Musings from Arledge: The right covid question, and the Arkansas ambush

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jul 6, 2020.

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    20+ Clemson players yet school says none sick.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    I look forward to your open honest and entertaining articles. By the way, there has to be a D.N.A. connection between Dr Jacobson and Little Napoleon Fauci.

4. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Remembering those Arkansas games makes me smile but also sad at the same time. My how times have changed.

I brought an Irish friend to the coli for that first game. His first football game ever.
    When we scored something like 4 TD's on our first 8 offensive plays...i had to keep telling him "this is not normal"

5. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Great article as always. Not too long after the Arkansas back to back thumpings, i was at a dinner with a father of one of my daughter's USC sorority sisters from Oklahoma. Great guy but he started preaching about how USC was only "good" because of the weak conference. When he said "who have we really beat" I could pull out Arkansas (which was his alma mater). I'm still wondering what this guy was thinking.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  6. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) -- If this is what a rebuilding year
    looks like at Southern California, the rest of the country could be
    in big trouble.

John David Booty threw three touchdown passes in the second
    half, and the sixth-ranked Trojans rolled to a 50-14 win over
    Arkansas on Saturday night in their first game since Reggie Bush
    and Matt Leinart moved on to the NFL.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Debut's of Allen Bradford and CJ Gable. Also, I believe that the linebacker crew of Rey, Cushing, etc was in its second year and ready to take shape. That was a bad ass group (throw in Clay too, and Kaluka sp?)

7. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    He was delusional

8. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Chris, as always great stuff!! However I disagree on one point - the virus does not discriminate when it comes to who it infects. You are right that it is more likely to cause serious illness and death in the elderly, those with chronic illnesses, and in African Americans, Hispanics, and Native Americans, but it infects anyone. There lies the problem. If it were just college football players, no problem. But there are coaches, trainers, and others who may be in the categories of greater risk who will be part of playing college football at this time. I'm sure nobody on this board would be sad if Clay Helton announced that he was taking the year off and turning the team over to one of his assistant coaches, but the reality is that beyond the dreams of young men there are vulnerable people who are part of the equation. Can that be addressed? Probably, but that should be part of the discussion. Do I agree with the numbers? I listen to Fauci and Birx, not computer science profs. Thanks for bringing the questions into focus, hope my thoughts add to the discussion.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Well written, well reasoned. Thanks. The powers who will make this decision, however, will not be dictated by reason--they will be more dictated by image, perception, and politics. Just the possibility, as remote as it is, of a player, coach, or trainer dying is enough to postpone or cancel. No one wants to be associated with that outcome, especially college administrators or the NCAA. If ever there was a legion of "better safe than sorry" guys, it's them.

10. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    You are 100% correct. Viruses don't discriminate. That would suggest conscious thought, which a virus doesn't have. A virus is closer to being an automaton* than it being alive, which it is not.

*Automaton - a machine that performs a function according to a predetermined set of coded instructions, especially one capable of a range of programmed responses to different circumstances.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  11. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    I just wonder where all the folks are that were lecturing us all on how covid worked from your previous threads? Educating me that covid was strictly a "New York" problem, relegated to nursing homes. Pontificating on how useless masks were, and how it was their god-given (patriotic) right to not wear one. The cheerleaders that were suggesting we all just hurry up and get it and be done with it.

Where are those that were championing Texas'/Florida's approach of "Just F*ck It!, it ain't our problem"? How about those that said the hospitals inundation thing was a hoax and silly? "It's just the flu, BFD!" Newsome was just trying to execute a powergrab, and this was all a nothingburger...and all that jazz?

Do we get a return visit from those folks that seemed to have it all figured out? Can we agree we don't have it all figured out and it ain't as easy as saying "fuck it" from the comfort of your couch? Can we at least start there, then work our way into what's possible...at least for the next week (until the next shoe inevitably drops)?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  12. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Folt killed my SC season & I took Ram offer to opt out this fall.

13. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 6, 2020
    I listened to the 2006 Arkansas game on the radio. It was our first game after Fourth-and-Two in the 2006 Rose Bowl--arguably the start of our decline.

14. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    I was at the 2005 Arkansas game, with my then 2-year old son, wife, and my wife's friend with her own toddlers in tow. Great atmosphere when the Coli was totally full.

Happened to be sitting near a group of Arkansas fans who were nothing but gracious and friendly (with the thrashing on the field their team was getting, it seemed unlikely they'd be anything but). A loudmouthed Trojan fan started heckling some of them until finally another fellow Trojan got up and put the loudmouth in his place.

Still remember the sound of 90,000 people doing a collective *GASP!* when Reggie broke out of the backfield and into the clear, and then raced some 70 yards to the end zone.

My oh my those mid 2000's teams were fun to watch...

15. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Great article Chris. Jacobson is just another fool with a computer model. If he is absolutely positive playing football this year will cause deaths, he should agree to commit suicide if he is wrong. And yes, the disease does discriminate, which is painfully obvious to everyone but him.
    FWIW- in California , ZERO people under 19 have died from COVID.

16. Ojaitrojan

Ojaitrojan Points Member

Jul 6, 2020
    As long as the death slope looks like this we need to ignore case numbers and start to get on with things. Living in the "hot spot" of Houston I'm putting my money where my mouth is. Going to work every day. 43 years old, 20 lbs over weight, and type-2 diabetes. If others want to make different choices, so be it, but we should all be able to make that choice. Same should apply to college football players. Screenshot_20200706-211303_Chrome.jpg