Musings from Arledge: Damage done, being elite, and the worst rushing team in the conference

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 19, 2020.

1. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Rich Rod did the same thing to Michigan and they never recovered

bremillard and TrojanHorse like this.
  2. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Helton never covers the spread.

3. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Thanks Chris. That had to be a tough one to write. Sometimes it's tough to read the truth.

In an article full of telling statements, two stood out to me:

"It might be more tolerable if the complete abandonment of physicality, the pillow-fight approach to offense, were at least innovative and exciting. But no. It’s predictable and dull. Graham Harrell was able to install the offense in two days last year because there’s nothing to it. You can fit the whole thing playbook on a napkin."

And "There is no Plan B."

Helton, Harrell and Drevno all must be replaced. It was incredible how Oregon made it look like they knew what was coming on every play. I kept watching Thibodeaux driving SC linemen backwards, and he literally pancaked Trojan linemen several times, mostly McKenzie but others too.

Oregon was not that good. Even with the Thibodeaux-SC oline mismatch, that game was there for the taking if SC would have just not made so many bad mistakes. I kept thinking they would luck out again this time, but Slovis' magic ran out. Before I see any more criticism of Slovis, I hope it's tempered by the fact that he had no running game, receivers running into each other and dropping the ball, no deception whatsoever, 100% predictability, and worst of all no blocking. To those who say Dart will be starting next year, I encourage you to sober up.

4. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Except we literally matched them score for score other than the very first TD. Only a bitter USC fan would see it any other way, because that is what happened.

Oregon won the game with the help of dumb penalties (like Hufanga's), typical uncalled penalties by Pac 12 refs, non-typical dropped balls by the Trojan receivers. and yes, poor offensive line play and poor offensive play calling at times from Harrell. Even with all that, we almost did it - if not for the final interception on what should have been an easily thrown away ball.

It was nothing like Oregon dominance.

BigRex likes this.
  5. Uppershelf21

Uppershelf21 Junior Member

Dec 19, 2020
    I really appreciate this article. It was very well said and written. The problem is the USC Hierarchy could give a shit about football. Bohner and Carrol Burnett are awful leaders. We knew what we were getting with Carrol. Go look up her days at North Carolina....the tail fricken wagged the dog there....she has no spine. As for Bohnhead....WTF has he done since he’s been at SC? Name one credible thing he has done? This guy is so full of shit and speaking of no spine...holy shit. If you have ever been present for one of his speeches at an event you will walk out of the room...he is so full of shit. He talks like his lips don’t match. EVERYTHING he says is a head shaker.....none of it is true. Unfortunately, the suck (that is Gomer) isn’t going anywhere. Here is the reality folks and the sooner you come to grips with it the better off you will be....the President and Athletic Director of USC ARE NOT committed to USC football. Neither one of them had any idea what they were getting themselves into. They both are in so far over their heads is uncomfortable to think about. Carrol has gotten away with destroying the life blood of the University, alumni clubs. How the fuck is that possible? She has gotten on her knees and sucked up to the faculty in support of the METOO movement so Urban won’t be considered for the head coaching job. Urban didn’t beat his wife a staff member did. Did Urban lie about....yep, he sure did and later apologized for a mistake. Well that isn’t good enough for our kiss ass President. If these clowns cared about football Gomer would have been fired a long time ago. Instead, these disgusting wimps continue to deflect and collect game balls from Gomer. Simply said, Clay Helton had no business being a head coach and certainly not the head coach of USC. I for one am sick and tired of the bullshit that is going on at USC. We need to be heard. If Bohn can’t get it done then he needs to step aside and someone with some balls needs to get it done. This is a tired act. SC football has NEVER been soft until now and it makes me sick. Clay Gomer Helton is as soft as a pillow. Look at him!! He’s a lumpy, pacing, dumb ass look on his face failure. He’s robbed the USC bank. Lynn Swann should go directly to jail. If Reggie Bush was not allowed to set foot on campus for 15 years then Swann should be banned for life. Add Haden and Gomer too. Be heard folks, it’s time for changes to be made. We can’t let Gomer, Bohner and Burnett do any more damage.

6. TrojanHorse

Dec 19, 2020
    I don't disagree with most of what you wrote, Chris. The lack of a balanced offensive attack is pretty hard to watch. I think most of us were surprised he was not let go a couple of years ago. Nothing happening again last year told us is that the admin valued stability and was thinking long term....or it may have also told us that it was all about the money.

If either, or both, of those things are true, then what has changed that would lead us to believe they would fire Helton this year after going 5-1?

• Well for one thing Bohn had just arrived and barely had time to assess everything. That is one thing that is different now. He has had time to assess and plan. Maybe time to talk to some folks if you know what I mean.
    • There is one fewer year on the contract. Unfortunately there are still three more left
    • What am I missing? Are there more?

If USC wins the bowl game they will be 6-1 and have had a pretty good season with one close loss to what now has to be considered the "other" Pac 12 brand (as hard as that is to admit). It would require an unusual commitment to improvement to fire a head coach that has ostensibly turned things around and is in the middle of bringing in a top 10 recruiting class. I don't think the admin has the same "passion" as many life long Trojan fans do, so they will not value all the things you point out in the same fashion. That does not mean there is not a long term plan in place though. It is just not as imperative to move quickly for them.

