Musings from Arledge: JT Daniels, new USC staffers, and Matt Boermeester ruling

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, May 30, 2020.

1. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

May 30, 2020
    Admittedly, I'm not in household, but I couldn't see myself guiding my sons in such a deliberate manner. I've seen too many of these situations blow up. We are not that far removed from Marv and Todd.

LDIABootney and CrownoftheValley like this.
  2. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

May 30, 2020
    They must pay him a lot of cash to talk instead of coaching them up.

3. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

May 30, 2020
    Clay Helton doesn't talk all that much.

4. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

May 30, 2020
    Talking about Jordan Palmer

5. Peete2Affholter

May 30, 2020
    Whoosh

6. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

May 30, 2020
    I've always wondered about this. Slovis clearly had a better year as a freshman than Daniels did as a freshman. To me Slovis is clearly the better QB. But then, if that is true, how did JT beat him out to start the 2019 season?

KeenObserver likes this.
  7. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

May 30, 2020
    Their freshman seasons are not a good comparison on their own. Completely different situations and offensive schemes. Light years difference.

gubo&palanka and Boselli like this.
  8. Peete2Affholter

May 30, 2020
    A year of more experience at the college level? More opportunities to play with the offensive starters? A level of familiarity with the coaches?

It's quite rare when a true frosh can earn the starting spot anywhere. Yes, I know Daniels himself won it in 2018, but he wasn't trying to unseat an incumbent QB1, unlike Slovis, who was.

It's no mystery why Daniels won the starting job for 2019. And, had he not gotten injured and proceeded to have a decent year - he'd still be the incumbent for 2020 and all the other QBs on the roster would be behind him, even Slovis now as a sophomore.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. KeenObserver

May 30, 2020
    Slovis was the big surprise in camp and a lot of people were talking him up but the big debate was Sears vs Daniels. It was shocking to most that Sears was named number 4. Basically they told him to take a hike. Slovis at #2 was pretty much a holy crap but reading this in retrospect, Harrell had a long term plan. There was never 100% confidence in JT. However there was a handshake commitment to play him. Regardless, he wasn't going to stay at #2 and there is no way we could bench the better QB.

10. Alvaro Carrillo

Alvaro Carrillo Points Member

May 30, 2020
    Not all that glitters is gold. Daniels is taking a huge gamble. If his waiver is not approved, he is basically going 2 years without playing. That is devastating for any football player. If he really wants to play he should have stayed. Even if the doesn't start, he is pretty much guaranteed playing time. Then if he wants to leave in 2021 he will be a grad transfer. Seems to me that Daniels wants no part of taking a beating behind this o-line, and is willing to sacrifice an extra year on the sideline.
    Harrell's ability to recruit is leaving a lot to be desired. He missed out on Young and Uiagalelei. We couldn't get Costello as a transfer either. Combine that with Helton botching our backup QB situation. They really need to redeem themselves and get another capable backup.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  11. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    May 31, 2020
    True. Given that as axiomatic there can be no misunderstanding of what followed. Garry said repeatedly that JT was the most accurate short or long passer he had ever seen and I agree. The first half of the Fresno game should be the comparison marker not the previous season.

12. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Now that's news to me. Please enlighten us.

13. KeenObserver

Jun 1, 2020
    It’s not news. It’s history.

14. scksig78

scksig78 Active Member

Jun 1, 2020
    My take on Daniels deciding to leave is that he's making a clear statement of what he thinks of the program. I too believe that if he stays he would get significant playing opportunities even as a #2. I see Slovis getting battered early and often opening the door wide for Daniels. I think Slovis is one or two concussions away from his parents putting an end to his playing career. I think Daniels feels, even with the likelihood of getting significant opportunities, he wouldn't get the coaching and development here to give him the best chance of playing at the next level. Don't forget the words of Brian Kennedy, "The program is dogs*&t." Even with the defensive coaching hires and the recruiting buzz of a bunch of four star "verbals," this is all lipstick on a pig. Also, I think it's premature to write Daniels off after one rocky year as a true freshman in a garbage offense. He believes in himself and is showing it by going to compete at a legit program. We'll see how it all works out for him, but for us, his departure is not great.

