruiter who will probably be offering a few elite recruits out here. I imagine there's a few RB's, QB's and even WR's that don't want to play in the Air Raid and would play in his Offense. I don't think those CA players he'll be offering will be 3*s. He'll go after top talent only. Just a guess.

14. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Feb 24, 2021
    I will admit that my frustrations with Helton and the fact we haven't replaced him has spilt into a post announcing a commitment and it is something I have never done before. This was the wrong time to display my frustrations for him and his staff. For this I am sorry.

15. Innocent Bystander

Feb 24, 2021
    2020 draft you had 4 LBs drafted in the first round

Isaiah Simmons Clemson
    Patrick Queen LSU
    Kenneth Murray Oklahoma
    Jordyn Brooks Tx Tech

None of them were considered Top 200 recruits

LB is getting close to OL.
    Don't really understand what you have. Just have to trust the staff has an idea of what they are looking for.

Queen was a CB in high school. Dave Aranda moved him to LB

16. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Feb 25, 2021
    I agree. You never know how a player is going to turn out. When you look at that list you have to look at the schools and coaches they played for. Who developed them. Some coaches can take 3* players and develope them into great players. On the other hand Helton is known to get less with more. Players are said to regress under him. Players who played for him have been said to have made it on natural talent more so than the coaching they received under Helton and his staffs. Again I was wrong bring this up during his commitment. I hope he has a great career at USC and he graduates.

17. Innocent Bystander

Feb 25, 2021
    Multiple reasons for the failure.
    Let's think about today and the future
    Could be because two of them are from Houston.
    But Todd Orlando offered two of them.
    Plus Orlando is called a poor man's Dave Aranda. Aranda coached Patrick Queen.

18. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Feb 25, 2021
    You're right. Hopefully the future will be bright. I personally want a new HC. I wish this kid and all our players the best. Fight on!

19. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 26, 2021
    I spoke with Craig Naivar earlier this week for an upcoming story. He said the first thing they realized as a defensive staff when they got here was that they had to improve the team speed.

CrownoftheValley likes this.