Musings from Arledge: Transfer Portal, Clemson, and Palaie

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Feb 13, 2019.

1. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 17, 2019
    No true fan of college sports should agree. I started hating the NFL the day that they started taking underclassmen. College.basketball has been ruined by
    your system

2. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Feb 17, 2019
    So you want kids chained to a school instead of earning millions in the pros. Your position is untenable if one believes in the free market.

The NFL and the NBA didn’t start forcibly “taking” kids at gunpoint, the kids volunteered to leave school and start their professional careers. That is free market capitalism at its finest.

You are on the wrong side of this.

3. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 17, 2019
    No I am not.

I want to like college sports. Baseball has a better system. If a kid does not want.to go to college, he can sign
    Otherwise, 3 years.

Nobody chains these kids to the school.
    Yeah, a few guys make millions, most do not. College basketball is ruined.
    It really did.not hurt Wilt to have to wait one more year to get wealthy

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  4. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Feb 17, 2019
    Yes, you are. College Basketball isn’t ruined. College Football isn’t ruined. Why should a kid have to wait 3 years if he is MLB, NFL, or NBA ready in one or two? The coaches can leave if they want. You aren’t forced to buy tickets, you can choose not to go to a game. You want the kids choices restricted.

5. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 17, 2019
    I am not wrong, you are. College basketball is terrible.

.teams have no continuity, do not learn.to play together as units.

And.these multimillionaire 18 year olds, have money, but no education or.adult skills. The washouts do not even have the.money

6. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Feb 17, 2019

This.

All players/students need a back up plan. Even those who “make it” do not last long.

The percentage of those who can make a career out of it is small.

7. eliminator207

eliminator207 Junior Member

Feb 17, 2019
    Here is a heretic proposal. Let's eliminate athletic scholarships completely. Let's make our Colleges and Universities academic institutions who only provide scholarships for academic achievements. It kind of sounds like Ivy League schools. Let the academic athletes who attend the school on their own play for the school. If the academic athlete is desired by a professional team, the academic athlete can skip school and go for it. If the academic athlete isn't desired by an professional team, the academic athlete can continue on, get a degree, and go into another profession. If an athlete can't afford school, he or she either qualifies to be hired by a professional team or the athlete gets a job just like non-athletes.

This will be a problem for private schools like USC because of the tuition level, but it eliminates all of the problems that this thread and other threads that talk about compensation to athletes have discussed. What we have is semi-pro college teams where the players are involuntary servitude participants, with some benefits, but benefits that are disproportional to the revenue that is produced from their labor.

Like I said, a heretic proposal. I'm not advocating it, I'm just throwing it out. It gets rid of the NCAA.

8. Mightymoe77

Mightymoe77 Points Member

Feb 21, 2019
    Whew! Please don't ever scare me like that again with your title for the article reading "Transfer Portal, Clemson, Palaie."
    I haven't read on the site for few days and thought we lost EA to Clemson. I would have lost it and cancelled Christmas this year because of it.