Mike Bohn Dave Aranda is available and you don't talk to him?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Cardinal&Gold, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Mike Bohn Dave Aranda is available and you don't talk to him?
    Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019

https://thespun.com/sec/lsu/lsu-dc-dave-aranda-reportedly-makes-decision-on-unlv-job

Dave Aranda has interviewed for the UNLV job?

He's reported to be interested in a head coaching job. Sounds like the guy is in play. He's one of the hottest young coaching candidates on the market. At the very least the next Kirby Smart. If you pass on him now. You probably don't get another shot. He's likely going to land somewhere succeed and stay there for awhile.

Currently he's LSU's top recruiter. ( The Closer) and puts an Elite Defense on the field every year.

Hire Aranda and you get

Dave Aranda's defense
    Graham Harrell's offense

Bohn can spin this like this. We really like Clay Helton but we couldn't pass on a future star. Bohn becomes the good guy again.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    cshen10, qqqqqqqman, RPBSC and 5 others like this.

2. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Way too competent of a coach for Clueless to have around. Aranda is a proven commodity. Harrell was a gamble.

Troy70, OC2SC and RobertSmithLA like this.
  3. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Bohn has probably played his hand with Helton this year
    And it is Heltons job to keep Harrell
    Maybe try to get Aranda for DC

4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Clay loves Clancy

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    LSU struggled on defense all year. A major let-down after last season. Not saying he wouldn't be an improvement, but if he's looking to leave, there's a reason.

6. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    I’m not sure it’s Bohn’s decision, although as AD it should be. I think the higher ups have given him direction in some form or another that includes retaining CCH.

FIGHTON!, Esthersar and zitorocks like this.
  7. Coeur

Coeur Points Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Try to get Aranda as Dc? You aren’t being serious are you?
    SC will have a tough time hiring coordinators like any nose diving program would. Guys not in demand can look at SC as a good risk for them but guys in good jobs aren’t looking at the SC coordinator jobs highly.

Aranda interviewed and negotiated at UNLV and Colorado State.

I could see Harrell coming into play at Colorado State maybe? The Texas OC offer seems great. The only reason I could ever see giving Harrell a long term deal as OC and possibly putting him on a new HC search as someone who has to be there is for only one guy.

There’s one perfect SC head coach that could only get hired with an OC is Ken Niumatalolo from Navy. Niumatalolo could be the HC of an all star staff and would recruit at another level at SC. I wanted Niumatalolo bad when they hired Helton and think SC would be going from Tua to DjU this next year. And in these last few playoffs.

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  8. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Dough was retained, why does anyone think he would change anything?

9. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    I’m not saying you are wrong, but what about
    Niumatalolo leads you to the conclusion that he would recruit at another level being that he has only been HC at Navy, an armed forces academy?

No doubt he has done a great job there at Navy.

10. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1OPRB_enUS600US600&ei=U0rxXcjSBY3k-gTGmbnwBw&q=LSU+schedule&oq=LSU+schedule&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l2j0i67j0l7.7749.12032..12481...0.0..0.93.1073.13......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i30j0i273j0i131.50hj73vbDyg&ved=0ahUKEwiIyOnisK7mAhUNsp4KHcZMDn4Q4dUDCAs&uact=5#sie=t;/m/0fht9f;6;/m/012hfxch;mt;fp;1;;

LSU was 32 in total Defense

Alabama was 17th. Should Alabama fire their Defensive coordinator?

You forgot to mention LSU played one of the toughest if not the hardest schedule in college football. So I'll give him a pass.

Week 2 Texas @ Texas

Week 6 #9 Florida

Week 8 #12 Auburn

Week 9 #2 Alabama

Week 12 #4 Georgia

Not counting

7-5 Texas A&M

7-5 Utah State

LSU beat the top 2 teams in the SEC East and West (Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Auburn)

LSU was not playing a bunch of stiffs in the Pac 12.

This is why I'm picking LSU. They are battle tested this season. FYI: Put Dave Aranda in this weak Pac 12 conference and he dominates. Remember what Aranda did to USC?

Jack Cichy got a Hat Trick. ( 3 sacks in a row on well designed blitz packages)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    cshen10, qqqqqqqman and Troy70 like this.
  11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    What does Alabama have to do with anything and nobody suggested Aranda should be fired. The truth is, their defense has struggled this season, less so the last few games. Look at the points scored against them. 38 vs Texas, 38 vs Vandy, 28 vs Florida, 41 vs Bama, 37 vs Ole Piss (who only had 2 conference wins). That is a very big difference from last season.

I also didn't mention that until a few weeks ago, LSU fans weren't giving him a pass. The defense has been the biggest issue all year and just like fans here can be, plenty were ready for him to be fired.

They did. Georgia didn't play bama but they did beat Florida, giving up far fewer points, and Auburn, also holding them to fewer points. That and the outcome of the SECCCG are exactly why football transitivity can be a false argument.

LSU looks to be the favorite based on the semi match-up, not disputing that. My point was that Aranda hasn't looked like the dragonslayer he was last season. Schedule strength should have no bearing on that performance, particularly when you look at the offenses they faced.

12. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Doesn’t matter SC looking to go cheap