Musings from Arledge: COVID-19

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Mar 19, 2020.

2. KnightsWhoSayNi

KnightsWhoSayNi Junior Member

Mar 19, 2020
    Now because Keynesian economics is really a misguided religion, and you referenced Keynes in your article, one could ask the mods to move this article to the Off topic board on the basis of religious reference. Alas, we agree on the ills of Keynesianism so I applaud you.

CFB Fan likes this.
  3. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Mar 19, 2020
    The US response showed an ill prepared approach combined with poor leadership at the very top. This led to where we are today IMHO.

Here is an excerpt from a NY Times article on the administrations approch:

Almost two decades ago, during George W. Bush’s presidency, the federal government developed guidelines for communicating during a public-health crisis. Among the core principles are “be first,” “be right,” “be credible,” “show respect” and “promote action.”

But the Trump administration’s response to coronavirus, as a Washington Post news story put it, is “breaking almost every rule in the book.”

So, not unlike a football coach who doesn't plan his practices to win games, and then he and the team look foolish during a game, well you get the picture. And now we are in panic mode because our lack of experience in this situation and a late start.

J4SC75 likes this.
  4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Mar 19, 2020
    Under 30 population are carriers of viruses. They think they are invincible, note large numbers of drug deaths at SC. They visit their parents & grandparents.

J4SC75, Troken and shtrojan like this.
  5. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Mar 19, 2020
    Quoting The NY Times was your first problem.

6. KeenObserver

Mar 19, 2020
    On the surface, this looks to be an overreaction. However I see this as a dire threat to our parents, grandparents and elderly neighbors. I personally don’t fear getting the virus for me or my kids. I do fear becoming a host and accidentally killing somebody we love.

We are on lock down in NoCal so I’ve been having a lot of family time. Good thing I’m a home brewer and have exercise equipment in my garage.

I hope things return to normal soon, but I don’t even know what normal is anymore. I do think we need to seriously decouple from China as a trade partner and travel destination. Screw those commie bastards.

TrojanDave85, Gary9, Troken and 9 others like this.
  7. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Mar 19, 2020
    We could always change to a "Logan's Run" world and then let the virus go unchecked. :)

I don't have any answers either...My main concern with your suggestions are that if you put relatively few limits on the movement of say "all people under 60", and keep things pretty much business as usual, then the virus is going to stay around until virtually everyone under 60 has gotten the disease...and that is assuming they will only get it once and the virus will not mutate significantly. How long will that take? 4 months, 6 months, a year...longer? ...Does the flu ever go away? ...Even with flu vaccines in place..and in the case of Covid-19 realistically a vaccine seems to be around 18 months away. During that time period, we will need to either keep over 60 people (I'm one of them) on lockdown, or simply say we're going to lose around 7-8% of them. I can't see how, in a democracy, any administration can possibly do that. I'll also say that China, South Korea, and Japan seem to be tackling the problem in a manner where, after a few more weeks, your suggestions may not be necessary.

The other issue is that I read earlier today that 38% of all Covid-19 cases in American hospitals are under 55 years of age. These people are not dying in large numbers but they do need hospital care. If we simply let things run their course, it seems that there would be a distinct possibility that the virus curve will not be flattened enough to not overwhelm our medical system in the short term.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    J4SC75, Boselli, gubo&palanka and 2 others like this.
  8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Mar 19, 2020
    “Why are we not locking down only senior citizens (and those who must interact with them daily) and those who are already sick and using our governmental and charitable resources to get those people the food, medicine, and other help they might need to survive the crisis? ”
    ————-

I have been thinking this too. But like you, I am not an expert.

TrojanHorse likes this.
  9. Kaptain Karl

Kaptain Karl Points Member

Mar 19, 2020
    100%! Couldn’t have said that better. Helicopter rides for the CPC!!

10. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Mar 19, 2020
    No, my first problem was expecting an intelligent reply to the content

11. KeenObserver

Mar 19, 2020
    Mark Levin has had an excellent breakdown of the president’s and congress’ response to the crisis on his show today. Very balanced assessment.

Troken, jumpy369 and Merlin4SC like this.
  12. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Mar 19, 2020
    In your opinion, what was done or not done that demonstrated an “ill prepared approach”?

13. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Mar 19, 2020
    So you are just willing to take WaPo's word for it no matter what they say? I HATE POLITICS ON THIS BOARD, and this is a classic example of why. I doubt you have heard each of the press conferences and addresses of Trump and the Task Force on COVID-19 since you came up with this. What do you think WaPo is going to say? So the reason for hating politics on the board is that I now think less of you and you think less of me and it taints our conversations about football. It's usually out of ideology or heritage or ignorance or all the above that we get sideways. But this "orange man bad" routine is really fucking old and tired. He's not going to resign because people hate him. But it's best you arm yourself with info before condemning people, and WaPo doesn't cut it as one of the most pathological lying pieces of fish wrap in the business -- their reputation for creating false damaging garbage is well established.

14. Fourthseed

Fourthseed Junior Member

Mar 19, 2020
    BTW, "data" are plural!! "the data seem..." not "the data seems."

15. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Mar 19, 2020
    This is actually not a bad article, and it isn't really OT. But I would correct one thing with all due respect. It isn't the public who is not taking these stats into account, but it is the media who are not taking correct information into account. Classic example was the misinterpretation by NBC of the CDC's new numbers yesterday once they included data from Italy. NBC has an agenda, but the others in the media simply mindlessly parrot what they hear others say, especially if it advances a common agenda. It doesn't have to be accurate. Even Fox is mindlessly doing the same now. It is a matter of semantics that permits such creative license but the casualty of the war on the Trump Admin by the media is our intel. Almost no one gets their info from original sources now unless you are anal and trust no one,.... or have a memory like a steel trap,.......kinda like me. Half the board will think I connect too many dots or dots that aren't there, but I have been trained as an analyst after studying engineering and security policy, and we always look for patterns and common MO's. People really have to do a better job of arming themselves with correct data from the sources and know if they are valid and assess for themselves what it means. This media will be the end of us if we let them.

16. KeepCalm&FightOn

KeepCalm&FightOn Junior Member

Mar 20, 2020
    Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

17. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Mar 20, 2020
    The reports by media of our demise have been greatly exaggerated.

18. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Mar 20, 2020
    One good thing that may come out of Coronavirus crisis is that America will produce more
    products. Medical products are critical to survival. Basic clothing, electronics, transportation should
    be more made by this country at the expense of being a consumer only society.
    And people complain about jobs when they don’t produce anything.

Troken and gubo&palanka like this.
  19. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Mar 20, 2020
    Sorry bud, we're talking about English grammar here, not Latin grammar. The data is in on this:

https://grammarist.com/usage/data/

Boselli likes this.
  20. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Mar 20, 2020
    These are the same people saying Trump admin is racist for saying Wuhan virus... after almost exclusively using that term to describe the virus when it was still mostly just in Wuhan, China. They also criticized Trump for shutting down travel for China weeks ago... and now everyone else has done the same. They insist borders are bad and we should have more free movement a la Europe... even as European countries are now shutting their borders to fellow EU states. They laud the EU as a positive model of governance... even as EU countries declined to come to the aid of Italy when Italy sent out a plea for help for critical medical supplies, resulting in probably hundreds if not thousands of avoidable deaths.

I can't stand listening to Trump talk and hate his Tweeting habit, but damned if his enemies make me reflexively defend him because they are so inane. The reality is eternal: If the man in the WH is a Republican, he is evil and the worst leader ever... until he leaves office, and then he's not so bad COMPARED TO THE CURRENT REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT, WHO IS LITERALLY HITLER.