Message to Matt Fink

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Canyon, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    They should of revised the playbook like the Steelers did for Mason Rudolf on MNF. 90% of his passes thrown to RBs all under 15 yards. Pretty successful so far in the first half. But this could of worked with SC RBs.

2. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Typical posters, whining that the team’s 3rd string QB isn’t Tom Brady. Alabama would be awkward with their 3rd teamer.

3. Coeur

Coeur Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    I think he just stole that from Eminem’s biggest fan Stan. And then switched it to Fink.
    If this guy and his little brother ever wait outside in the pouring rain for four hours I hope Fink doesn’t shun them for autographs

4. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Out of curiosity, did you watch the games or only the highlight reels?

Count them again. Fink threw up 2 jump balls against Utah, both times evading a heavy pass rush, and trusted his receivers who had a significant advantage over the DB's. The results were TD's. He did have the INT which was badly underthrown. But he was 21 of 30 overall including several beautiful throws that hit his receivers in stride. Yet some are talking like he threw up only jump balls instead of just the two. You might watch the Stanford game again and count how many jump balls Slovis threw up.

He did not do the same thing against UW, rather he did the opposite, and it cost him. He didn't throw any jump balls until his last offensive play of the game, and I'm not sure that one was really a jump ball, just a poor throw. Much to my chagrin, he didn't throw long at all until late in the 3rd Q, a beautiful strike to Pittman in stride for a 44 yd TD which led to me to ask why they waited so long. His only other long attempts of the game were an incomplete out of bounds and that last INT.

UW was keying on the short pass, so we should have been throwing long to stretch the field and make the defense wary when we weren't running the ball. That was just poor play calling IMO, and left the QB to try to force the short passing game with covered receivers. The same thing happened to Slovis against BYU. The coaches have to adjust when the defense keys on stopping the short passing game.

5. 023lenlen

023lenlen Senior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    He never looked for a 2nd or 3rd option, and several times receivers were open downfield, Don't put it on the OC/playcaller, when the QB doesn't go through the progressions and the QB doesn't adjust to the safeties playing 15 yards from the LOS and there were plenty of quick strikes available w/ the backs

6. FTFO/USC

FTFO/USC Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    2 jump balls to TV on the first drive. One incomplete and one completed for a TD.
    2nd drive: jump ball into double coverage (looked like triple coverage as the safety came over late) that MP comes down with. nicely placed. and then another jump ball thrown to ARst.B. That was underthrown, but great play by Amon-Ra.

So thats 2 drives, 4 jump balls, 2 of which went for TDs.

Next drive, jump ball thrown to MP. incomplete. Later, another jump ball to MP who comes down with it. Drive ends with a Carr fumble.

Anyway, I think I've proven my point. Yes, i did watched the games btw. Fink is playing his heart out and our offense is simple and accommodating for even a 3rd stringer, hence the completions percentage. BTW in watching some of the tape in replying to your comment, I see that Fink actually has some really nice and accurate placement his lobs especially those to MP. Wish he gave Drake London more of a chance at Washington.

"UW was keying on the short pass, so we should have been throwing long " Im sorry but thats just wrong. Did we watch the same game? Against Washington, its not that he didn't throw jump balls, the defense took it away from him because as I said, thats what he was most successful with against Utah. Lake is too smart for that. He kept his safeties ultra deep and doubled covered both MP and TV. Either we methodically drove down the field (which we could've if Clueless ran the damn ball) or we weren't scoring. Evidently, we didn't score enough and lost.

fight on

7. DaFireMedic

Oct 1, 2019
    I agree with everything except that I still think you throw long to stretch the field. I had to listen on the radio for a bit when the third quarter started, and Shaun Cody was saying the same thing, that he was puzzled as to why we hadn’t tried to throw long at all yet.

But Fink didn’t do the same thing against UW that he did against Utah. IMO, he should have thrown long more than twice, and the coaches should not have tried to force the short passing game but run the ball until they stopped us.

Fight on!

FTFO/USC likes this.
  8. DaFireMedic

Oct 1, 2019
    I agree. Should have been more throws to the TE’s and RB’s. Do they not practice these?