NCAA Hits Oklahoma State BB with 1 year Post Season Ban

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by PacTrojan, Jun 6, 2020.

1. NCAA Hits Oklahoma State BB with 1 year Post Season Ban
    PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Hi Erik.

Reading the NCAA press release on its decision to sanction OSU with a one year post season ban and three years probation, I'm trying to guess what will happen to USC from the Tony Bland case. While similar and both are part of the FBI/DOJ investigation Bland seems to be different in the magnitude. From what I recall Bland took a couple thousand dollars and pocketed the money for partying and strip clubs, but didn't actually talk to USC players about signing with agents/financial advisors. The OSU assistant coach Evans took a plea deal and received three months in federal prison - Bland also took a plea deal and received only a couple months of probation. So what are your thoughts on how bad will it be for USC?

2. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Jun 6, 2020
    That was a severe penalty especially since, per the NCAA, the school wasn't guilty of lack of institutional control or the head coach was not involved. What about Wade at LSU or Miller at AZ Wildca$h?
    Will Wade was heard on a wiretapped call discussing a “strong-ass offer” to a recruit with an aspiring agent.
    Sean Miller was heard saying similar things on a FBI wiretap.
    These are HC's who should be held to an entirely different standard than an AHC. I can't understand why they still have jobs. I think the punishment to those schools should be 5-10 times more severe and the coaches fired.
    I'm sure the NCAA will hand down a fair punishment to the Trojans :)

3. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Jun 6, 2020
    After watching the HBO show it is very hard to find Bland doing anything wrong other than show up to a meeting.

4. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jun 7, 2020
    I think this is the hope. It definitely feels like he was one of the least involved in anything going on, plus USC already sat Melton for so, oh who am I kidding, like there's any possible way to know what the NCAA will do.

5. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Hard to believe that USC wont get any penalties, esp after OSU.

How severe? Thats the $64k question

6. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Jun 11, 2020
    I would never trust the NCAA to do what is right and just. I imagine our penalties will be similar to OSU