Musings from Arledge: The Urban Meyer question, and answer

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Nov 9, 2019 at 10:34 AM.

2. BuTrojan

BuTrojan Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:57 AM
    Amen. There’s substantial booster support for Urban. I don’t hear of substantial support for any other candidate

3. OrangeBill

OrangeBill Points Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:58 AM
    As expected, an eloquent--and supremely rational--commentary from Chris that addresses the misguided slings and arrows while providing a compelling argument for hiring Coach Meyer. I motion that we ask Chris to share his letter with Mike Bohn, Carol Folt and the Times. We can hardly make a better case.

4. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    Well written article
    Yes Urban Meyer is not the master criminal that some portray him to be
    He was a greatly successful HC and that comes with the territory

5. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:06 AM
    This is all about not wanting SC to get Meyer. If Another program was going after him would the local media be writing these articles? Probably not, iy sucks that we have to share this city w UCLA fans. I seriously think you should pen this as a letter to the editor or guest column to the LA Times.

6. Lawyer John

Lawyer John Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    Hey, who said lawyers can't write. That article explored the facts and evidence involved with Meyer, and I love the conclusion: Critics don't want Meyer at SC "out of some generalized notion that Meyer is a bad guy. That just isn't good enough." Boy, aren't we all guilty of judging people based on a fact or two.

7. ClovisTroy

ClovisTroy Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:24 AM
    I'll echo the others. Thank you for writing this and responding to the Times bully pulpit.

I'm not a Plaschke hater, in fact, I like a lot of what he's written over the years. And while I acknowledge my overt love (hence bias) for USC football, Plaschke's articles over the past several days against the hiring of Urban Meyer have been patronizingly pious. Clearly his mission is to "save" us from Urban's evil.

I'm actually more optimistic about SC hiring Meyer by President Folt and AD Bohn's obvious use of the word "integrity" recently. I think they are laying the foundation for saying things like they have vetted Urban Meyer and believe he has improved as a person and has learned from his mistakes.

Fight on! ...and hire Urban Meyer!

dbw021, gubo&palanka, USC92 and 4 others like this.
  8. Lawyer John

Lawyer John Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:31 AM
    But got to talk about the game in one-hour.

I liked SC's chances when I heard the ASU hot-shot quarterback might not play, but it sounds as if that was ASU propaganda. So now I don't like Troy's chances:

ASU has a stout running defense; SC has a 10-carry freshman; this means Slovis will be relegated to throwing 50 times again, a formula for failure.

The 'Devils Benjamin is a tough little runner, and SC's problems with tackling will only be magnified.

Sellout crowd will be loud when SC has the ball.

However, ASU only averages 23 points a game (which was affected by the 3 they scored against Utah), so if SC can hold them to their average the Trojans have a boxer's chance to pull this one out. But don't bet on it.

31-24 ASU (never did like devils or sundevils)

9. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:48 AM
    Another excellent article, Chris. Plaschke and Hernadez get their painties in a bunch over the prospect of SC hiring Meyer, but are silent when our rival hires a coach who was soliciting bribes for players. Talk about selective outrage! I am concerned the SC administration will cave in to the "Mob" and pass on Meyer, which is a shame, because his impact on the program would be monumental.

dbw021 and gubo&palanka like this.
  10. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:36 PM
    One thing I know for sure is that with an Urban Meyer hire the USC media guide will need to be issued in six volumes - four volumes to cover only Urban's accomplishments.

travyav, JC SOXX and BREWcorp like this.
  11. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:55 PM
    Written like a true defense attorney! Well Done!
    Fight On!

gubo&palanka and Hockey10 like this.
  12. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:54 PM
    Brilliant rebuttal to the idiotic LA Times articles written by people who obviously don’t want SC football to succeed.

The article also expresses my opinion perfectly, but far more eloquently that I could do myself (and I have tried in many posts in this forum).

Fight On Chris!!

Now lets go get Meyer and end this dark age of our football program and go back to glory days.

travyav, redeye, gubo&palanka and 3 others like this.
  13. BigGuard

BigGuard Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 2:06 PM
    Well done! Thanks for articulating what most of us on here have thought.

Fight On!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. oc trojan

oc trojan Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 2:42 PM
    Hey Plascke and Hernandez, this is what a sportswriter looks like. What s shame that a novice writer makes you both look like 5th grade creative writers. You both are so pathetic.

15. 1stNGoalSC

1stNGoalSC Active Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 4:50 PM
    Always look forward to your articles, Chris, and excellent points as always. This is an intelligent and well thought out article based on facts and reason rather than biased preconception.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. USCHusbandUCLAWife

USCHusbandUCLAWife Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:26 PM
    Excellent article, but I think it's unlikely USC hires Urban Meyer even if he were a saint. SEC schools have boosters that care about football. Oil men types of guys. USC does not, and that's why we've had so many disappointing football coach hires. USC has never spent top dollars for a new coach. Someone like Rick Caruso is thinking, "if we can get a successful coach for $3 million, that would save us $6 million a year by not hiring Urban Meyer." He and his trustee friends don't get recruiting and they don't get football. I hope as much as anyone that USC hires Urban Meyer, but every four or five years I get my hopes up for nothing, and I'm not getting my hopes up again.