Musings from Arledge: Kicking Deep, Papering Over Problems, and Time to Act

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Nov 4, 2019.

2. trojanworld

trojanworld Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Brutally honest written article. Loved reading it, and hoping the administration reads this .

Again, fantastic read and thank you

3. Kaptain Karl

Kaptain Karl Points Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Every time I log onto this site I get so excited hoping to see a ‘Helton fired’ sticky thread. Thank you to Oregon for helping that be sooner rather than later.

4. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    And this raises one of the fundamental problems with Clay’s tenure: the inability to see and deal with problems before they lead to disaster.

Toa.

This tendency to paper over and ignore problems has plagued USC since Helton arrived.

Toa.

These things fester for years at USC where a top coach would identify the problem and deal with it in short order.

Toa.

5. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Great write-up as always. I love USC and USC football. I knew what was coming Saturday night and choose to go to a movie instead. Sad.
    BTW watching the UW/Utah game there were two hits late in the game (one to stop a 2 point conversion and one on a runner at the goal-line just as he crossed) that were so abrupt and violent that it reminded me that it has been a long time since I saw a USC defender light somebody up that way. Soft.

6. USCHusbandUCLAWife

USCHusbandUCLAWife Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Best article I've ever read about USC football. Perfect analysis.

I'm concerned that the trustees will get involved in the decision on the next head coach, e.g., Rick Caruso telling Mike Bohn: "Football really is important to us. We'll let you spend big on a new head coach, anything up to $2.5 million a year."

7. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Spot on about the kick. When they kicked deep and Oregon ran it back, I said this is a fundamental, brand new junior high school coach mistake that no other coach in America would do - except ours. I am so glad you focused on that one play, because it so clearly defines the Helton era. It absolutely cut the heart out of this team and yes they quit, but it wasn't their fault. They have no direction.

8. BREWcorp

BREWcorp Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019

I totally agree and thought the same thing and that is no unfair to Toa. He was a great Trojan that played everywhere those lost coaches asked him to but kept him at center (instead of guard) where he just could not perform and consistently hurt his team...THAT move will always define CCH's tenure for me.

9. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Once I saw the writing on the wall, after giving Helton three full years before making up my mind about his coaching ability, I posted the obvious complaints that every one on this board clearly saw coming from this coaching staff.

Then came the idiotic extension of the coaches contract followed by the all new star spangled air raid fiasco side show. I told my wife, when they announced there new offensive ideology, that it was over for this team and I was sorely saddened at the sacrifice of so much talent to the alter of incompetence. I posted no further, until now.

My sincerest thanks to Arledge for concisely summing up what is now a USC football disaster that administrators, athletic directors, board of trustees and others ignorantly refused to acknowledge. Hopefully, the powers to be are waking up and see the potential obvious loss of revenue that is staring them in the face if this team's coaching staff remains the same.

The majority of the consistent support by USC fans and alumni is in that huge swatch of people that reside just below the very rich donors but also contribute heavily, as a group, to U.S.C.'s revenue base. They are the ones buying loads of USC gear, purchasing season tickets, traveling to away games etc.

I will remain loyal to my loved Trojan Football Team through the bad as well as good years, but I will not buy season tickets, or contribute to the university while it ignores the easily removed sports wart on its nose.

10. BigGuard

BigGuard Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    One of your best ones yet!

"Mario Cristobal has done at Oregon what Clay Helton promised to do — and spectacularly failed to do — at USC: build a football team around a rugged offensive line and a physical running game. "

This right here is why I don't think the whole "Clay is a good man and leader" narrative is true. He's a fake. He's a snake-oil salesman who got the job selling people on what they wanted to hear. He never took one step to actually make it happen. Can a person be a liar and a fraud and still be a good example and leader of young men?

Fight On!

11. OC2SC

OC2SC Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Chris, you have such a gift for succinctly and eloquently summarizing everything that is wrong with Helton along with the compelling call to action. Thanks for another great article.

gubo&palanka and Rhyno like this.
  12. Lyn the Duck

Lyn the Duck Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Great article. But the last five coaches here have been abject failures. Why would a great coach, which is what USC is demanding, leave his situation to come to a place where most eventually leave in shame and disgrace?

13. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    This post is absolutely true. Toa was cheated by Helton as so many other players. He was a great player with proper coaching and played at his best position (Guard) would have had a real shot at being top draft pick. Helton and Clancy have mismanaged the development and careers of these young players to the point that it is almost criminal.

KiwiSCfan, gubo&palanka and OC2SC like this.
  14. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Because the potential upside is enormous. You can’t do at Oregon what you can do at USC.

P.S. Four of five were failures. It’s hard to call Carroll a failure.

15. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    CPC was not an abject failure. Only a Duck would claim that. Many of your posts don't fell like trolling but this one does. Question who has more show cause penalties Chip Kelly or Pete Carroll?

16. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Only nit to pick with the article is that UO's run game doesn't appear to be a physical run game but a more well rounded run game including misdirection and motion. I wish that nuance were what we had to complain about rather than the failure that is Helton's coaching career.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    User1234, gubo&palanka and Troy70 like this.
  17. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    As for your article Chris, it is sad and embarrassing how you, other writers, and even football fans can recognize the simple details of the game and Helton coaches on auto pilot and just sends out the kicking team to do the same thing as they always do. You would also think Baxter who is supposedly a ST's expert would have suggested to or asked Helton if he wanted to squib kick. Poor coaching all around.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  18. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Your presence is no longer required here. You are just here to troll. You offer nothing from a rival fan perspective. Guys like you abuse Erik's hands off policy. A SC fan on a duck site pulling this crap would have long been jettisoned by the mods

19. dp4life

dp4life Points Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Why are you commenting here? How about a confident coach who appreciates the storied history of this program - and knows that he can dominate this crap conference - Oregon included. You keep relishing in the dysfunction at SC over the last 10+ years. A little hint - a 15 year championship drought is microscopic compared to the eternal clueless hope of a Duck championship. And, hate to break it to you, but this Duck team has zero chance either. Just be honest for once - Urban Meyer is your worst nightmare.