Musings from Arledge: The Urban Meyer question, and answer

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Alfa1

Alfa1 Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    You Mr. Duck are the last that should be last mouthing anything about integrity in football, with your past Hero Chip Kelly’s shenanigans that brought a show cause penalty.
    You might spend your energy trying to clean up that dump called Portland, rather than inviting yourself into a Trojan Family Matter.

2. Alfa1

Alfa1 Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Dylan Hernandez’ agenda may be something more that that of a virtue signaling sports writer, he, being a RUIN GRAD couldn’t possibly be concerned that with Meyer on board USC would not only consistently crush Bel Air Tech....but rule the state of football in the PAC12....naw, I didn’t think so.

Rainman44, Troy70 and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. 1969Trojan

1969Trojan Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Lyn the Duck: I don't know why people like you or USCway are so interested in posting these negative stuff on USC fan board. You could do it on UCLA or Oregon fan boards. We are not really interested in these comments and you are wasting your time. It's obvious that Oregon, UCLA, and Notre dame fans hate seeing USC dominate college football again. Right?

4. Barneyfife

Barneyfife Active Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Thank goodness someone said it. These pompous, self righteous windbags need to fly their “I’m so important” flags somewhere else. Urban Meyer is the right person for this job. He sends the message that we want to achieve. He is not a banner for failure. Plaschke can write about 100 other hires that Bohn will make. That will be the “Bohn Identity.”

5. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Perhaps, a certain WeAreSC contributor would consider writing an OpEd piece and sending it to the editor of the LA Times. Because this was the most reasonable and honest write-up on the Urban Meyer to USC topic to date. Fight On, Chris Arledge!

6. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 10, 2019
    Thank you!

I was disappointed that Katz called the LA Times writes "powerful." And intimated that people would be swayed by what they did or did not endorse.

They are just sports writers. Out for their free lunch to add to their waist line and then ready to pen their sanctimonious opinions. <belch.fart>

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    LaissezFaire28thStUSC likes this.
  7. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 10, 2019
    When are you going to get off your high horse?

8. twenty twenty

twenty twenty Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Dump Helton and hire Urban Meyer.
    Meyer is the answer, whether the LA Times or others pretending to have interest in SC believe so.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. JMac

JMac Points Member

Nov 10, 2019
    This is a very well reasoned postion. However, the lttany of UM's "offenses" is actually a lot more lengthy than I had remembered. This is not about punishing Meyer. It's about trying to resurect a great institution's damaged legacy. The Times has spent a decade exposing USC's mistakes, and I have cringed at every revelation. But honestly, were any of them inaccurate, perhaps with the exception of some of the personal attacks on Pat Haden? The only way that I could see UM being hired here is if he agreed to a complete mea culpa upon accepting the job. And why on earth would he agree to that? I have loved Trojan football for 50+ years, but this time I will have to accept the decisions of the administrators who have been brought in to clean up the entire mess. Fight On!

CP619 and ConquerorSC like this.
  10. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Well said. If you look at those arrest records, many were public intoxication not rape. LA Times are highlighting the arrest rates but provides zero comparison with other blue blood programs. A coach can only do so much and can’t control what kids will do during their free time, this is when parenting comes into play.

gubo&palanka and JMac like this.
  11. DrJohnDC

DrJohnDC Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    While integrity was a significant watchword for President Folt and the new AD Bohn there was also a great deal of emphasis placed on a person "learning from their mistakes". President Folt commented that was one of the traits she was looking for in an administrator. And AD Bohn talked about learning from his mistakes (if I remember correctly).
    I have had reservations about Urban Meyer, not as a coach, but in terms of his ethics with regards to all of the above mentioned problems. However, if President Folt is convinced that he has learned from his past mistakes, and he publicly acknowledges that he has gone in 100% with Folt's and Bohn's vision of USC athletics, and will coach with integrity, and hold our athletes to those same levels of integrity; then maybe this will work. This has to be done upfront, and center stage with no quibbles or qualifications. If so, I think a lot of the Meyer naysayers would have to quiet down, and as almost always happens in sports, give him (Meyer) another chance.