Personally, I don't believe the things you mentioned are permanent in nature. If you could bring in the right coach, this could be turned around pretty quickly -- whether that is this year or two years from now.

But I think most mature, and reasonably up to speed, fans would agree there are very few "sure fire" hires to turn a program around. I don't see them spending a lot of money on the "possibility" of finding improvement by making a change. If they don't want Urban Meyer for integrity reasons, then who gives them the reason to make a change now, instead of waiting another year to see if the momentum we have built this year, turns into something better next year.

7. TrojanHorse

Dec 19, 2020
    Don't forget Brian Kelly was 4-8 in 2016 and the ND Alumni were screaming for his firing. The school supported him in a rebuilding program, he fired both coordinators and four years later, here he is.

Though, I guess you could take a look at today's game and say he never will win a national championship.

8. TrojanMafia

TrojanMafia Points Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Look up beta male in the dictionary. There is a picture of clay Helton...69ing conquest4ever

9. Rigged4fun

Rigged4fun Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Stated earlier and more simply put, until the administration dedicates to the improvement of the football program, SC will continue to be mediocre.

bremillard likes this.
  10. TruGenX

TruGenX Points Member

Dec 19, 2020
    to run from this shotgun offensive set you have to show that the QB is a threat to run on any down. to run from behind a weak O-line your QB has to be a threat to run just to slow down the pass rush. Yes your risking your QB but this isn't ballroom dancing, its a contact sport, the QB is going to get hit but he'll be able possibly avoid or at least dictate the level of contact. Even Clemson with a good running attack and a good o-line will run Lawrence at least 2 or 3 times a game; just look at his TD run today against the Domers.

I don't like the every down shotgun one back formation no matter what you call the offensive scheme. I'm not so sure that its a remedy for having weak oline.
    You can still have an open style passing attack taking the snap from under the center, look at Norm Chow's offense in the early 2000's or Houston with the run and shoot. From under center using misdirection- motion, ball fakes, etc- to slow down the pass rush, maybe catch the defenders out of position. Wouldn't that help an undersized o-line and improve your running attack?

Butcher22 likes this.
  11. JMac

JMac Points Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Your analysis is so accurate, it's really too painful to read for those of us who understand what Trojan football used to be. The minute the program sold out to the Air Raid gimmick, I knew this was coming. Almost all good coaches have a strong sense on one side of the ball or the other. Mr. Helton has neither and his choice of an OC is a reflection of that. And if the AD is cut from the same cloth, there's no likely path to correct this. Sadly, it seems like the powerful football loving alums have lost their influence on the Board, therefore I just don't see much hope for the future of my beloved Trojan football. Fight on!

12. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Agree with THorse on a couple of his points:

1. With a good class coming in and with a number of good players already in the fold, it would not take that long to turn the program around if the right "CEO" type of coach could be brought in to channel the efforts of the current players and assistant coaches (although there might be some fallout of assistants to a new HC) and inspire some confidence in the program.

2. Present administration does not appear to care about the role of the USC football program as a way to bring attention and interest to the school as a number of prior Trojan administrations did and a number of administrations in the SEC, ACC, Big10 and Big12 do now. There really is no place in the current world of Big 5 college football for programs that are not willing to pursue the CFP with as much effort as can be mustered else that program will fall out of the national conversation being pushed by the TV networks and the NCAA itself.

13. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Dec 19, 2020
    We are stuck in quicksand, going down slowly until someone pulls us out, ie..Urban.

LucGomez40 likes this.
  14. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Great column as usual Chris.

Just before the start of the game I was thinking of John McKay teams, and how we used to outphysical duckies badly and wear them down and win easily. So it was painful to watch them be more physical than us. They could run the ball on us but we couldn't run on them.

Harrell has failed as an OC. Both the run game and pass game have regressed. Stepp who looked like he could be great the last couple of seasons now looks mediocre like our other runners. And Christon who could be a great weapon has been forgotten.

Urban Meyer is the cure to all our problems but our admin doesn't seem smart enough to go after him.

Helton delenda este

15. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Dec 19, 2020
    You can't be serious.
    Helton has been here for how many years?
    He has not been a good coach for 1 single minute of it.

16. TrojanMafia

TrojanMafia Points Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Slovis is a very good qb. I don’t get some fans bashing him and saying the incoming recruits will take over. His lines a joke, no rushing game, play callings trash, and receivers run predictable routes

17. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Dec 19, 2020
    I like the dancing though. Should I bust another verse for Coach Sir Dance-a-lot?

18. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020

Still praying for a miracle?

19. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    I wish I had your patient NICE way of stating the obvious. I guess I will never smooth out my rough edges, but a dumpster fire is just what it is named. A Bin full of many possibly great players and many potential professional football stars set on fire by the lack of anything resembling suitable coaching,player development or administrative support.

I absolutely enjoy and look forward to your articles...Fight On.

User1234 likes this.
  20. jacksonsf

jacksonsf Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    its worse. At least there was hope and a bad coach was gone in 3-4 years. Now we understand that Heritage Hall is the obstacle to success.

User1234 likes this.