Musings from Arledge: Good to great, Coaching carousel, and 2019

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 6, 2020.

2. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Chris Farley was entertaining and dare I say artful in his interpretation of dance against Swayze. I think this matchup is more along the line of Ivan Drago rematching the dead body of Apollo Creed. It’s just desecrating a corpse at this point. Who would want to watch it except ghouls and Bama fans—- or is that redundant?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  3. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    You know how it's said that the greatest comedy often comes from the greatest pain?

Yup, this column had a whole lotta comedy.....to cover a battleship load of pain!

BTW, Chris Farley did a great job, he clearly understood dance moves as well as Swayze. Helton understands football coaching about as well as my bulldog understands calculus.

4. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Second, we get to see what “strategic enhancements” Mike Bohn has planned for the football program. Like a master salesman, he’s been letting the suspense build. My guess: black socks and larger, better-insulated water bottles. But send in your predictions.

I see clay and his staff all wearing cardinal colored baseball hats on the sideline with "Musing" written across the front. I'd buy that hat!

Regarding integrity, I believe CCH was caught in a lie when he said he'd bring power football back to USC. Of course his response to this would likely be that he did bring power football back to USC, because, like beauty, it is the eyes of the beholder. And that is the ugly truth.

Yale and Ambrosia Harwood like this.
  5. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 6, 2020
    Now that was the funniest column ever! Bohn putting his hat on a stick ... your mom coaching for 1% of Helton's salary... looking for the silent commits (probably the same place as I-RAK's WMDs)... not knowing exactly what Orgeron was saying.

But I'll come back to the frustration and anger:

"It’s impossible to become great with a leader who doesn’t even recognize what good is. "

6. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 6, 2020
    Strategic enhancements might include a change to the hotel and its breakfast plan for away games. Who knows with this crew.

Oh, I got it. Making sure we know in which end zone to warm up.

OC2SC and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  7. redeye

redeye Points Member

Jan 6, 2020
    “strategic enhancements” Mike Bohn has planned for the football program.
    1. On the opening kick off v. Alabama The Trojans will not have two #7's on the field at the same time.
    2. Home game Empty seat give away's to all of the kids in south central and call it a Sold Out Contest.
    3. An alumni Anger Management Station at the peristyle end of the Coliseum.
    4. Free razor blades as you enter the Coliseum so fans can slit their wrists prior to half-time.
    5. Boot every kick off out of bounds to avoid long run backs by the opponents.
    6. Grape "Lucerne Aid" provided on demand.
    7. A self-imposed mercy rule to quit by halftime if the game is unwinnable.
    8. United Airlines one way ticket to anywhere for Coach Helton.

8. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Thank you Chris. The musings were great and food for thought as usual. The only one that didn't take was the one about Top Gun. No need to elaborate - I'm just dating myself.

Happy New Year and Fight On!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Well, he hasn't gotten off to a very good start.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. 13Perspective

13Perspective Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    ...and there it is! We’ve now hit Necromancy level. Well played!

11. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    A real honest home run with integrity, Chris.

This one was hit so far out of the park that the ball has yet to land.

LucGomez40 likes this.
  12. Coto Trojan 43

Coto Trojan 43 Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Integrity: the door’s open but the ride ain’t free.

Extra credit for the Springsteen reference!

ClovisTroy likes this.
  13. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    #8 could be a Southwest "Wanna Get Away?" for Helton.

14. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 6, 2020
    Meanwhile, I’m excited about a couple of things coming up. First, the Top Gun sequel comes out in a few months and if, like me, you were a 13-year-old boy when the original came out, you already know that Top Gun was the greatest film and maybe the greatest work of art of all time. And now, after more than three decades, they’re bringing back Maverick and Iceman? I can’t describe my joy at this prospect. Yes, it will probably be terrible, and no, I don’t care. I feel the need, the need for speed.
    I think you are full of shit. I had to say that since so much of your post was defeatist (or maybe just cry baby) but the portion I am quoting above was a simply a bitchin allegory. Man, you write so well it is disturbing. Never want you cross examining me.

15. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    I'm pretty sure that one of Helton's strategic enhancements will be a new non-stainable Gatorade repelling shirt, for all the post game Gatorade baths he continues to get from his players after all the huge victories.

And given the roaring success of Ben Griffiths who was supposed to set the world on fire with his massive Aussie Rules punts (but rarely kicked it farther than 38 yards), Clay did a fantastic job recruiting Australian QB's, RB's, S's, CB's, and LB's. What? You say they don't have those positions on an Australian Rules Football team? That explains things. Could someone tell Coach Helton?

KnightsWhoSayNi likes this.