PickSicx likes this.
  15. KeenObserver

Jun 1, 2020
    If he was starting, he wasn't leaving period.

TXTrojan_itul1 likes this.
  16. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Bottom Line: There was no scenario where JT is injured for a season, Slovis plays as he did (with the upside he has), and we're able to keep both QB's...it was always going to end this way.

The only play here was to have managed Sears better to keep him around...unless Harrel truly prefers Fink as a starter over Sears (which some think is the case, but I don't see it).

If JT had not been injured, it's likely Slovis would have hung on and remained a backup - but that didn't happen. So even w/ hindsight, this shitty situation was unavoidable.

Max Wittek was not going to play 2nd fiddle to Kessler, Browne wasn't going to stick around and wait for Darnold to get injured. This is how the QB position is supposed to work in normal years...ther better programs recruit elite QB's and only 1 can start, the others usually take off.

But what happens when your chosen QB is fragile, and your OL is suspect? Even worse, JT was coming off a rebuilt knee and hasn't seen the field in a year, so he was no sure bet either?

"Pop quiz, hotshot. There's a bomb on a bus. Once the bus goes 50 miles an hour, the bomb is armed. If it drops below 50, it blows up. What do you do? What do you do?"

Don't get what there is to debate, or whether there were any good options here.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Cyrus likes this.
  17. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Thanks Chris, enjoyed the read, Couple of comments:
    • JT - maybe the injury and a year of rehabbing (and the events that occurred in parallel on the field) has changed JT's priorities? Just speculating of course, but maybe he sees his football career differently now? Maybe he sees the college experience differently, such that he wants to have more than a football experience? I don't know, just agreeing that the decision on a pure football level doesn't add up
    • Really appreciate the breakdown on the Matt Boer. story.

18. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Jun 1, 2020
    That right there is LaVar Ball-ish behavior. It's Jimmy Emu Clausen all over again -- these dumb parents who force their kid to repeat 8th grade, so they come into High School with an advantage.

Whatever you gain in physical maturity, you lose in healthy headspace. Let the kids be kids. These dads that go all Marinovich on their sons just heighten the already difficult job of passing through adolescence, and more often than not, turn them into head cases. That's what was so refreshing about Sam Darnold --- a seeming "nobody" who just wanted to ball. Same with Slovis. Max Browne? That dude was so over-groomed and uptight, you couldn't squeeze a greased bb up his arse.

If JT struggles in Georgia, and I suspect that he will, I hope his parents tell him to tough it out, keep his head down, shave that thing off his face, and leave him the hell alone.

Once again, great thoughts Arledge, particularly about the justice system and the rights of the accused.

19. KeenObserver

Jun 1, 2020
    Thank you. My sentiment precisely

20. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Jun 2, 2020
    As I see it through my “typically wrong” glasses the JT issue is fairly clear. He was injured behind a porous O line, Slovis was injured behind the same porous O line, Slovis is certainly an injury risk behind another potentially porous O line and if Slovis gets another concussion he may be out for the season.

Accordingly, there’s certainly a better than 50/50 chance that someone else will be taking snaps at SC this year. But, the cause of the change will most likely be a porous O line that can’t protect its QB. With aspirations for the NFL who in their right mind would place themselves in harms way with possible aspiration-killing results?
    Smart move by JT regardless of his chances at Georgia. If he can’t start there his aspirations are done. But, he’ll move on in likely better physical condition.
    Not one to suffer fools in my industry, if my starting QB got hurt again behind another porous O line I would fire my O line coach Sunday morning. But, I would also make it clear at the start of the season that his job was dependent on protecting the QB because my job was dependent on winning games and that isn’t happening at the same level with now QB #3.