Midseason Review, and looking ahead to USC at UCLA (from Rich Ruben)

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 9, 2020.

2. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Thanks, excellent write-up.
    This is a rivalry game and I expect a close game. Rak can't play soft. Attack!
    Against the Huskies, you said the Bigs took 40 shots. I think CAE needs to go inside - out next time against their zone. Pass it inside (available in the 3-2 zone) and then quickly pass to a 3 shooter. That's how the bRuins won and they can't shoot. We will beat the Huskies next time.

3. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Jan 9, 2020
    I just read that Wash PG Quade Green has been ruled academically ineligible. Huge loss.
    I just saw Ore beat AZ in OT. They both have excellent PG's and that will be big trouble for our PG's.

4. Yale

Yale Points Member

Jan 10, 2020
    sc does poorly vs a defense oriented/physical team...guess ucla is better , they beat wash at Wash where sc got stomped; it appeared sc would be better this yr, guess not; they don't even make free throws.

5. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2020
    Wash was a team similar to USC with big name 5 star recruits. The size of the loss was unsettling
    But better shooting will close the gap
    This is a big practice area

Yale likes this.
  6. Wilson Reade

Wilson Reade New Member

Jan 10, 2020
    It's hard to win when you continually miss shots that your opponent is making.

This team can develop and improve and win conference games. We have good talent and finally some balance in the roster. But results have been so disappointing for so long that a lot of us won't believe it until we see it happen.

Yale likes this.
  7. SCFan82

SCFan82 Member

Jan 10, 2020
    Another good report.

I’m not as enthusiastic about the defense as most people are. SC does not put any ball pressure on guards and the off ball defensive positioning is really poor. Mobley is lost off ball and is never in the right position to help. Players are never on the ball line one pass away. They always sag back letting even the best shooters catch uncontested. This is NOT the players’ fault. These are coaching problems, and I don’t think this staff understands even the basics of defensive fundamentals. The AZ/UO game showed 2 teams who know how to play defense. Not just on ball, but off ball too. There’s absolutely no reason that this team should have lost to that UW team by 32. Unfortunately, they need to be taught.

Yale likes this.