Monday Morning Cornerback podcast

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 2, 2019.

2. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Erik .. I know from previous podcasts that Greg Katz liked Jack Sears for his leadership, mobility and play making ability and ability, if allowed by the staff, to present defenses with a 2nd run threat.

Harvey Hyde on the other site expressed similar sentiments.

The Fresno QB showed how valuable these other qualities can be even if you aren't Tom Brady-like as a passer, i.e. - being an effective college QB ain't solely about who looks better throwing the ball in a yellow jersey.

I'm wondering about your opinion of Jack vs Matt and the new QB1, Slovis , based on what you observed before they closed practices to the media.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    BlackLeftLeft likes this.
  3. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Sep 2, 2019
    From my point of view, anybody who wanted Jack Sears at quarterback, wanted him in regard to the offense they would run as head coach of the USC Trojans. They like his toughness. They like his mobility. And they like his playmaking ability.

I'm going to speak for Greg and Harvey here, because I think I'm being fair to them. I don't believe they would be running the Air Raid at USC, so their criteria for selecting a quarterback would be different than what Clay Helton and Graham Harrell are using. A lot of people would give a close race to the quarterback who can make things happen with his feet and out of the pocket. This staff is making it clear that they don't give as much weight to that as other people do.

I think Jack throws a nice deep ball, and I think he could scramble for yards if he needed to. But I think this offense requires the quarterback to spend most of his time making quick reads and hitting receivers, with potentially some long throws on quick outs, and I don't think Sears is better than the others at those specific things. But for the record, I would be fine if it was Sears getting ready to start at quarterback this weekend.

The coaches are looking for a guy who fits their system. If you have a great outfield and a terrible infield, you can't invest a bunch of money in ground ball pitchers (obviously not a perfect analogy here, but I think it's close).

I'm hopeful that Slovis is ready for Stanford and that he has a great game. I do think he has the talent to be the starting quarterback at USC. I also think it would have been better for everyone is that was happening as a redshirt sophomore or junior. This Stanford defense is capable of offering some coverage wrinkles and pressures that will definitely make him look like a true freshman at times. I'm just hopeful that those are few and far enough between that he can get a rhythm in the offense and make some plays.

4. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019

This is why it's smart for Jack to enter the portal. It appeared that Helton was leaning towards a certain type of QB (Sam, Matt, Jack), then, in a reversal, he signed JT......then hired GH. Sears didn't come to USC to run the AR. He doesn't possess the skills GH is looking for in a QB.

Erik. How do you think Sam would've fared in this current offense? Could you see all his attributes being utilized in Harrell's system?

5. billsb1970

billsb1970 Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Sears would be better suited in an RPO offense. For the past two years he get's happy feet and pulls the ball down to run instead of reading the defense and going through his progressions

6. BeatND2019

BeatND2019 Points Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Is your happy feet observation based on the ASU game, scrimmages, or practices?

7. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Sep 2, 2019
    I think Sam would be just fine in any system.

8. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Sep 3, 2019
    If the team is not 100% solidly behind Slovis, or any other true freshman starting quarterback, the outcome will be miserable. Specially, if the team has not shown any significant improvement in attitude, discipline or physicality.

The team is a reflection of the head coach screams loudly here.