Meet the new Track Staff at Homecoming

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by trackdude, Nov 15, 2013.

2. WJW39

WJW39 Junior Member

Dec 21, 2013
    trackdude: What recruits have the Trojans brought in for men's track this year and what lettermen are returning from last years team?

3. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Don't know who the recruits are. If I'm told, I usually have to keep it to myself so I don't ask anymore. At this point I'm assuming that we'll return most (if not all) of our athletes from last year, but I'll know more after the new year. I think we're going to be is pretty good shape. Transition years are always a challenge, Coach Caryl really seems ready for it. Can't wait for the season to begin.

4. aramis 27

aramis 27 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    I wish that were true but its not. Both NCAA winners from this past season are gone. Bryshon Nellum in the 400 and Reggie Wyatt in the 400IH.

Other seniors from last season were Tyler Ruiz in the HJ, though we still have Fajoyomi, Dew, and Baynes in the HJ for this coming season, They also lost the javelin thrower Cooper Thompson.

All is not lost though as they will be very strong in the sprints with Aaron Brown and Beejay Lee both returning and both ran 10.07 last year. Adding to the 200 is Davonte Stewart back from an injury plagued soph year. As a frosh he ran 20.55 Beejay is not as good in the 200.

2 new Trojans will fill in at 400 meters, Frosh Rohani and JC transfer Owens. Returner Myles Andrews is set for 800 but the 1500, Steeple and 5000 are not strong. Aleec Harris, former J.C. champion comes back in the 110HH. Not sure who will run 400IH.

Marquise Lee will probably opt for the NFL so Jovante Slater also hurt some last year will be the LJ with help from Fajoyomi. Pole Vault is generally not going to be stong barring someone new enrolling. Triple jump not sure who will handle.

Shot and discus as well as javelin I'm not sure about.

Hammer throw is also a strong event Daniel Szabo returning from double hip surgery in 2012. Also back is Remy Conatser who is very good.

This assumes all under classmen return this season.

5. WJW39

WJW39 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013

trackdude:

I'm really concerned now. I just checked the USC Official Website. They now have the 2014 U.S.C. Men's Track & Field Roster as well as the 2013 Men's Track & Field Seasons Best Marks list on it. I checked them against T&F News 2013 High School Best Marks list and their T&F News N.C.A.A. Outdoor Championship Issue. I didn't see much that was very encouraging. Only one of the Freshmen on the USC 2014 Roster is listed in the top 25 marks in their event. That's Alex Rohani who was the 13th fastest H.S. 400m runner in the U.S. And the only 2013 N.C.A.A. placers returning for U.S.C. are Aaron Brown in the sprints and Remy Conatser in the Hammer.

USC missed out on some of the best 2013 Southern California high schoolers like Khufanni Muhammed and Miles Simon in the sprints. And the USC varsity lost high placers in Bryson Nellums and Reggie Wyatt. There are a couple of other athletes that return that are outside chances at best to score any points in the N.C.A.A. this year. Lee and Stewart might help in the 4 X 100m relay, Andrews in the 800m and Harris in the High Hurdles are the remote possibilities. Possibly the one one that may stand a better chance of scoring some points if he's on is Szabo in the Hammer.

Let's hope the Trojans can land some high school or transfer tracksters coming in for the spring semester since I don't forsee much for 2014 uness they do. And its even more important to bring in a strong recruiting class for 2015 since Brown and Conatser will be gone after the 2014 season. The new coach has to deliver this year. So far the only recruit I've heard verbally commit to U.S.C. for 2014 is Marquise Morris a pretty good hurdler from De La Salle H.S. in Concord. Hopefully Adoree Jackson from Serra H.S. in Carson will become a Trojan and be allowed to run track (I've heard that's one of the conditions he's put on his recruitment). We will see if they and others will come. They are definitely needed.

WJW39

6. WJW39

WJW39 Junior Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Thanks for your input trackdude! For whatever reason it seems like you and I may be the only ones on this messageboard interested in U.S.C. track and field. My interest goes back to the 20's when my dad was an unlettered, freshman discus thrower and his cousin Spencer (?) Boelter a letterman on the USC varsity. I competed in H.S. track in the mid 50's and I had hoped (prayed) to get a USC track scholarship as a high jumper. Unfortunately I came down with mono my senior year and my main competitor, a guy named Bobby Avant, ended up California State H.S. Champion and got the scholarship I wanted and became the second 7' high jumper at USC and an NCAA Champion.

I appreciate your helping me connect with coach Allice when I wanted to contribute my 50+ years collection of Track and Field News to USC. After that Coach Allice surprised me when he said that Peter Dalland, the famous USC swim coach, had contributed the first 10 years issues of T&F New!. I was really impressed with the collection of USC track historical media coach Allice had collected. I hope others have an opportunity to see all this great historical data and realize what a great tradition USC has in track and field. Hopefully we will someday see a resurgence of the Trojans t&f glory. Thank you again Coach Allice. I hope your retirement goes as good as mine has!

I still have to wait and see if this new coaching staff will do the job I want it to do. I realize it is difficult given the current NZAA resritctions (yes, I did say NZAA). I also realize there is a significant drop in track popularity in Southern California vs. the 50's and 60's. It has resulted in more athletes gravitating toward football, basketball, baseball and soccer which have higher paying salary professional teams. This has obviosly diluted the number of our potential athletes specializing in track. But still we need to compete in recruiting the best, whether they be from California, the USA or internationally. We shall see what the new coaching staff can produce. Hopefull the best!

Thanks again for your Trojan support of Track and Field. :rockon:

FIGHT ON!

WJW39

7. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks WJW. I'm looking forward to the season, I think the team will have some transitioning to do, but could surprise us. Those T&FN issues were helpful as I was able to use them doing some of my research. Thanx!! I did HS track in the late 60s (shot put) and eventually ended up at Cal Poly Pomona durin Ron's first college gig.

8. WJW39

WJW39 Junior Member

Jan 3, 2014
    trackdude: See the thread on Trojan Huddlere: Randall Cunningham II! Looks like she's finally moving out. Good start. Uncle Sam "Bam" Cunningham was an excellent H.S. Shpt Putter and Hurdler at Santa Barbara H.S. back in the day! Wonder if RC II might be more than just an excellent High Jumper. Just asking!!!! :thumb: :rockon::welcome: RC II

WJW39

9. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Hmmm, makes me wonder if there's some track members not returning. We already had 3 HJers, so recruiting a 4th doesn't make sense, unless someone isn't returning.