Marlon Tuipulotu

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by bestlakersfan, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Marlon Tuipulotu
    bestlakersfan

bestlakersfan Junior Member

Jan 22, 2017
    This guy absolutely the real deal. He was one of the guys that UW had that I had no idea why we weren't on him or in it for him. Well, stealthily, the USC coaches kicked some @ss and put us in a position in which he will be in C&G. As such, major, major props to them on this, particularly to coach Nansen. This is the second year Coach JN has done this. Last year, we flipped Vavae in the 11th hour and he is back at it this year with Marlon.

Watching tape of this guy, particularly in the Nike Camps, The Opening and the AA game, he completely stood out for me. He is a true definition of a bulldog and is the exact type of player we needed in this class. His burst, power and just grinder attitude is fantastic. He has good technique, but still has room to grow in that. I think he is a PERFECT fit as a DT in Clancy's 5-2 base. Eventually, he may grow into a NT, but for now, this kid will make an impact next year, which is a lot to say since we aren't that thin at DT. I think so highly of this kid that I think he is underrated as a high 4-star. I love Jay Tufele a ton, but still like Marlon more.

We should be ecstatic. Fight On!

Here are some clips of him in action:

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3208424/5837cd995b3cb00064f89c78
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM4dgNiSaHk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rMslxaVr4

2. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I hope this comes to fruition....We need big guys that can come in and challenge for early PT... He is Washington highest rated player.

What are the odds of a clean sweep and getting Jay too?

3. TrojanMike

TrojanMike Junior Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Can anyone elaborate why we're so confident he's going to flip? The sentiment on the board is that he and Tufele are locks, but so was Darnay Holmes two weeks ago. Taking nothing for granted until NSD.

4. Daygoboy6191

Daygoboy6191 Junior Member

Jan 22, 2017

From everything I read Darnay was a lock until daddy had a total meltdown.

IDK if what I'm reading on Marlon is true, but if he locks it in you can count on Tufele doing the same.

5. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Those are on totally different ends of the extreme.

6. bestlakersfan

Jan 22, 2017
    Mike, I think the best thing I can say is the way that all of this went down with him seems to point to a commitment. The staff handled this so covertly and got him to come down so sneakily that this wasn't for an OV, it was for a commitment. The kid, his family, the USC staff all kept this under wraps so that there wouldn't be unnecessary pressure and focus on him. IMO, that only comes when a kid is "sold" on going somewhere else.

Also, most of the UW insiders seem to have waved the white flag, not today, but on Thursday when the news of his surprise visit came. Just my opinion. Hope that helps.

7. Trojanproud1

Trojanproud1 Junior Member

Jan 22, 2017
    If Marlon is starting classes tomorrow, shouldn't we hear something soon?

8. bestlakersfan

Jan 22, 2017
    Per USC's website, the 27th is the last day to register/add/drop classes. Looks like he will have until Friday, though I'm sure he'll start earlier.

http://arr.usc.edu/calendar/

9. ghjlakers

ghjlakers Junior Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I believe he has been removed as a commitment from the Washington list of committed players

10. USCVel

USCVel Junior Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Best, do you think Tufele is in too? And, if so, should we assume the DL recruiting is done with Tufele, Marlon, Pili, Lang, Echols and Lichtenstein or do you see more movement? Can't imagine we would take more than 6 and am a bit surprised we are taking that many. I thought the number would be 5. Also heard some rumblings that we are still in it for DJ Johnson but that may just be wishful thinking.

11. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Come on down!

12. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jan 22, 2017

For me:

-- He went on an official visit as a UW commit....which is against Coach Petersen's rule and would cause his offer to be piulled
    -- He was secretive and told none of those coaches. (by reports)
    -- He declined to meet with the DLine coach who was scurrying back from Hawaii to talk
    -- He came on the USC official visit
    -- He is big friends with Tufele
    -- They balled out together at the AA Game...and no doubt talked
    -- He and Tufele visited on the same weekend
    -- He reportedly brought his parents, too
    -- There's only a week and a half left til LOI Day

So, he basically burned bridges with UW....barring major azzkissing and a repeal of the HC's rule....and he's here at 'SC with his parents and good friend. With 1.5 weeks to go. At a huge position of need.

He's IN.

Tufele's not going to hang his bro out to dry. IN, too.

13. bestlakersfan

Jan 22, 2017
    No clue if Jay is in. But, it does weigh heavy that Utah is his last OV. From all indications and report from the Army AA game, him and Marlon seemed to have really, really hit it off and mentioned that they want to play together in college, but "package deals" rarely carry any true weight. We will see what happens.

