Musings from Arledge: Now we know

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Arledge,

I'm just gonna say that your articles are a pleasure to read, so please continue. And i get that you don't want to re-write the same bit on CH week to week, so here are my suggestions:
    • Alter Ego 1 - The is an occasional article you write in which you transform yourself into a CCH insider and share what's it like to game plan with Clay, including planning the weeks practices. Through this pretend alter ego, you are totally bought in, a sunshine pumping sycophant assistant coach who comically exposes the program from the inside out.
    • Alter Ego 2 - similar to the above, but you're actually a sold-out assistant who loves all that So California has to offer, is getting the best pay check you have ever received for doing very little, and surfing on off days (and calling in sick when the surf is up). It's a good gig, and even if you are sacrificing career advancement elsewhere, you aren't motivated to leave. In the article, you report on the coaching atrocities each week (across the board. Lot of material there) while giving evidence of your lack of coaching commitment (hey Clay, surf's up ya know, might be late for practice. Just have the LB's do some yoga or something until I get there dude).
    • Continue Musing as is - Obviously this is the tricky one as the goal is to avoid repeating oneself. My suggestion is to save this column for the regular season (more or less) and continue writing about the games w/o referring to he who should not be named.
    As an aside, at what point do USC fans put paper bags over their head? (rhetorical)

2. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    More mediocrity = more games on the Pac 12 Network = more free Saturdays. Silver lining?

3. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I have not heard one compelling argument in favor of retaining Helton. I have not heard one Helton supporter give an answer to the current state of recruiting and the attendance at home games, or for that matter road games. Arledge, no one would blame you if you quit writing the column, your input in any form on this site is a positive. Do what is in your heart and what you see fit.

We are all suffering and that is something that outsiders just can't understand, all they see is the Rose Bowl win a few years ago and an 8-4 record this year with a second string QB. they don't see the talent advantage on the field every week, they don't see the second half collapses, they don't see the inept special teams, they don't see all of the best talent in SoCal leaving to other schools, they just look at the record and see the scoreboard on Sunday. No one watches Pac 12 games, the conference has deteriorated and, in most of the nation's eyes, is the worst power 5 conference. I don't know if USC football will ever be USC football again, but I know one thing, even though I live in Eugene, I will never be a Ducks fan. Fight On!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  4. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 5, 2019
    And I have never heard anybody talk about another program that would hire Helton as its head coach. Who is it? Where is it?

travyav likes this.
  5. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Exactly, which is why Swann extending him was the dumbest move of all time in college sports. Who does that? No one wanted Helton and Swann treated him like he was going to be getting hundreds of phone calls for open NFL jobs. Swann's decision had a real impact on this whether we like it or not. I know the buyout wasn't confirmed, but if it was $20 mil, that is a tough pill to swallow for any AD.

6. 1969Trojan

1969Trojan Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    The article by Chris, as usual, comes from the heart and sums up what the SC alumni and fans feel about the sorry affair of the USC football program. As KeenObserver said, it is bittersweet. The major problem is not what is to happen next year but recruiting two and three stars vs. the fours and fives will have its impact in years to come. Even if the current coach is terminated next year the damage will last for years and years regardless of the quality of the incoming coaching staff. In this newly created era, SC will be competing with Colorado, Oregon State, and Arizona for the available recruits. I am amazed how fast a storied college football powerhouse collapsed. The football schedule for the next year is harsh. The program personnel and its fans have to wait for many more embarrassments to come starting with the September 5th humiliation.

7. Gr8ythunter

Gr8ythunter Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Don't sugar coat it ............. tell us how you really feel

for me it started in 1963 - and ended 12/4/2019

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    On Wednesday, an hour or so after Helton had been officially retained, Folt reiterated those expectations.

“My expectation is excellence with integrity,” Folt said. “I think about winning the right way, and I think about helping the entire community feel involved. I am very proud of what the university did in restoring the Coliseum for the city of Los Angeles. I think things like that all go together with building the program and having people be proud and excited about it.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2019-12-04/usc-president-backs-mike-bohn-decision-clay-helton

Ruh roh. Where have we heard that before?

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  9. 13Perspective

13Perspective Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    This week provided an answer to the question “what would make me look back fondly to the sanction years?...”.

10. JayBird23

JayBird23 Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    We can't stop. We have to keep on writing the truth. We need you, Arledge, to continue pounding those at our school who betrayed us. If the pressure we put on these idiots didn't work up to now we need to work 10 times harder. Bohn and Folt and all the others would love for us to sit back and give Helton time. NO F-ING WAY! We have seen all we need to see. We have a big weekend. Let's see what shakes out and let's keep hammering everyone for throwing us under the bus.

Fight Back! Fight On!

11. Ambrosia Harwood

Ambrosia Harwood Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I advised my Trojan Athletic Fund rep today that I would not be renewing my donation and would not be buying tickets. I can't support Mr. Magoo for another year. He may lose Graham Harrell as well to UNLV or UT and he was the bright spot of last season. So sad after so many years of supporting USC football. I hope the administration wakes up and realizes what they have done. Maybe after the massacre by Alabama next year.

OkieTrojanFan and gubo&palanka like this.
  12. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Arledge....please continue with what you love to do......or they win. I

Ambrosia Harwood likes this.
  13. twincitytrojan

twincitytrojan Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Arledge article does read like a eulogy. Wow. Always able to capture the fans sentiments perfectly. Been trying to justify it all. Control. It must be, it has to he, or else WTF were they thinking? Folt and Bohn want someone they can control, zero push back, challenge, or they have to worry about. A puppet, a pawn, a robot who speaks about "integrity, integrity, integrity" Arledge might quit, as he feels continued bitterness over this isnt worth it. I tend to agree. It's the complete opposite of being fair weather, been there thru all the drama, but when the leaders could care less, not committed, or delusional, what is one to do?

14. slystone72

slystone72 Active Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Someone please wake me up from this nightmare. What is so hard about firing Helton. He can't coach a high level football program like USC. Former USC greats avoid this once great program because of the way it's being run. I know now he's a nice guy and a great salesman to boot but we need to go in a different direction. I can't take this anymore. PLEASE OH GREAT FOOTBALL GODS SEND A FLOOD TO WASH AWAY THIS CATASTROPHE!!!! I WILL PLEDGE MY ALLEGIANCE TO THEE!!!! HELP. HELP. HELP!!!!!!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 5, 2019
    AD Mike cannot be faulted for any lack of commitment to USC football. He was the last one to have the fire in the belly.

16. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 5, 2019
    All this doom and gloom may be premature. Who knows how long AD Bohn will tolerate an under-achieving foottball HC on the payroll. An embarrassing loss in the upcoming bowl game might grease the skids. An 0 - 3 start in 2020 might trigger the HH pink slip writer. No one knows what the future holds for Mr. Helton or for USC football. It could happen swiftly .

17. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Also reminded me of the delusional Iraqi information minister during the Gulf War - "we are winning!, the United States is running like cowards!" What a Bohn-headed moron! Un-freaking real that Bohn just committed career suicide on the Pac-12 Network. His responses were disingenuous and his enthusiasm was clearly forced. I would call him a used car salesman but I would be insulting those that sell used cars...

gubo&palanka likes this.