Musings from Arledge: Titanic, Troy, and Tortillas

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Jan 15, 2020
    I’ll probably make it to at least one

DaFireMedic likes this.
  2. 1969Trojan

1969Trojan Junior Member

Jan 15, 2020
    We should thank Pat Haden for the "Home Run" decision he made! Coach O , like Pete Carroll, is a defense-minded coach. He is an excellent recruiter and team motivator. When he was here he was admired by the SC players and fans. The difference between the current LSU football team and the SC football team is from here to Jupiter. It would take years and years for USC to come back to the elite team it was during McKay, Robinson I, and PC eras.

eliminator207 and 84Trojan like this.
  3. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jan 16, 2020
    I disagree, wouldn't be an overnight transition, but could change in 3-4 years with the right commitment to making it elite. Focus and funding.

4. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jan 16, 2020
    Great work! Love the mixture of humor with reality.

In the movie, the two tried to share the headboard in the water, but it did not hold both so Jack slipped back in the water. However, your point that you can have both academics and a great football team is well stated. Or that you can address the scandals and still take steps to restore a great football program on the path to greatness. Or walk and chew gum at the same time... That's what Dr. Folt seems to be missing. The only excuse that I could stand would be that the personnel and culture in the athletic department are so bad that the foundation to establish a great football program is lacking (no outside interest) and timing required keeping Helton for one more year. For example, my personal interactions with Ron Orr were never very good in spite of being a donor and based on posts others have received similar treatment. And that's just one man.

5. User1234

User1234 Junior Member

Jan 16, 2020
    Bravo again and maximum dittos Chris. I never tire of your sarcastic wit, wrt SC football. But if there was ever a year in the past decade for a Pac-12 team to beat Alabama, this would have been it, as they are re-organizing again and losing some people and that big Mo and some swagger along with it. Really though, if all the planets lined up we might beat the spread instead of another epic blow out embarrassing loss in Jerry's house on national TV.

6. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 16, 2020
    Good football and good academics are not mutually exclusive, Folt you dolt!

7. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Jan 16, 2020
    It’s frustrating to hear our admin talk about integrity while lying to the students, alumnus, and fans. Haden lied to all of us on several occasions. Bohn isn’t here 10 minutes and he’s already lying. Folt’s supporting the lies and I would bet manufacturing her own whoppers. All this while Tessalone appears to be blessing the corrupt narrative. Hopefully, when given the chance our “reporters” will put their stenography down long enough to ask these people why they’re lying to those that put food on their table.
    With that said I look forward to seeing those recruits Bohn mentioned. They should be AMAZING!

8. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I mean, isn't that kind of what we have now?

9. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    While I agree in principle, can you name me a school(s) who have both ELITE academics AND an elite football team? Football, not water polo, or women's volleyball, or gymnastics, or any other Olympics sport - we are talking about THE sport, the one Americans actually care to pay millions of dollars to watch and follow and support.

10. OC2SC

OC2SC Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    List of good football programs and corresponding ACT 25%-75% percentile range using the ACT scores as a real quick and high level proxy for how "elite" the school is. Obviously ACT is not anywhere near an all encompassing measure of a school, but I think the corresponding numbers align pretty well with national perception of the schools.

Michigan and Notre Dame degrees certainly carry the same weight as a USC degree nationally.

The next tier of schools are all very respectable degrees representing flagship public universities for those states. If a resume came across my desk from one of these schools, I would perceive the quality of education as very high.

Then you have the last tier of schools (SEC + Oregon) where the "value" of the degree might be good within their specific state/adjoining states, but probably not perceived too high nationally.

USC 31-35

Michigan 32-35
    Notre Dame 33-35

Georgia 30-34
    Florida 29-33
    Texas 27-33
    Washington 27-33
    Penn State 28-32
    Clemson 27-32
    Wisconsin 27-32

Alabama 23-31
    Oklahoma 23-29
    LSU 23-28
    Oregon 22-28

11. cannonballjamaal

cannonballjamaal Junior Member

Jan 20, 2020
    I think Saban could beat Helton at tic-tac-toe even if Clay got the first THREE turns.