Musings from Arledge: The Streak, the Empire, and USC - Notre Dame

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Oct 7, 2019.

1. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Oct 7, 2019
    BEWARE images (50).jpeg DOMERS! WE'RE COMING 4 U!

2. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Oct 7, 2019
    Beautiful writing.

I am one of those fans who want to cancel the series. Without decent coaching we are just going to be fodder for them into the near future. I don't want to live through that.

Too bad Marv Goux isn't around to remind Helton and the kids the history of the game, what this game means. Helton is leading -- er, accompanying -- the kids to South Bend and treating it like it's just another game. "We can lose it and still play in Santa Clara."

Tragic.

Merlin4SC and SoCalN8tiv like this.
  3. North Coaster

North Coaster Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Really excited to see my first USC-ND game in South Bend this weekend. Bucket list item for me. Perfect year for it, because I have ZERO expectations for a Trojan victory; so I'm guaranteed not to be disappointed. And if a miracle happens...

ClovisTroy likes this.
  4. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Great article, Chris.

I too, grew up with the specter of The Streak at the time I became a USC fan. The Monsignor at the church we attended was an actual Irishman, and an unabashed Notre Dame fan. He took great pleasure in needling the numerous Trojan fans in our congregation, gleefully reporting the score on the Sundays following the USC-ND game.

It was a very dark time, and I wondered how God could have a messenger who clearly was in cahoots with Satan.

I also attended USC when the streak was running concurrently with the UCLA streak. Yup, we were 0-7-1 against our archrivals during my time at Troy, and talk about PTSD. To this day I have an irrational hatred for Bruin and Irish fans, and while I know schaedenfreude is only for the spiteful and jealous, I can't help feel satisfaction when I see either of those teams lose. A few years ago when UCLA played against Notre Dame, I fervently hoped for a nuclear detonation or meteor strike, or at least a release of Sarin gas.

So, while I fully expect a thorough beatdown of our team on Saturday, I will never cheer for our team to lose in hopes of getting a new coach. If he loses often enough, he'll fire himself and we won't need to worry about it. We could be coached by a collection of Hackett, Tollner, Smith, Helton and Hue Jackson, and I'll still fervently root for our team.

Fight on and Beat the Irish!

gubo&palanka and GoSC1 like this.
  5. Trojsteve5

Trojsteve5 Junior Member

Oct 7, 2019
  6. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Oct 8, 2019
    If we only win one game the rest of the way then I hope it's this one against ND.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    gubo&palanka and DJ4SC like this.
  7. SCBirnkrant81

SCBirnkrant81 Junior Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Thank you, great article. Hopefully, exchanging hugs, compliments on being a warrior, and all those scary tackling stories prepared our Trojans for their rivals from South Bend. Fight On! Beat the Domers...

OC2SC, ClovisTroy and gubo&palanka like this.
  8. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Oct 8, 2019
    I understand the sentiment, I remember the frustration I felt every year during that horrible streak where we could not beat either ND or UCLA for something like a decade. But in my 47 years of loving Trojan football, I have learned a lot. One of the things I learned is that college football is cyclical. During the Dark Ages, I felt that SC football would never be at the level it was during the McKay and Robinson I years ever again. Then Pete came along.
    Cancelling this rivalry would be tragic, not only for our program, but for college football as a whole, in my opinion. I am sure you wrote those words out of frustration, and I get it.

OC2SC and gubo&palanka like this.
  9. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Well said.

Peete2Affholter and gubo&palanka like this.
  10. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Oct 8, 2019
    I wanted to cancel the series back in 2016 after we let them get away with Tillery stomping on Zach Banner's head when he was down and injured after a play. They did nothing on their end - prolly pinned a medal on his chest and sent him downtown for a blowjob. Banner tried to make light of it afterward and diffuse it by calling it a "mistake." THE HELL IT WAS. It was the second such incident and the asshole was never disciplined by the Dome.

I wouldn't say I am butt hurt [we won 45-27] [finished 10-3 with RB win and #3 ranking - pinnacle of Gomer's career] , but I would say ND [4-8] acted like total trash and we never did anything about it other than accept a half baked "apology" on social media. F ND,.... and their shitty leprechaun.

11. dbergusc

dbergusc Junior Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Only good thing about the streak was ending it on Lou's final game at ND against us.

Similarly with Parseghian, Charlie Weiss, Dan Devine, & Ty Willingham at ND. It isn't good to play us at end of your tenure. I think Davie and Faust are only ones recently that beat us in their last season.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Oct 8, 2019
    Some great comments full of honest feelings and a glimpse into the psyche of Trojan fans.

Merlin4SC and AZUSCfan like this.
  13. Tunaslam

Tunaslam Junior Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Yep, Fight on and beat the Irish, nothing feels better than beating the Irish!

14. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Oct 8, 2019
    I'm sorry, I work around too many vocal UCLA wonks....... for me, if SC wins only one game, I want it to be UCLA. That 5-7 record was horrible enough, but losing to that 2-8 team should have gotten Helton fired.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. ClovisTroy

ClovisTroy Junior Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Congrats and (somehow find a way to...) enjoy the experience. Fight on!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. ClovisTroy

ClovisTroy Junior Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Brilliant.

I laughed at "the lunatic in the leprechaun suit with the bad facial hair, the cheerleaders with the bad facial hair" crack. Because, as far as winning this Saturday is concerned, the only sure thing is if the TV guys decide to juxtapose the Song Girls with the Irish cheerleaders.

And I agree about the rivalry thing (to the frustration of my UCLA grad brother). ND is the game. Watching the epic '74 comeback set my 10 year old heart in cardinal and gold concrete forever.

Beat the Irish!

17. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Oct 8, 2019
    me too, right down to the fact that I was 10 also.

ClovisTroy likes this.
  18. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019

gubo&palanka likes this.
  19. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    great talent on both sides of the ball...referees shipped in from south bend that weekend!!!

gubo&palanka and Arhedge like this.
  20. TrojanHoss

TrojanHoss Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    I (sports) hate those Irish Mammyjammers. That is all.