Matt Boling Blazes 9.98 100M - Sets HS Record

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by SoCalN8tiv, Apr 28, 2019.

1. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

May 4, 2019
    Great two-fer with Michael Johnson breaking down Bolt's technique...Unbelievably, with a more sound technique Bolt could have gone even faster. Interesting critique about Bolts oblique leg angle at the start to compare with FloJo's in the video above. The old adage of whip from the hip can be seen showcased here with the greats of sprinting.

2. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    Well alright, the latest breakdown of Matt Boling's running mechanics. As expected, and as I mentioned about Boling's contact time being impressive, it's confirmed here in this video he has the same contact time as Usain Bolt at .08. That's very impressive. Note the great mechanics with knees together (aligned) when he contacts the ground; leg straight for a great pull step and whips the hips. I agree his transition time needs some work but for a tall sprinter it's not too shabby. Room for improvement can mean faster times. Enjoy the video!

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  3. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    Michael gives clarity to his upright running style plus the importance of breaking through mental barriers from generation to generation to go faster. Enjoy!

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    Just came across this.....

James Fritz‏ @jimfritzlax
    91 % of this year's NFL draft picks played multiple sports in high school. Explain to me again why we listen to club/youth coaches who say you need to specialize in 1 sport?

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  5. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

May 9, 2019
    Boling easily holds off challenger and anchors 4x400 relay to win...

Boling runs down the leaders in 4x100 with impressive anchor leg win at the tape.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  6. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

May 11, 2019
    The latest...
    Boling still Roling: Flashes to 10:13sec 100m wind legal National Record and breaks Texas state record, according to video coverage...and...he easily demolishes the field again!

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  7. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

May 12, 2019
    Wowzers! Fans brought to their feet as Matt Boling who was three seconds behind runs a 44.74 seconds fastest time in the nation anchor leg to win the 4x400 relay in spectacular fashion!

8. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

May 12, 2019
    Literally, an interesting side note to Matt Boling's run...The other guy having a great year in Texas...

AUSTIN — Harlingen High sprinter Jose Garcia spent the season running his way into the Rio Grande Valley and Region IV-6A record books.

As a reward, Garcia lined up next to Houston Strake Jesuit’s Matthew Boling, the national record holder in the 100-meter dash at the Class 6A state meet.

“Before the race, I was feeling great. I really wanted to run,” Garcia said. “Now that I was here racing, I knew I was going to race against (Boling). It was an honor knowing I was running against him because that was my wish after regionals.”

Garcia got out of the blocks fast, but his body did not cooperate as tightness in his left hamstring 50 meters into the race hindered his momentum and ultimately led to a ninth-place finish in 10.75 seconds Saturday night at the University of Texas’ Mike A. Meyers Stadium.

“I feel the race was all right,” he said. “Getting into the blocks, I felt a little bloom behind my hamstring, but I felt I was going to ignore it because I really wanted to run this race next to (Boling). My leg just didn’t want to towards the middle 50 yards.”

The time was a far cry from his RGV record 10.30 and his state qualifying time and Region-IV meet record 10.43.

Though disappointing, the 100-meter dash was touted as one of the must-see races of the night after Boling made national headlines two weeks ago when he ran a 9.98 at the Region III-6A meet to set the national high school record.

It was enough for Garcia to relish and use as motivation.

[​IMG]

9. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Matt Boling steals the race down the last 40 meters! Ha!