As far a DJ Johnson, I mentioned awhile back that we were in a good place for him and still think we can be if there is room. I think that as we approach NSD, he is realizing how far Miami is from home and prefers playing somewhat closer, especially so his parents can watch him play.

I agree, 5 seems to be the right number for DL this year.

14. HelixTrojan

HelixTrojan Junior Member

Jan 22, 2017

The simple answer . . . no one can.

It is simply the temperature of the day.

The mood swings on the Board have been epic . . . but right in line with what normally happens.

After weeks of complaining that SC was losing out on recruits, not aiming high enough in its pursuit of blue chippers, and settling for lower priority guys, and believing the
    internet and social media chatter . . .

. . . all of a sudden . . . EUREKA! . . . the coaches were actually making phone calls and contacting top priority recruits after all.

SIGH.

SC has done the same thing every year . . . for decades.

Western based blue chippers (and even the non-blue chippers) like to take their time, travel and visit schools before making their decision later in the process.

SC knows to wait . . . keep in contact . . . and make their move.

It's amazing that folks think that what they can see written by analysts, rumored on the Boards, and said by the recruits is the ONLY thing going on.

The Trojans have been in great position for a long time.

Only now are folks beginning to realize that.

And it's crazy cuz the same thing just happened 11 months ago.

The Trojans won't get everybody, but they'll get who they need.

Right now, SC sits in great position for a number of high priority blue chippers

But it is the blue chippers who have ?final say.

15. HelixTrojan

Jan 22, 2017
    Not all of those guys are coming . . . it won't be (6).

16. Trojanproud1

Trojanproud1 Junior Member

Jan 22, 2017
    It sure looks good. You just got to hope that Harbaugh doesn't show up driving a go cart in his pajamas.

17. LeftCoastTrojan7

LeftCoastTrojan7 Junior Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Tell you what the UW board is full of posters saying Nansen blew it and lost Marlon.

That place is a swamp.

18. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Just curious, were the fans having epic meltdowns correct that we had inferior talent committed and it wasn't a typical SC class? Were these silly ''folks'' correct that we aimed low initially and we'd either sign an underwhelming class...or there'd be carnage from lower-rated recruits being kicked to the curb?

Were folks correct in drawing conclusions based on astrology and saying we could do better?

All this in the face of ''folks'' telling us the coaches got who they wanted and we silly star gazers didn't have a clue. Well, here's the cost of that underwhelming initial class:
    • James Lynch
    • CJ Miller
    • Juwan Burgess
    • Wylan Free
    • Marlon Williams
    Feels like I'm leaving someone out.

Is it funny how all these expendable (yet previously considered ''gems'' that the coaches wanted) line up with the astrology?. Perhaps we were on to something after all? Nah, we're rubes that just started following fball in the last couple years and praying to our astrology bible.

19. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 23, 2017
    You miss the overall point that

There are always things being done behind the scenes and the class looks much different in the last month than in the previous 11.

Helix has been consistent.

20. billtrojan

billtrojan Junior Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Bingo nvargas, thanks for bringing this up. I'm totally with you on this and it bears repeating so we don't get all the "stars don't matter" threads

Stars absolutely do matter and the coaches know it with all of these last minute shuffling they're doing. Or if you don't want to use the term "stars", then "level of talent" matters. There's no doubt that coaching is vitally important but you're going to have to coach 3 stars or 4/5 stars either way, why not just coach the higher talent players and increase your chances of succeeding? There's a reason Clay and team nudged out the early recruits you mentioned above in favor of the higher ranked guys like Pola-Mao, Tufele, Tuipolutu, Lewis, Greg Johnson, etc. These guys are just simply better.

Forget all the quotes from Northwestern or whatever 3rd tier school coaches on why they don't care about stars. The only reason they don't "care" is because they can't bring in the big stars at the schools they're at. Put the Northwestern coach at Alabama or Ohio St, you think he's still going to say stars don't matter and the fans will be ok with him bringing in 2 and 3 star players?

This 2017 recruiting class can be summed up as BSD and ASD, Before Sam Darnold and After Sam Darnold. BSD, we were 1-3 and no top recruits wanted to come on board. So the coaches did the smart thing and went after the best talent they could get to commit so we could fill bodies. But once Sam lit it up, our pool of interested recruits went gangbusters and the coaches rightfully changed their gameplan because "level of talent" matters. I'm glad Clay is not Mr. Nice Guy all the time and has the balls to nudge out the lower tier recruits, this is part of Clay's learning curve in his coaching career.

21. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 23, 2017
    Helix has literally never said "stars" don't matter.