Fight ON

Troy70 likes this.
  12. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    That was a brilliant article! Wow! Thanks Chris!

A number of things struck me, but mostly, your point (I paraphrase) that of all the negative accusations and or implications that are attached to Meyer, from Florida to Zack Williams, nothing standouts sufficiently to deny him the opportunity to pursue his career, and, the other-side of that coin, for USC to self impose a penalty on themselves by not hiring him. That really netted it out.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  13. Mario H.

Mario H. Member

Nov 10, 2019
    We have one now.
    I get that, there has been more mistakes than anyone would want to see for sure. I honestly can’t say why president Folz was hired. What I can say is that the expectation of self punishment has become a common place. It’s Fight On! Not Punish On! I for one am done with that mentality. Perhaps the Times should look at the NCAA with the same magnifying glass that they look at us with. It’s USC’s responsibility to align itself with winners, as that has been paramount on the field and in the classroom. It’s who we are. I for one choose to Fight On!! Don’t self punish, go get yourself one hell of a couch. Go get UM.

14. Mario H.

Mario H. Member

Nov 10, 2019
    I agree. Well said

15. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Those of us who have questioned the how wise, how smart, or how principled a CUM hire would be, especially for a university in USC’s predicament, have been attacked and largely silenced. That’s why you don’t see that opinion on this blog as much and several of those commenters have disappeared over the past few months.

what Arledge’s article completely misses is that Meyer’s mistakes, and yes, they are very serious as stipulated by Arledge himself (particularly his lies about the Smith situation to try to cover his side up) are cause for serious concern, especially at an institution where lying, obfuscation, special privileges, entitlement, greed, and scandals have rotted the university and shaken it to its core.

USC purportedly hired Folt to change the negative culture and put the university on a positive track, yet gave malevolent Max Nikias a lifetime seat on the BOT. That already looks extremely suspect and many alums wonder if anything will actually change for the better.
    A university with fewer problems and scandals would be hesitant to hire UM, especially after the Smith incident. Many would see him (and his pattern of obfuscation) as a major liability and pass on him completely. The bottom line is that its too soon. He is tainted and he will take that reputation to any coaching opening. His health is also not great. Give him a year or two. Watch what he does and see if no other controversies arise from CUM. unfortunately, all of the recent scandals come with horrible timing for USC, but that is a wound that was self-inflicted by a corrupt culture that went all the way up to the top administration and the BOT.
    There are amazing and even championship-level coaches out there without health issues and baggage. Bohn should cast a wide net and perform due diligence to find the very best, honest coach who wouldn’t further cast a negative spotlight and bad attention on USC.

16. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 10, 2019
    You know what you can do with your feelings Mr Duck. We have the feeling that Coach Meyer may pull a few duck feathers and that's the reason for your post.

17. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Who might be this coach without a spot or wrinkle on his reputation?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  18. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Any suggestions about who this honest coach might be....because USC currently has a supposedly honest coach right now and that isn't working out so well. College football is a multi-million dollar business. I don't see any coaches in college football that have those saint like qualities. Dabo, Kelley, Saban, Franklin?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  19. K9Buck

K9Buck Points Member

Nov 10, 2019
    The definition of a "lie" is making a statement that one KNOWS is not accurate. What was Urban Meyer's "lie"?

20. K9Buck

K9Buck Points Member

Nov 10, 2019
    One knock on Urban Meyer is that he is loyal to people to a fault. He kept his friend and failing defensive coordinator, Greg Schiano, on staff despite OSU's terrible defense the past two seasons. He also hired the best man at his wedding to be his linebacker's coach.

Ryan Day decided not to retain either of them, along with the secondary coach, and now OSU had the #1 scoring defense in the nation.

One quality that I like about Nick Saban is that, I don't think he's real chummy with his coaches. If they're getting it done, they're shown the door. Urban needs to me more like Nick in that regard.