Musings from Arledge: Now we know

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 5, 2019.

1. VegasPlayer

VegasPlayer Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019

Rodgarnay51 and USCSAE like this.
  2. Rod

Rod Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    By retaining Helton, both Folt and Bohn have totally underestimated the importance of Trojan Football to the alumni, fans, friends, community, and especially the university's unique Trojan Family culture. Because of their lack of foresight, leadership, and common sense, they are perhaps the most polarizing figures in USC history after only a few weeks/months on the job. The cost to university goodwill among it's most ardent supporters will be financially devastating. Their egos and professional reputations will also suffer very publically next September, when Alabama dismantles the Trojans before a national audience for the second time in just four years. Stated more directly, after five recruiting classes Helton's Trojans haven't improved since Alabama dropped 50+ points on them in 2016.

3. Rob384

Rob384 Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Personally, I love your writing so please don't stop. Maybe you can start writing about some of the classic games from yester-year? Give your own play by play as you remember. I think you include enough cool references in your writing that I very much enjoy your columns.

But If you decide not to continue on, I will understand. I don't want to hear another Clay Helton interview myself. He clearly has fooled those above him.

4. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    He’s busy at the moment....

CP619 likes this.
  5. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    "We will all have to decide individually how to respond to USC’s decision to pull the plug on its football legacy. As for me, I have to spend some time thinking about how I can continue to write this column without making a choice between (1) scouring the wreckage of USC football for alleged silver linings that I don’t really believe or (2) being the angry, get-off-my-lawn guy every single week. And I don’t know if I can do it. For those of you who don’t completely jump ship, I’ll see you next time."

Find a way to please yourself on subject matter. You don't have to be or do (1) or (2). Just keep up the erudite laser guided paragraphs on something else. Who knows, you may get over all this before spring practice (Although it might be a good idea to close your eyes through the recruiting season)
    Cheers

TroyWill likes this.
  6. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I don't think it's so much that as it is cutting corners and very poor judgement. The bowl game will be interesting to say the least.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    So You are saying RIP SC football 1919-2019 (or should it be 2009?) I picked 1919 as the start date as that is when we got our first good HC in Elmer (gloomy Gus) Henderson who put SC football on the map.

We had a near death experience in 1990s too but a miracle happened and St Pete showed up. But we still had an AD who was trying to make football team great and fired an inept coach and got lucky. Now we are not even trying our luck and settling for mediocrity.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. 1stNGoalSC

1stNGoalSC Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Very well said, Chris. I always look forward to your column, so I hope you will continue writing. I wish the admin could read this because it expresses exactly how I feel.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. User1234

User1234 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I came back momentarily to read your article after puking my guts up during Mike Bohner's lying bullshit sesh with the Pac-12 video.

That video infuriated me all the more because the man is an absolute insult to our intelligence to try and feed his manure to us now.

Another good one Arledge. You are indeed a better man than I if you can figure out how to tough it out with these assholes. As for me, I was hoping against hope that Folt would not turn out to be a phony pasty duplicitous bitch, and that Bohn would do the right thing for the program and the kids. But alas, I was horribly wrong and I NEVER want to hear from either of them again. They told us to go pound sand and it's time to return the favor.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  10. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    If a failed choice to kickoff in the last game of any real consequence, suffered to a embarrassing blowout loss, which then compounded by scores of other desultory “leadership” decisions does not get such incompetence fired, nothing will.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  11. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Chris thank you for petting into words exactly what the fans feel
    You have a gift for words and that is appreciated
    Wish there was a home run hire instead of more of the same
    I guess all we fans will suffer together

12. scottsdaletrojan

scottsdaletrojan Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Spot on! I can't disagree with anything said in this article.

If there ever was one sentence that succinctly encapsulates Clay-Doh as a football coach, it's this one:

"Clay Helton is just a second-rate football coach who doesn’t have the intellect or preparation to succeed in this job, and he therefore substitutes unfounded optimism, lame excuses, and delusional happy talk for his missing qualities."

I've had a custom license plate here in AZ for almost 20 years. After yesterday's kick to the nut I feel like I need to change it from "FIGHTON" to "BOHN'D". It's definitely a dark day in Troy, to say the least.

OkieTrojanFan and gubo&palanka like this.
  13. ATR32

ATR32 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Boy, talk about the shitter being full.. it's in desperate need of being cleaned out.

DJ4SC and CP619 like this.
  14. Yale

Yale Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    As Chester A Riley used to say 'what a revoltin' development this is' Back stabbing and disgust are also relevant terms...I won't be reading any article that start with hellton this or that or have a picture...th term asshole fits all these involved...that is as nice a term I can use or what I tk of all of them and their supporters.

15. Ultimale

Ultimale Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Wow, Bohn is a complete dumb ass; who knows NOTHING about what Top Recruits want from a program.

1. They want to be on TV, on a team winning National Championships.
    2. They want the best coaches to develop them to make it to the NFL.
    3. They want to be surrounded with other winners, to compete WITH the best
    4. They don't want to be embarrassed, lose games, be the joke of the NCAA

A big reason the recruiting is in the shitter, is top recruits aren't stupid. He won his games with someone else's recruiting class, and amazing play from Sam Darnold and others. Clay can't recruit for shit. Flip that, and look at Coach O, HE can recruit. Pete can recruit. Saban can recruit, Meyer can recruit.

Clay has shown he is unable, or unwilling to make adjustments; and squandering amazing talent which fell in his lap. He UNDERDEVELOPED it. How many First round draft picks under Clay Helton that He developed?

The BEST Coach in the country is available, Meyer; and Bohn doesn't make it happen. Instead he babbles a bunch of absolute bullshit about a packed Coliseum??? Is he retarded or lying? It has to be one or the other? The outpouring is 50-1 negative from season ticket holders, boosters and alums who are not going to attend games. Do the math Einstein. You just made the Coliseum a graveyard. Look for 20-30% attendance, for those who couldn't sell their tickets because no one wants to watch Clay get USC embarrassed.

OkieTrojanFan and gubo&palanka like this.
  16. DavidLima

DavidLima Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    That video is so insulting and delusional. It reminds me of a lying politician or the Ambassador from Iran explaining why they had every right to blow us that school bus.

Trojan12, Rodgarnay51 and Ultimale like this.
  17. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I didnt understand his comment about a packed Coliseum..... Clay hasn't sold it out once, I think.

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.