I'm pretty sure his sentiments are always the same.

22. HelixTrojan

Jan 23, 2017

Nope.

SC's recruiting game plan was not changed mid-stream because SC started doing well after September.

Guys like Joseph Lewis, Jay Tufele, and Isaiah Pola-Mao have been recruited for nearly two years, and have always had a spot in this recruiting class if they wanted it.

Those prospects just weren't going to verbally commit early . . . like most Western based blue chip recruits.

SC's commit list in August or September is NEVER going to look like it will in January or February.

Coach Helton is not new to this . . . nor is it part of his learning curve.

Helton was on SC's staff for 3 or 4 years before becoming permanent HC, and knows that it's all about closing late . . . not early.

If you doubt that . . . check out what he did in the last month of recruiting and on signing day last year . . . under much tougher circumstances.

If you really think stars matter to coaches . . . why has SC gone after DT Brandon Pili, CB JQ Godfrey and OL Jalen McKenzie so aggressively when those prospects are also so called 3 star players?

The decision to recruit those guys was and is not a star-based decision.

And the fact is, that if you watched some of the so called 3 star prospects who are no longer a part of this class on film or checked their scholie offer lists - like WR Marlon Williams or CB Juwan Burgess - you know they are really good prospects.

What you see is the Trojans MAKING ROOM for other prospects at different positions of need, not just for prospects they think are better.

A lot of time is spent in March thru December debating posters who:

* are worried SC has too many 3 star recruits

* are concerned the coaches are not recruiting who they should be

* think that SC is out of the race for blue chip recruits at certain positions by AUGUST

* don't believe or understand the concept of silent commits - even though they are a part of
    EVERY recruiting class

And that's useless hand-wringing.

Because since I've been following SC recruiting since the late 1980's . . . the same thing happens every year.

In the overwhelming majority of seasons . . . SC closes the deal late . . . and they close very well.

23. reaLchaZZZy

reaLchaZZZy Junior Member

Jan 23, 2017

Quit posting for awhile.
    You'll feel better. =)

24. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Got to have the players, SC recruiting Mo is huge, now we have to build the best team. Our staff is closing.

25. USCVel

USCVel Junior Member

Jan 23, 2017

26. cwoody

cwoody Junior Member

Jan 23, 2017
    All of this is so mindful of a conversation I had with someone here in October who was concerned that our class (in October) was not looking very well. I asked at the time if they had a commit list from October of last year from whence to compare and none was forthcoming.
    So here we are about a week from LOI day and there is still the conversation about how strong or weak this class is, so I ask: Does anyone have a commit list from a week before signing day last year?

Anyone?

27. HelixTrojan

Jan 23, 2017
    Duplicate post.

28. HelixTrojan

Jan 23, 2017
    Duplicate post.

29. HelixTrojan

Jan 23, 2017
    Sorry folks . . . my computer went nuts and posted the same thing multiple times.

30. reaLchaZZZy

reaLchaZZZy Junior Member

Jan 23, 2017

^^This^^

31. Daygoboy6191

Daygoboy6191 Junior Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Project Flip Completed!!

32. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Hey Vargas. I respect you but I will say this..

Why don't you apply for a director of Recruiting and Scouting position. Maybe you can show T Martin and Clay Helton how it's done.

33. guboamppalanka

guboamppalanka Junior Member

Jan 23, 2017

It's a good thing the coaches finally decided to put down the bhongs and get off the couches and make some calls!

34. USCFan1991

USCFan1991 Junior Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Agree 100% with OP
    Watching Marlon, I see something that I usually only see out of the kids Utah is able to bring in consistently - 100% effort and an endless motor
    Except this isn't a Utah level athlete, Marlon is listed as the 12th best player in the country by 247sports, he's that good
    The fact that he looks this explosive as a 292 pound 18 year old is amazing, give him some time to add good weight and he'll be a big force on the interior

35. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Stars don't matter.

What matters is if the commit has been evaluated, not only for talent, but to fill a position of need, drive to get better, and ability to live up to academic and character standards. I like what I'm seeing from our commits and our staff.

CJ Miller would have been a great recruit, but academics got him. Prime example.

36. HelixTrojan

Jan 23, 2017
    . . . Helix does give the same just wait and see speech..

- Cardinal & Gold

Ha!

As if we have any other choice in the matter . . . but to wait and see.

So we have waited . . . and we have seen.

There was, yet again, a plan in place.

So does ANYONE ELSE . . . besides me . . . like what they are seeing right now?

37. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Definition of an expert: A drip under pressure

Everyone is a recruiting expert...