NCAA has launched an investigation into the Arizona basketball

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by Alta Loma Trojan, May 4, 2019.

1. NCAA has launched an investigation into the Arizona basketball
    Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

May 4, 2019
    The NCAA has launched an investigation into the Arizona men's basketball program, a university spokesman confirmed to the Arizona Daily Star in Tucson on Friday night.
    There may be one less program to compete with. If true (and it probably is), I hope Miller never coaches again and the AZ program goes down for a long time. No respect for cheating.

2. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    Please explain to me where MILLER cheated?

3. Alta Loma Trojan

May 5, 2019
    He is under investigation for paying Ayton 10k/mo. And if he paid him, he probably paid many others. That is cheating the system. If true, I hope they are placed on probation and lose scholarships for many years. And he would be fired.

4. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

May 7, 2019
    There is a lot of speculation there, with no evidence.
    I bounce back between both sites as many know my fanaticism with USC and Arizona.

One thing I’ve noticed is LOTS of people want Arizona to fall, but we aren’t even the “best” program that has been mentioned here but why are we getting so much heat?
    ESPN will run anti-Arizona whenever they can but there hasn’t been anything to hold onto aside from Book dealing with Dawkins; no different than what Bland did here at USC, but I don’t see anyone here calling for CAE to be fired.

At the end of it, it is clear people want Arizona to fall, which I don’t understand because my vision is tainted.
    Two years later and NOTHING has been found on Miller?
    Let me guess, he’s done a good job of covering his tracks?
    I’ll take heat from anyone here, but show me EVIDENCE that Miller has done anything wrong other than not know his assistant was trying to hustle his way up the coaching ladder.

5. Alta Loma Trojan

May 7, 2019
    SC message boards is the wrong place to get sympathy on potential sanctions. SC may have won the PAC-12 regular season if the AZ Wildcash didn't have Ayton - and made the NCAA tourney. Did the NCAA ever definitively prove anything with the FB program and years later we are still feeling the effects. Nothing personal, I don’t like any school other than SC. I’m not saying he is guilty, I said “If true”. If Miller is guilty, he should be fired and the BB program placed on probation with the loss of scholarships.

If CAE was directly involved in what Bland did – HE SHOULD BE FIRED! The investigation is what Head Coach Miller did directly – much different that an assistant coach acting on his own. How can you compare what Bland did and what Miller is being investigated for? I have not seen any testimony that links CAE to payments. SC fired Floyd for alleged payments that were never proven. I’m sure the FBI will find the evidence if Miller is guilty. I think Miller's days are numbered.

gubo&palanka and mvpreed2 like this.
  6. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

May 7, 2019
    Good point on Ayton and impact on NCAA berths....yeah, USC definitely would have made it...

7. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

May 7, 2019
    First off, sympathy is not what I “looking for” but I’ve noticed everyone is ready for Arizona to fall; fact not sympathy.

I didn’t compare Miller to Bland.
    I said the only thing we have evidence of is Book taking money to hustle his way into a better coaching position, the same thing Bland did.

If Miller is guilty, he’s out and we move on, but to root against another program?
    Maybe it’s just me and my growth but if it isn’t USC come fall, or Arizona come winter, I don’t care about the other 350+ DI programs, and that was my point.

8. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

May 7, 2019
    Trying to link your tourney berth to one game is insane.
    Yes you made it to the PAC-12 tourney final, but had you won more games before that, there wouldn’t be so much weight on a single game.

I’m probably not going to be able to understand it since I am behind enemy lines on this one.
    If my memory is correct, I still thought USC was getting an at-large bid that year as did several other national media.

9. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

May 7, 2019
    Missing the tournament last year had nothing whatsoever to do with Ayton. It was the pre-conference games that killed us.

10. Alta Loma Trojan

May 7, 2019
    It wasn't the game we played with AZ. We finished 2nd in the standings. We just had to finish ahead of them to get an automatic NCAA berth. Other PAC12 teams could have beaten them to move them down, not just us.

11. Alta Loma Trojan

May 7, 2019

12. Alta Loma Trojan

May 7, 2019
    When AZ plays the Bruins, I'm your #1 fan.

13. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    May 18, 2019
    Does the NCAA only launch investigations into the flagship programs of the Pac-12?

They neuter SC football and maybe want to do the same to Zona basketball? What kind of fair-minded stewardship is this?

14. Alta Loma Trojan

May 18, 2019
    The difference with Miller is that he is the Head Coach and accused of directly paying a player. At the other schools, it is the assistants without the involvement of the HC. And I wouldn't call AZ a flagship school.

But the NCAA did target SC FB because of your reason.

15. Alta Loma Trojan

May 20, 2019
    I think that CAE is an ethical person that would not put illegal recruiting above his family's (wife, kids) reputation. Miller on the other hand would sell his mother for an advantage. No evidence, just my gut feeling. We'll see how this plays out.

16. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Ok my man...what is the latest?

Still confident UofA won't get any penalties?

mvpreed2 likes this.
  17. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jun 9, 2019
    Yes I am.
    Any further questions your honor?

18. Alta Loma Trojan

Jun 9, 2019
    I don't have any grip with the AZ sports teams. I just want the NCAA to be fair with the punishment, which the SC FB program didn't get. I'm the #1 AZ fan when they play FUCLA.

mvpreed2 likes this.
  19. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jun 9, 2019
    Lol...good for you...i have a feeling UA will get hit with something, but probably not too harsh of a penalty....

20. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jun 10, 2019
    If they do then I was wrong, and maybe my fanaticism is clouding my judgment.
    I just don’t see it happening, especially when I don’t remember there being a case similar to reference this to.

Assistant deals with a handler, some dealings were to pay players to come to Arizona (allegedly; couldn’t be proven). Also, he promises to deliver prospects to select agents/shoe companies once they declare for the NBA.
    From what I read/heard, Book was doing this all on his own; Miller did not know.

Now, if it comes out that we get hit, Miller did know, or anything that contradicts what I said, I will be the first one in here apologizing and admitting I was wrong.