Mick Haley out as W Volleyball coach

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by GarryP, Dec 16, 2017.

2. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Dec 16, 2017
    Well, Mick had his successes, but after winning those two NCs I was a little frustrated we did win again all these years since.

3. tjfan001

tjfan001 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2017
    I was surprised that Swann made the decision so quickly as I didn't think he would pay much attention to volleyball. I was very frustrated with USC's performance in recent years. The team didn't have sizes and tenacity to sustain long matches at critical moments. We were constantly out-recruited by foes like Stanford, Washington, and even UCLA.

I don't know who will be our next coach. Is it (slightly) possible that Jenny Lang Ping, the current Chinese National Women's Volleyball coach and former United States Women's Volleyball coach (winning 2008 Olympics silver) can be a candidate?

Someone please send this idea to Swann :).

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 18, 2017
    I was hoping uscvball would comment on this.

5. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 19, 2017
    He goes to games just like Haden and Garrett did. There has been a big drop off in attendance and even when we were good, attendance wasn't exactly breaking records. I was surprised Mick didn't get the boot last year.

This is somewhat accurate. There has always been a certain "je ne sais quoi" about Mick. Word gets around and his style isn't for everyone. The bigger problem is not getting the most out of those he signs. Besides, he's now suing USC for age discrimination. At 74, I'm not sure how effective he can be recruiting 16 and 17 year old high school students. It's a different world.

She would not be in my top 10 suggestions for replacement. Minimal college coaching experience, no recruiting connections. I know you want to see Chinese athletes on the team but this ain't the way to go.
    It was time for Mick to go. He's had a few too many players transfer or drop for grades and our recruiting classes have been okay but the results are not. He gave it a good run in the post-season this year considering how inconsistent we were during the season but we were not a successful program. Samantha Bricio just about single-handedly carried the program for 4 years and Khalia Lanier has been outstanding but it takes more than that.

Volleyball is very much like softball. At one time, SoCal and West Coast colleges dominated because we play year round and the club system we had was second to none. Coaches from around the country came out here to see how talent was identified and developed and they took that method back. Now states like Texas, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, and Florida have the type of competitive youth clubs that we have always had out here. Add in that tournaments that always used to be on the West Coast are now played in Texas, etc and so more kids are getting seen by recruits.

The West Coast is doing the same in reverse as it relates to Lacrosse. That's always been an East Coast thing but with the development of Lacrosse leagues and clubs in SoCal, schools like USC are becoming a factor. We absolutely have the talent and kids from the East sure do like playing in the weather out here.

As for volleyball coach replacements, I have zero idea who is available or what kind of money we would pay. If it was top drawer, I'd just go straight after the big ones. Russ Rose might be a bit on the old side but John Cook would be great, Tonya Johnson, Mary Wise. Or if we are budget conscious then the first name that comes to mind for me is Dain Blanton. His experience is outside but he knows the indoor game quite well. He's from Laguna, played at Pepperdine, has been on our Women's Sand coaching staff for a couple years, has Olympic Gold. With the continuing synergy between indoor and outdoor, he is the perfect conduit and I think he would kill it in recruiting.

6. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Thank you vball. I try to watch the ladies on TV a few times a year and the team is definitely better than last year, but not as good as in years past. Hope they hire a good coach. I like the Blanton idea.

7. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Dec 19, 2017
    It will be interesting to see who USC hires. Jarritt Elliott makes the most sense, but he'd be leaving a sweet gig at Texas plus a really good team. I doubt they'd get Hugh McCutcheon from Minnesota. Perhaps Swann will go after Kirsten Bernthal Booth from Creighton or try to make a run at John Cook from Nebraska.

8. tjfan001

tjfan001 Junior Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Getting the coach from the defending national champion? That's like trying to woo Nick Saban out of Alabama. I'd say it is a very long shot.

9. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Dec 19, 2017
    If you're going to let a legend like Mick Haley go, you need to have an excellent replacement already in mind IMO.

10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 20, 2017
    We should probably be realistic and admit that USC is one of the most miserly institutions in the country. We don't pay the non-revenue sports coaches jack. I also mentioned Cook but realistically I don't see USC coming up with the ducketts which is why I mentioned the AHC at Texas, Tonya Johnson. Elliott would be more than a homerun but again, those tight pockets probably eliminate him.

And yes, I hope Swann has someone already in mind. Now is the time to get the first pick.

11. FirstampLastPost

FirstampLastPost Junior Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Stunning. All the talk of Fisher or even Hilliard and then ... this. Stunning. What is going on at HH? No other word but stunning.

12. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Underwhelming to say the least. He turned a winless team into a .500 team. Is that what they call a turnaround these days?

He'll be eaten alive at the recruiting trough.

13. tjfan001

tjfan001 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2018
    It's like Steve Sarkisian's hire. He turned winless Washington football into above par program :(.

14. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 8, 2019
    In July, former USC women’s volleyball coach Mick Haley accused USC and Heinel of harassment because of age discrimination in a complaint filed with the American Arbitration Assn. Haley’s attorney, Christopher Ludmer, alleged that Heinel attempted to limit the team’s roster, subjected Haley to “contrived” criticism and demanded that he retire before his five-year contract expired, calling the 75-year-old coach “archaic” and “old.”....

What if, through answering questions in a deposition in the Haley matter, Heinel gave federal prosecutors ammunition that could aid them in convicting her for participating in a racketeering conspiracy?

On March 25, Heinel pleaded not guilty to the federal charge. She faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted for conspiring to accept bribe payments to facilitate the admission of nonworthy athletes into USC. On April 12, she filed a motion to stay the Haley hearing and for a protective order against any discovery on her until her criminal matter is resolved. On April 25, Haley filed an opposition to both requests, and on Friday, USC urged a brief stay so that discovery could proceed in an efficient manner....

On Monday, the arbitrator ruled against Heinel and in favor of Haley on both requests, according to an email reviewed by the Los Angeles Times. Because of the delay in discovery related to Heinel’s indictment, the arbitrator ordered to continue the hearing from August 2019 to March 2020, a decision that served as a blemish on Haley’s victory and a desired result for USC.

The most important development, though, is that Heinel will now be deposed regardless of the status of her criminal case."
    https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-donna-heinel-mick-haley-usc-arbitration-20190507-story.html

I don't know that I've ever come to dislike a former employee as much as I have Heinel. Haley's claims that she tried to limit his roster is similar to her lack of support for Track Coach Allice when he wanted to bring in certain prospects. For someone who claimed to be anti-discrimination, her record is looking less than stellar. I hope she loses every lawsuit, is convicted for the college scandal, and spends a lot of time behind bars.

CrownoftheValley likes this.