Musings from Arledge: Caring about the running game and more 2021 opponents

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, May 3, 2021.

2. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    Another great Musings, Chris. Love the evisceration of the Oregon program, hahaha. They really are the ultimate definition of "new money."

J4SC75, Kaptain Karl and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. BeachFAN

BeachFAN Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    Im confused. You're saying that we SHOULDN'T believe that the SC rushing game will improve to above 117th in the country? I say they will because the Trojans will surely put up at least 125 yards on the ground against the vaunted Spartans from San Jose which will boost the season average. I can't speak to the other games of course but Im confident the emphasis on pass blocking 90% of the time won't impact at all the run blocking practice.

But I digress.. since Uncle Clay loves throwing the ball 75x a game, why not commit 100% to the pas and use three lineman and have the rest of the team just be WR's? they seem to have the ability to consistently recruit 5-10 of these types every freaking year so why not use 'em all? Sure there may be a rule that prevents this, BUT if not, at least you'd force other teams to adjust to your scheme since virtually commitment to winning in the trenches has all but disappeared.

Sigh.. only several more years until Clay decides to leave and it WILL be HIS decision.

PS. great article.

4. Moose4usc

Moose4usc Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    That was fantastic, as usual. I freaking DESPISE the ducks as well and I actually root for the gutties when those two teams play.

I lived in Portland from 1999-2014 and definitely the worst thing about that program is THEIR FANS. They are the most obnoxious, entitled, falsely arrogant, loud, bandwagon-y, and annoying fans in the history of fandom. And boy do they love to whine about the refs and supposed anti-duck-bias when they lose. I hope they go back to being irrelevant when uncle Phil passes on.

Oregon State has some very attractive coeds. I think they had two playboy playmates of the year in a five year span in the early 2000’s including everyone’s favorite Sarah Jean Underwood. :-)

5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    Duck fans have disappeared in OC. Lol

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    It is only fitting that this thread cover the Quack Quacks and tail slappers of PAC 12 football since the story at USC appears to be another rerun of the worn out Helton's Asinine Air Raid comedy. My true feelings are for the Trojans football players who are, despite their athletic abilities, being slowly lowered to the basement of all NCAA football team rating categories.

The main thrust and ideology behind a successful team, an army, a corporation, or any organized group is a deeply committed powerful approach to continually achieving or surpassing the goals they have set for themselves. This is how they attain the prestigious titles that only a storied and usually seated in the top echelon of their trade brings them.

USC lost that deeply committed powerful approach to the New World Order of collegiate football and its new dandelion success theory of floating all their seeds in the air to create nothing but weeds. This assumes the ground game is only good enough to support the weedy dandelion seeds air raid attack and nothing else. No strength is needed as it is the whim of the air currents that dictate the dandelion seeds successful landing spot. To date...this has brought USC the finest ranked football field of offensive line weeds, plays known by every opponent since the dandelion air raid began, not the slightest threat of an attack from the ground game, and physicality tossed to the wind along with the dandelion seeds.

No matter what the current USC football program attempts to do will end in failure if the main thrust and ideology of the team is not again realigned with the ideology displayed by successful teams, armies, corporations, or any organized group that are deeply committed to a balanced, well thought out, and physically powerful approach to continually achieve or surpass the goals they have set for themselves.

The current dandelion air raid only, no snaps off center, no tight end plays, no running plays worth a dam or even used, the physicality pie in the sky, a sub par offensive line and a host of new coaches that in the end must follow the direction of the head coachs ideology will not change U.S.C. football. Neither will feckless leadership by Lefty Lady Folt or half baked Bohn.

For the Trojan athletes...Fight on! you have a steep hill to climb.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  7. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    May 3, 2021
    Don't forget the duck on a motorcycle. Pure class.

Moose4usc and Troianus Acies like this.
  8. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    Hilarious. Probably the funniest musings yet. I was laughing throughout the article.

The Oregon segment didn’t disappoint. Fife finding his rhythm against the prevent defense, lol.

9. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

May 4, 2021
    I enjoyed the comments on the decline of the running game combined with Helton's annual commitment to it. Anybody that thinks that Helton and Harrell are going to have improved running this year are going to be sadly disappointed. Less talented o line, continued pop warner offensive scheme.

You have 17 former QB's coaching on the offensive of the ball. You could have a back running for 60 yards on a play and all they are doing is looking at pass plays that they can run.

10. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

May 4, 2021
    No disagreement re: buying into the running game if you consider the source as Helton.

But everything to do with running the ball (Clay McGuire included) is coming down from above in my estimation. Bohn is giving the orders. Helton is the mouth piece. When he speaks of a running game he is basically saying "my ass is on the line to produce a legitimate running game". It's an order. This is indicative of Bohn's leaning in on all things USC Football.

I'm not saying Helton can succeed at this order (I'm pretty sure he takes it serious though). I'm just saying it wasn't his idea or doing. As such it is more interesting to see how this plays out (then say some ex USC HoF football player was AD).

Interestingly, I don't think Graham Harrell is as averse to a running game as it has appeared. But I think he knew there wasn't one so why try when you have their QB and WR weapons? And add to that, he and Drevno never got on the same page obviously. Dysfunction to the very end. This bubbles up to Bohn who wants a running game. Best solution is to get Drevno out and a Harrell guy in. Game on now. Put up or shut up.

Bohn is making the calls and it will be sink or swim for CCH (and staff) to execute on on a running program. The running program is on the critical path for this team to perform at the level USC Football should perform at.

11. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

May 4, 2021
    Must have been sort sort of coed exchange program with ASU....

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  12. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

May 4, 2021
    Sometimes a 3 star coed can in fact develop into a 5 star. Just sayin

Trojack and AMLTrojan like this.
  13. Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
    gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

May 4, 2021
    Back in the dorm days a friend was a former Teen America , a stunner but down to earth.

15. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

May 5, 2021
    I'm sorry to say but I agree with Arledge here. There will be no successful run game and this is all coach talk. Rah rah. Helton says it every year at this time. Last year Helton was accused of interfering with Harrel's Offense. Harrell doesn't want to run the ball. The truth is Helton doesn't have the big boys up front. With the loss of AVT and the lack of recruiting OL we will be weaker up front. Combine this with Harrell being a former QB and wanting to throw the ball every down the running game will suffer.

AMLTrojan and Troianus Acies like this.
  16. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

May 5, 2021
    I completely agree with EVERYTHING you wrote Arledge, and I imagine that 95% of the SC fan base is nodding in agreement as well.

After 6 years of Helton, everything he says is immediately distrusted. He could tell us that the sky is blue and water is wet, and we would openly question the veracity of that statement. To say he's lost all credibility is an understatement. He's like the black-hole of football truth, where honest assessment gets sucked in and can never escape. So for him to once again step forward and speak glowingly about a commitment to running the ball this year is just a lie.

How do the assembled media not laugh out loud, right to his face?

How do the assembled media not openly challenge him—"No! Clay!, that's a lie and you know it! Don't feed us that bullsh** again -- you're NOT going to run the ball and everyone in this room know it."

17. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

May 5, 2021
    That wasn't my point really (maybe I didn't make it clear). I was saying that Bohn is ordering a running game. Much different from Helton making the comment randomly and or w/o any idea about what he is saying or intending to do. If the order is coming down from above, there is accountability to it. Hence my comment about McGuire and Drevno. Therefore the stakes are higher for Helton. We all know if there is no run game there is very little chance for the team to improve significantly (maybe the defense can improve, but it won't mask the lack of a run game). If that happens, after Bohn has set his expectations that has to be a run game to win, well, it makes it all the more easy to push him Helton out the door.

18. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

May 6, 2021
    This is farcical. The idea that the AD has to "order" the coaches to have a run game, is a damning tell all on its own that the coaching staff is incompetent. The proper fix is to fire the HC and bring in competent staff.