Nakias has even more to worry about

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by 3XUSCDad, May 23, 2018.

2. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

May 23, 2018
    This goes beyond USC. Title IX has run its course. The male minority needs to fight back and protect their rights for equal access and equal treatment to change out-dated guidelines, which are now having the reverse effect.

BlueBlood, Rodgarnay51 and GoSC1 like this.
  3. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

May 23, 2018
    Give me a break.

4. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

May 25, 2018
    Its about time...(not that SC is being investigated) . I have found it very interesting that there was so much emphasis on fixing the gap when males outnumbered females in the college ranks, but you can literally hear a pin drop now that females outnumber the males in college. Personally,
    I will love it when a male sues the Girl Scouts for discrimination...

5. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 25, 2018
    I'm not a fan of too much intervention or intervention that goes unmeasured or unchecked over some period of time. However, I don't think it's accurate to say that nobody is talking about it. Colleges still need students, male or female to meet their financial goals. You'll find colleges that were formerly all-female that are actively recruiting men.

And frankly, one of the key reason why there are fewer men isn't the fault of the colleges nor of the laws. It's self-selection. Boys are slower learners at early stages and some lose interest in formal education by the time they hit high school. At the lower end of the socioeconomic scale, boys and their families have a hard time trying to accept the high cost of a college education with a payoff that may not occur for a long time.

Who are today's male role models? Turn to ESPN for your answer. Who needs a college degree to get on ESPN?

College degrees don't always equate to a massive salary immediately after graduation. A solid worker with tech or trade skills and 4-5 years OTJ experience could very well end up with more money than a college grad but what they won't have is the college loan debt to pay off.

So in a lot of ways, college became a better option for women who didn't have as much earning capacity without a college degree but it's not necessarily the same for men. Where you see the gap now is in STEM degrees (much higher post graduation salaries). Male students are about twice as likely as female students to enter STEM fields. In fact, "The 2015 STEM Index, created with support from Raytheon, shows a slight uptick in STEM-related education and employment activity in the United States compared to last year. But the raw data show gaps between the men and women and between whites and minorities remain deeply entrenched -- and, in some cases, have even widened.

With few exceptions, women lag behind men in the number of STEM degrees granted, exam scores and general interest in the STEM fields. White and Asian students and college graduates overwhelmingly outperformed black, Hispanic and American Indian students in all three metrics."

"A February report by the STEM advocacy group Change the Equation, which found that the STEM workforce is no more diverse now than it was 14 years ago. Another report last year by the National Science Board also found women and minorities remain underrepresented in the STEM fields."

Is that really sexism or self-selection? I think it's the latter.

Really? Why is that? BTW, if a boy wants to join the GSA, all they have to do is wear a dress and say they feel like a girl.

6. denali15

denali15 Points Member

May 25, 2018
    Echoing your thought...something like half of all college students don't graduate--even from CCs. Those folks do pile up student debt, however.

If you include students who don't bother going to college, far less than half of HS students graduate college. It's a waste of resources to teach a "college track" to everyone, when most won't graduate. My guess is that VB is correct in guessing that skipping college may work better for men than women. Graduating college isn't necessary anymore to make a good living. OJT matters more, in many companies.

Something that might make you feel better about all those FB sociology majors...

7. Ricky Bell 42

Ricky Bell 42 Junior Member

May 25, 2018
    Odd statement at the end there. Girls that want to join boyscouts or other male organizations shouldsaythey feel like a boy?

8. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

May 25, 2018
    And, also, why does a boy have to wear a dress to join the Girl Scouts? Shouldn't they alter the dress code to accommodate?

9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 25, 2018
    To follow on that...listening to statistics from our local high school regarding last year's class. The largest percent of grads went to local CC's. Of those, less than 20% went on to a 4-year college.

One only need peruse the list of Majors at most colleges and universities to understand why fewer men are attending. In researching colleges as my oldest gets close to that point, there hasn't been a single one that doesn't offer Women's Studies, LBGT Studies, every kind of Minority studies, etc. It's become "soft" education. There have been what I thought were decent schools who don't offer a couple of science-related majors. Sad.
    From the GSA website....

"The inclusive, all-female environment of a Girl Scout troop creates a safe space where girls can try new things, develop a range of skills, take on leadership roles, and just be themselves"

and yet....

"If the child is recognized by the family and school/community as a girl and lives culturally as a girl, then Girl Scouts is an organization that can serve her in a setting that is both emotionally and physically safe"

That's their policy.
    Girl Scouts need safe spaces. Apparently that doesn't include boys who dress of act like boys.

10. Ricky Bell 42

May 25, 2018
    Trans studies? Celebrating a mental illness?

11. Ricky Bell 42

May 25, 2018

Boys can't have safe spaces?

12. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

May 25, 2018
    Apparently....separate but equal? That didn't go so well the last time it was tried

13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 25, 2018
    I'm not specifically involved with the Girl Scouts, never have been so I can't address their policy. They've made it clear they are a GIRLS organization and only want GIRLS. They believe themselves to be THE authority on what GIRLS need and how to teach GIRLS to be leaders.

I'm sure there are some boys who may want or need a safe space. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess they are the ones who may end up in the Girl Scouts. I have one daughter and one son. Neither needs a safe space but one of them will be an Eagle Scout soon enough.

14. Ricky Bell 42

May 25, 2018
    Wow, have you gone off the deep end? BOYS have organizations that look out for the need of BOYS. MEN have organizations that look out for MEN. that should work both ways. Why do LIBERAL BITCHES think that MEN and BOYS are not allowed to?

Alfa1 likes this.
  15. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

May 25, 2018
    If I were mod here, I'd ban your ass.

16. Ricky Bell 42

May 25, 2018
    For what?

17. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

May 25, 2018
    Bringing politics into a football board and being a boor.

18. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

May 25, 2018
    Rather offensive statement don’t you think?