MStepp the key to the season.

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by flyfishintrojan, May 17, 2020.

1. MStepp the key to the season.
    flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

May 17, 2020
    IMO. He needs to be a 15-25 carry/game battering ram like Lendale White or Ricky Bell. He needs to make opposing linebackers flinch a bit when trying to tackle him.

When we played Bama last time, LB Reuben Foster would just smash Ronald Jones into the dirt. Rojo started to flinch he got hit so hard. USC needs to reverse that dynamic, or Slovis is a dead man walking.

2. CurtC

CurtC Junior Member

May 17, 2020
    Totally agree on Stepp and I can't wait to see him this season. Such an exciting and talented player, who adds a much-needed dimension to our offense. 6.2 average per (limited) carry. Just hope he's fully recovered from the ankle-injury.

earlandnic likes this.
  3. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    May 17, 2020

4. BigDaddy4464

BigDaddy4464 Junior Member

May 17, 2020
    I would say that to make that kind of running game going against an Alabama, it would help to have their Offense Line.
    In the words of Keith Jackson, you need to have the "Big Uglies" up front. MStepp or any back will need at least a crease.

I myself remember with great fondness the Student Boy Right days. It just seems that the game is different, players are different and defenses have evolved. This SC offense is dynamic and I love to watch it. I think that you could see a power running package used on occasion, but I don't think it can work as a foundation of this OC's offensive philosophy. If you're going to feature power running you now encourage 8 men in the box and potential 2nd and 3rd and longs. If Slovis and the O-Line can handle that great. If not, you've got problems.

5. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

May 17, 2020
    There are a lot of disagreements in this forum but there is one consensus: give Stepp the damn ball.

Without him we will be passing the ball on 3rd and inches.

6. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

May 17, 2020
    I keep trying to figure out who is going to be our #1 RB next season, but I keep coming up with it doesn't matter.
    Carr/Malepeai/Stepp would all be #1s if they were on several other PAC-12 programs.

The one thing I would OCGH to stop/start doing is to ride the hot hand.
    If Carr is in, and he gets 4-6yds/car, you continue to leave him in.
    Don't take out Carr, put in Malepeai, and he only gets 1-2yds/car, and that messes up our run game for that drive.

Or another way of saying it would be to throw out the depth chart, and focus on which RB would be the best option for our running game against that opponent.
    List them ALL as co-starters, and figure out who has the hot hand as the game is going on, and continue to give him the ball, even if that means he gets 20-25 carries and the other two get 4-8 carries.
    Am I wrong in thinking that?

7. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

May 17, 2020
    While I couldn't agree more that Stepp needs to carry the ball more, I disagree in that the key to having a successful season will be the cohesiveness and overall play of the Offensive Line to open holes for Stepp and the rest of the RBs as well as protect Slovis and keep him upright.

gubo&palanka, AtownSC and DaFireMedic like this.
  8. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

May 17, 2020
    The only thing is, we have 7 former Olinemen in the NFL, and one RB. I am beginning to think maybe USC hasn’t been recruiting enough tough rugged RBs and the O line has been getting a bit of a bad rap. We need our RBs to make plays, and I have not really seen that. I realize it is a chicken or egg thing, but sometimes you gotta look at results.

TheTrojanKnight and gubo&palanka like this.
  9. AtownSC

AtownSC Points Member

May 18, 2020
    I love that we have a RB like Stepp to run through the middle if the D is over-concentrating on the pass. But one thing is for sure, this is going to be a pass-first offense so whoever is the RB needs to learn adequate pass protection. Keeping Slovis healthy is the key to our success. I dont see 10+ wins with JT or Fink.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

May 18, 2020
    We need Stepp to remain healthy throughout the season. He can wear down defenses, if he is healthy.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  11. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

May 18, 2020
    If we're lucky enough to have JT on the roster, I am still good with having a winning season. Without Slovis and him, we are sunk.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

May 18, 2020
    Actually I count three SC running backs either on rosters or in free agency. Rojo, Aca'Cedric Ware (both on Tampa Bay roster) and Buck Allen as a free agent.

13. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

May 18, 2020
    I love the idea of spreading our receivers, forcing the defense to play nickel all day and guard space, then running Stepp on counter and inside trap plays. If the LB start to cheat up to help with gap assignments, run play-action and throw to a slot WR or TE running a post or in route.

gubo&palanka and DaFireMedic like this.
  14. ForwardUntoDawn

ForwardUntoDawn Points Member

May 20, 2020
    Nothing against those guys but I'm ready for the Carr/Malepeai era to end. Again, nothing against them But Stepp and Christon should be the future.

15. fanoftroy01

fanoftroy01 Active Member

May 20, 2020
    I love Stepp's physicality, but I'm not to thrilled with Mike Jinks as a running back coach, his running backs danced around too much instead of running between the tackles. Which probably led to all of those injuries. I wish SC could of replace Jinks during their coaching purge with someone similar to Deland McCullough.

16. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

May 20, 2020
    The thing about Stepp is that he can run through arm tackles, something the rest have more trouble with.