Musings from Arledge: Extreme Makeover, Hello McFly, and Ready for a Street Fight

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 16, 2019.

2. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    LOL at Randolph and Mortimer.

Back To The Future is the movie that best explains this team, for sure. I'll have something to add on to the BTTF theme later this week. Still too cloudy right now.

3. Rob384

Rob384 Points Member

Sep 16, 2019
    The comparisons to my childhood culture (Scooby Doo and Back to the Future) are what makes this one of my favorite reads each week. Its like we share the same brain!!! ha--- well done!

4. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    another great, fun read Chris... thanks
    and SO true.

one nail in... how many more are needed to seal the coffin

OC2SC, DJ4SC, TrojanHoss and 2 others like this.
  5. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    What are the odds that the BYU game was an old fashion trap game? I mean, young QB got all kind of love and attention last week, maybe losing some of his edge? The team feeling like it was all that after thumping the Tree's. "hey, let's cruise over to BYU and kick some butt, huh? Should be easy enough. Utes kicked their butts so of course we can too w/o even trying".

I don't buy it myself. I mean, how could this team get so complacent after just one good game? And trap games are most likely to occur later in the season anyway.

I've posted before that this team is not a finished product by a long shot (what with all the coaching changes), and that it has to show steady improvement week to week. Well, this past week they did not improve, that much is clear. And that's disturbing coming after a nice game vs Furd. No excuse for that. I mean, for goodness sake, grab victories every chance you get! Can't let opportunities slip by like this.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. TrojanHoss

TrojanHoss Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    A hardware store sack of nails, I'm afraid.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  7. dp4life

dp4life Points Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Don't lose focus and think that Clay should get any benefit of the doubt of a "trap game" excuse. He hasn't done anything to earn any cache to warrant any excuses. For me, the only way he could save his "good guy - right adult for the job - helped bridge the gap after a couple of real F-ups" label is to simply resign. Only good coaches with proven track records can ever use the "trap game" excuse.

Rainman44 likes this.
  8. ATR32

ATR32 Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Our overall level of play - and certainly the losses - is infuriating enough. Yet it's the canned responses to reporters' questions and lack of accountability on Clay's part that is so maddening.

I've grown to dislike him. Not just as a coach... but as a person as well. Is he a decent guy? I'm not so sure. He is full of shit, for sure.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  9. Rob384

Rob384 Points Member

Sep 16, 2019
    When people ask me what I think, I used to say, Clay is a nice guy (like Mike Riley), but not a good head coach. But now, I'm with you. Starting late last year, his "canned" responses either made him extremely gullible, or just gave him this "I'm better and smarter than all of you so here are my answers--- read them and weep!" Its like he has something on everyone above him and knows he is untouchable (which I surely hope he isn't).

I think it would be great if all reporters just didn't ask HIM any questions afterwards. Make him sit there and just ask the players questions. I'm sure he would love it, but it would just show him we are all tired of his stock answers and irrelevant answers.

10. August West

August West Points Member

Sep 16, 2019
    What a turd....blames the kids.

First response is the turnovers.

SMH Fade and Cutty used to do that...oh, wait...

11. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I think Arhedge needs our empathy and support as well. To meet the creative quip standard that he has established here, it must be difficult to churn out the material, when the topic, quite frankly, has stopped being funny a while back.

I can’t even look at Heltons fat face let alone hearing it speak. I am so over this.

CA, I applaud your consistency and professionalism, but man it’s tough to even crack a smirk when discussing anything SC these days. Talented contributors notwithstanding

12. trojanworld

trojanworld Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Loved reading the article.

Thank you

ClovisTroy and Yale like this.
  13. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Thank you. But in lieu of empathy and support, just send cash.

14. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Does Helton still have Folt's support, did he mention this Sunday at all?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  15. Yale

Yale Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 16, 2019
    only thing left is to be able to laugh at the joke hellton is and ...well never mind
    thanks for the entertainment

16. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 16, 2019
    "Turns out, we fell for an old trick."

It's easy to trick USC fans because we are so desperate -- not for the CFP -- but merely for relevance. Our emotions are gyrating wildly with every win and loss. After stanfird we wondered if that was light at the end of the tunnel. Turns out it could be the first of two trains, the Mormon Express.

Trojan12 likes this.
  17. Moose4usc

Moose4usc Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Another great musings Arhedge!

But I sure could use the part where you make fun of ucla. Their struggles are the only thing helping me keep my sanity.

Rodgarnay51 and Rob384 like this.
  18. ClovisTroy

ClovisTroy Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    No kidding, that is the question.

Last year when the bruin students were chanting "Keep Clay Helton!" I was convinced SC wouldn't. Well, Coach Helton seems to have cat lives.

If we play with guts in a "street fight" on Friday and still lose, then he probably lives to see another day as our head coach. However, if Utah comes in and Biff Tannen's us, then I say TARMAC. Finally!

19. Bored of Clowns

Bored of Clowns Points Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I've been out of the country sunning myself on Mexican beaches these last two weeks, so I've missed most of the frivolity (hilarity and buffoonery comes to mind). Now I'm reading how many of my contemporaries are questioning "Gentleman Clay's" true self. Been saying it for years now...he's a carnival huckster who happens to be a habitual liar (then again, I'm often scolded for my negativity). He's lied to the fans, the players and the recruits. Examples include: "We're gonna play Trojan football...hard nosed, tough and disciplined"; "The best players will play...I believe in competition"; "We're gonna look at the film and make the necessary corrections". None of this has been/is/will be true. And yet...he makes $Millions. What a great life for him. Now I read where his players talk about how "great" BYU was. Seriously....B-Y-friggin' U?! Did Jim McMahon or Steve Young or even Robbie Bosco suit up? SC football truly has digressed to Mountain West standards. Bring on Boise State!!

Yet, having said all this, for some reason I think they'll play Utah tough...they'll be at home; Utah can't seem to win in LA; and, despite what pollsters like to think, Utah just ain't that good...certainly not 10th in the country. We'll see.

Trojan12, gubo&palanka and Cyrus like this.