Mens volleyball recruiting class

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by Ricky Bell 42, Nov 28, 2016.

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 28, 2016
    I certainly hope so. After last season, it can't get much worse.

3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 28, 2016
    I guess my question is, what makes you think it's a top level class? We aren't in the top 10 nationally and both furd and the ruins had better signing classes. Hell, the suckeyes had another great class while constant nemesis UCI and even CSULB had better classes.

http://volleyballmag.com/ncaarecruitingrankings/

4. Ricky Bell 42

Ricky Bell 42 Junior Member

Nov 28, 2016

That is this years class (2016). The guys I mentioned are next year's class (2017). UCLA is loaded though this year and next.

5. Ricky Bell 42

Jun 5, 2017
    Usc has 8 players of the fab 50 (top 50 hs players).

I,think 1 will be DQed though. Still, a great class

6. Ricky Bell 42

Jun 27, 2017
    We have the # 3 class overall. Ucla Is ranked higher, but knowing the players, they shouldn't be

7. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I care. I never played volleyball (5-8) but I've always enjoyed watching it. Especially back in the day when SC was good. I have to admit that I prefer the women's game but volleyball is a great spectator sport, IMO.

8. Ricky Bell 42

Jan 3, 2018
    Won our 1st match against Princeton:

USC 3, Princeton 1: The Trojans of the MPSF beat the visitors from the EIVA 28-26, 25-22, 25-27, 25-22 in the first meeting ever between the programs.

Jack Wyatt, back from a two-year layoff, led USC with 20 kills. The junior outside also had nine digs. Gianluca Grasso had 18 kills and four aces. And freshman Sam Lewis had 11 kills in 14 errorless swings to hit .786. Ryan Moss added 11 kills.

Sam Lewis will be huge for USC. 6'11' with long arms. Very light on his feet (or is it "light on the loafers"? or both. Good quickness for a big guy.

9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Good quickness? I couldn't disagree more. I went to the match last night at the Pyramid against #1 LB St. There's a reason they are #1 right now but USC absolutely sucked outside of what the 49'ers put down.

We were out-hustled, out-muscled, out-played, and out-coached. LB is super scrappy and they went after every ball, even with a commanding lead and dominating match. I watched our players with lead feet while balls hit the floor. No excuse.

LB has a handful of players whose serve is a threat to score every time. USC has one...maybe. The rest are vanilla. Hit the gym, fellas! I serve harder that what I saw. I realize every serve doesn't have to be ace-potential but damn....you can't give a team like that easy points by not pressuring serve receive. We had ZERO aces, LB had 8.

Their back row is phenomenal. They anticipate, they play low and quick. Our back row? Needs help. No anticipation, no side-to-side quickness. Of course it's tough when you have no block. USC had ONE team block last night, just ONE! That was by Lewis....on the outside. He was in a 1v1 in the middle all night and couldn't stop anything. The coach should have tried something else.

Our hitting? Bad. .180 vs .425 for LB. We got blocked, stuffed, tipped, and hit out of bounds repeatedly. Their setter, Tuaniga is nails and such an overall asset. At least 4 or 5 awesome dumps last night. We were never prepared.

We have a very long way to go to be anywhere near the top 5. I was not impressed at all with Lewis or coaching. I can't abide a lack of hustle. Never stop moving.

10. Ricky Bell 42

Jan 30, 2018
    We are still rebuilding and LB is on another level from everybody else. Ensing Tuinaga and DeFalco are in their 3rd year playing together in college and in their college prime. We have a good base right now and should be able to build off of that. I guess the one issue is the long term culture of the VB program and if our coach can change that. Also, the Sam Lewis comment was somewhat tongue and cheek, not sure anyone caught that?

11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Yes, I gave LB their well-deserved props. But rebuilding is not an excuse for a lack of effort and hassle. Over and over I watched the ball hit the floor, not even a hard hit, and players just stand and watch. They didnt dive, didn't move, didn't seem to react.

And rebuilding isn't an excuse for just ONE team block? We were bad in the front row. We were bad at service. I don't think this coach is the answer.

12. Ricky Bell 42

Feb 1, 2018

There is a lot to this and it would be a long response to go into all the details, but I am not sure there is a solution. I am not sure there is any coach that can solve the issues at USC.

13. Ricky Bell 42

Feb 1, 2018
    One quick issue is this thread has been around for a year + and how many responded? Nobody cares