Max's parting gift....$7.6M

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by uscvball, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Max's parting gift....$7.6M
    uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 16, 2020
    "When C.L. Max Nikias was ousted as president of USC amid a sex abuse scandal involving a one-time campus gynecologist, the university’s trustees sent him off with a compensation package that exceeded $7.6 million, according to newly released tax filings....

The filings made public by the university this week cover the 2019 fiscal year, a period during which Nikias served just 38 days as president.

Nikias separately received a $3-million loan from the university to purchase a Manhattan Beach home formerly owned by ESPN personality Colin Cowherd.

Nikias, who remains a USC professor and a lifetime trustee, could not immediately be reached for comment. But the revelations immediately sparked debate.

Diane Ghirardo, an architecture professor and historian who has taught at USC since 1984, called Nikias’ exit package “scandalous,” “disgusting” and “beyond belief.” Ghirardo, who is also a member of Concerned Faculty of USC, rejected the notion that the multimillion-dollar award was necessary to turn the page on his tenure as president, saying it displayed a total disregard for accountability.

“You fire him,” she said. “If he doesn’t resign, you fire him and you’ve got grounds for firing him.”
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/usc-paid-former-president-max-nikias-more-than-dollar76-million-in-exit-package/ar-BB16PRiZ?li=BBnb7Kz

Still a professor. USC has no business telling it's alums where to donate money when they can't bother to remove this piece of shit from campus.

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 16, 2020
    Think I just threw up. Reward for hiding sex criminal.

Islander 4 USC and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. USCSAE

USCSAE Points Member

Jul 16, 2020
    Vball, even with everything going on, I never understood how it was possible for you to fall out of love with SC, but sadly I’m finally at the point where I am starting to get it.

My daughter was accepted in the Spring, but she has chosen to attend SMU in the fall instead. SMU over SC... WTF! And at any other point in time, I would have absolutely refused to pay for any other school with SC as an option (I think I’m serious, but I’m sure my wife would have other thoughts), but now I don’t think it is worth fighting over. 3rd generation Trojan, but that ends here I guess.

I hate Max and what happened to our school under his tenure.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 16, 2020
    It took me awhile to get there but it started when Mike Garrett revoked the "Life Member" status from former Trojan athletes. As you can see, the name clearly indicates they were meant to receive certain benefits for "life"....which weren't free. But Garrett revoked that around 2003 when football started to excel under PC. My dad was one of those former life members and he was pissed and hurt. My dad had 4 football season tickets, 2 each in 2 different places, one set which were his faculty seats. During that same time period around 2003-04, USC forced booster status on one set of his tickets and moved his other set to the nosebleed area. He ultimately gave up his faculty seats. And then it was one series of blunders after the other with Ron Orr and the Athletic Department and then came the snactions, the horrible hires across the board, and the PSL's. I ended my athletic sponsorship at that time. After the Puliafito story came out, I stopped my giving altogether and USC hasn't proven me wrong since. Sad, sad, sad.

5. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Jul 16, 2020
    he should, he buried them all...

gubo&palanka and KeenObserver like this.
  6. crank31

crank31 Junior Member

Jul 16, 2020
    Caruso is dirty too....definitely a country club culture. Recall how Caruso’s kids and admitted elitist students through the athletic fraud scheme were on Caruso yacht when the indictments were filed? The Trustees need a come with Jesus moment and remove the toxic people ruining our precious university.

7. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Jul 17, 2020
    When I read the title of this thread, I assumed that Max had finally stepped away from USC, but not before making a 7.6 million dollar gift BACK to the University. I should have known better. That POS took millions more. The collective idiots and criminals who run the University gifted him that money, completely undeserved.

I will NEVER give another penny to USC as long as I live. Never.

8. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

Jul 17, 2020
    Seems pretty similar to the types of packages that CEO's get all the time when let go before their contract is up in a private business. The board would not want to go to court to prove cause so they exercised their at will option and had to pay. They had some interesting ways to goose his salary like 194K per for his wife to be first lady and a awarding him 1.5 million "bonus".
    Sad but not surprising,especially when considering the payouts that schools have to pay football coaches when they are fired before their contracts are up.
    One can only hope they learned something but that is highly doubtful.

9. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 17, 2020
    Max packed the BOT over the years with his cronies. . Suspect the BOT knew about rogue MD .

10. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Jul 18, 2020
    Maxy wakes up in the morning and is able to look at himself in the mirror after knowingly covering for a sexual predator who abused hundreds, if not thousands, of female Trojans.

Maxy has 0 shame.

11. redondob

redondob Junior Member

Jul 18, 2020
    Max should have been fired and kicked off the BOT. Just remember Caruso, Austin, and Folt are just as bad. They all need to go.

Trojack likes this.
  12. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jul 18, 2020
    Smart young lady. Can't say I blame her. People are leaving the State in general. Drive down Skid row and see if this is the same State it was back in 1980? I worked in that area and now I wouldn't stop there to use the bathroom. Ironically its just a short ride away from the USC campus.

https://calmatters.org/california-divide/2020/01/not-the-golden-state-anymore-middle-and-low-income-people-leaving-california/

13. Georgetirebiter IV

Georgetirebiter IV Points Member

Jul 18, 2020
    My question is how much of this was deferred payments owed and other contractual obligations. Payment of obligations is different than voluntary payments. I’m presuming they were mostly mandatory.

14. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jul 18, 2020
    When were you a SAE?

15. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jul 18, 2020
    I've always said we were a much kinder organization before Sample started taking in the mega money and getting us ranked. Also teaching there part-time gave me a glimpse into what made them tick which made it easier for me to pull away.

16. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 18, 2020
    When Sample introduced PBL and required it across disciplines, that's when my dad first started to pull away. He was a teacher in the dental school and PBL had no business in teaching effective dentistry.

17. USCSAE

USCSAE Points Member

Jul 19, 2020
    86-90

18. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Jul 19, 2020
    I agree 100%. Stuff like this makes USC a joke of an institution. The fact that this guy enabled a predator to prey on hundreds of victims, and is rewarded like this is appalling. Since Nikias started as President, I find it hard to be proud of anything USC has done. Seems like since he got started, there has been nothing but negative press and consistent neglect of the non-mega-donor Trojan Family.

Troy70 likes this.