Musings from Arledge: Now we know

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Ambrosia Harwood

Ambrosia Harwood Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I will still read the column, I just won't support the program until a change is made.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  2. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    For those of us that will attend any USC athletic event moving forward, the USC fan base should boo the living sh*t out of that @ss-clown Bohn wherever he shows his face. Folt and Helton should receive the same reception. The athletes are smart enough to know whom the anger and disappointment is being directed to.

OkieTrojanFan and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Dec 5, 2019
    CA
    fine obituary.. if this is your last column it was a memorable one
    Recruiting class this year and next sealed the coffin on SC football
    BTW I think you gave you know who too much credit calling that person a second rate coach
    To quote Ed Murrow
    Good night and good luck
    You will be missed

gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. LucGomez40

LucGomez40 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Ar. You give voice to ALL of our frustration. In so doing, it takes the slightest edge off of this KICK IN THE NUTS!!!!
    Your Musings don’t simply inform, they entertain and help heal. Dont stop writing.
    if that means being the old man yelling GET OFF MY LAWN, then that would still be awesome. Just imagine Helton and Folt and Bohn are the kids on the lawn.
    By the way, how fuckin tone deaf of Folt to use a phrase from Haden, that we will win THE Right Way! That’s i sulting to the core!

OkieTrojanFan, gubo&palanka and OC2SC like this.
  5. Garfield28

Garfield28 Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Great write up.

In ESPN's story Bohn mentioned that there was no unanimous consences to replace Helton. Then Folt says we have to win the right way and support community. Here is what I am hearing from these quotes. We spent 11 days discussing and we talked to Meyer, but some BOT or Deans or who ever were not fine with Meyer's baggage. Then they looked else where and didnt see a need to pay millions in buy out. They assumed that fans will come back with winning.

From the business standpoint we as fans should punish the administration. Boycotting attendance at the bowl game, stopping donations, not attending Alabama game (why would anyone go now is beyond me), Ohio State game experience was enough for me), and home games next year. Then may be they will start bleeding like they havent experienced and will invest in Football.

For now I am depressed about the situation. The only thing that will make me happier is that there is a much more entertaining team playing 100 years away at Banc of California. Will enjoy my LAFC season tickets and wait for changes at USC. With each year the expectation for those changes will shrink.

So sad

6. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Swann must know as he's the one who extended Helton's contract.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    As a passionate fan( not an alumnus) since 1968, I am as sickened and baffled as anyone by this bizarre decision to retain Helton.
    But the one thing that saddens me the most is that we are forgetting about who we root for. It is not any of the coaches or the AD, but it is the 85 players who chose to play for USC over any of the other 129 schools.
    This is why I root with such emotion for USC, and not the Rams or any other pro team.
    I want to see players who chose the team I root for to succeed primarily for that reason, that they did actually choose to play for my team, when most could have gone anywhere.
    I have no passion for the Rams, although I root for them casually, because 52 of the 55 players CHOSE NOT TO BE TROJANS.
    I root for each player individually, and all of them collectively because they chose to be here, and I can't lose my passion for them because their head coach is an ass and their AD is an even bigger ass.
    I will therefore continue to watch every game and root for them to win every game Lets not forget it is the PLAYERS who we root for, not the BOTs or the coaches.
    Our expectations will understandably be quite low, but I will still root for that 2 star recruit to reach their ceiling of success, despite the incompetence and/or apathy of the administration

TeeUSC and LucGomez40 like this.
  8. slystone72

slystone72 Active Member

Dec 5, 2019

9. slystone72

slystone72 Active Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I live in portland, oregon and the ducks fans are nothing more than spoiled fascists. FIGHT ON!!!!!!

10. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    What the hell is all this drivel, Arledge/Arhedge? Snap out of it! Here, allow me to get you back on the path to normalcy....Are you ready? Okay, here goes...a hard cold splash of water on your sad sack driveling mug...

YOU SUCK ARLEDGE!!!

Now, get yo' sad sack ass back out there and write something! : ) : ) ; )

11. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Who knows? We know he just kept him on for another year. We know that, and that’s about as doom and gloom as it gets.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 6, 2019
    Another year? ..... not necessarily. if halfway through the 2020 season the Trojans are 3-3 , there will be an evaluation
    of team and coaching staff. Poor performance could trigger some changes in personnel. AD Bohn is on record as being committed to championship level performances in all sports. He will be feeling the pressure to succeed.

13. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Read on another site that the reason Helton was kept was Folt gave him a budget but couldn’t keep under it.
    The cost of removing Helton and getting a coach like Meyer was way over the budget.
    But to stop the bleeding hope Graham Harrell is kept
    Texas has offered 2.1m over 3. USC has to offer 2.6m over 3 to try to keep him
    He was the reason for a small turnaround.
    To loose him would be curtains

14. bremillard

bremillard Junior Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Now, it seems, the Cowboys are courting Meyer and the he won't likely be around after next year's further implosion. That is the absolute icing on the FUCK USC FOOTBALL cake for me. It takes money and ultimate will to make it to the top of the FBS and USC has made the decision that neither is available in South L.A. Heart breaking doesn't adequate convey my present feelings. After 50+ years of living and dying with Trojan football every fall Saturday I am now done.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 6, 2019

16. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 6, 2019
    Yes, but I think you're giving him too much credit as an AD or competent businessman.

Ultimale likes this.
  17. Ccoralles

Ccoralles Junior Member

Dec 6, 2019
    So there are a ton of replies on here and I might be passing along old news, but I was just informed by someone I trust, that USC offered Urban Meyer and Stoops the job. They both wanted money and full control of the program. Full control was disputed, but a compromise came into play, and the money got figured out. Then the Feds hit USC with more bribery charges like the next day and are looking for even more. Folt put the squash on everything at that point and said “No changes” at this time, as they have to deal with these new charges.

I’m not selling this as 100 truth, but passing along what I was told. It does sound reasonable with the timelines involved...

18. gkierkegaard

gkierkegaard Junior Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Yes, and the vid gives little confidence for how Bohn might manage the next hiring when that time comes. He seemed so, so fake! Maybe that's because his hands were tied and he was indeed faking it. Who knows. Either way, not a good showing.

19. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Thanks for that because we live in a social media conspiracy reality and this one you were told is the tenth one I have read in some like form in the last few days.

Ccoralles likes this.
  20. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 6, 2019
    "Clay Helton is just a second-rate football coach who doesn’t have the intellect..."

I wanted Helton replaced because I think he's hit his ceiling and can't recruit to the BCS level, but come on -- the ad hominem attacks have NOTHING to do with the issue of Helton as an HC and they only detract from the point of this article.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019