Make room for another trophy in Heritage Hall!

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by KnightsWhoSayNi, Sep 23, 2019.

1. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Too deep for you? Im sorry

CCTrojans likes this.
  2. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Oh yeah - That was super deep....

3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I'm not sure how discussing football at work is related to cheapening one's degree. As far as I'm concerned the only thing that has cheapened my degree have been the scandals. And even then it had nothing to do with when I earned my degree, my own ability on the job, and all the connections I have been able to make as a result of that degree.

Being able to talk college football and discuss the football tradition at USC has in fact played an indirect role in my career.

As for the academic reputation, I had a text exchange sometime back with another alum who had a similar mindset and these were his thoughts....

"That’s how I felt about SC when I went there. We weren’t Harvard and I didn’t care that we weren’t. We were still a pretty good school and we produced well rounded graduates who generally went out and succeeded in the world, and we played some damn good football."

4. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Bullshit. The value of that degree is what you put into it and what you got out of it. I attended USC at a time (1968-1975) when it was considered, at best, a very good regional university with pockets of excellence in the arts and health sciences, and I NEVER felt cheated because it was never used in the same sentence with the Ivys, Stanfords, Vanderbilts, or Dukes of the world. The problem that USC created for the older alumni such as myself was that once our status (whatever that means) started rising in the late 90s, the new mantra became "give us money because we increased the value of your degree" as if I spent 7 years just sort of shuffling my feet in sand. Nikias raised that crap to a fine art as he began coursing the country making fundraising speeches using that same mantra. And now the newest mantra...if we try to hit a home run in football again, we have to sacrifice something on the other end. We were a much nicer place to be when we were dumb and poor.

SCBIGTIME, uscvball and dp4life like this.
  5. trojan raul

trojan raul Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    So, having a powerful football program that wins and brings in Heismans and Nattys, graduates and sends kids to the NFL, adds to our All-American list...what does that have to do with anything else...scandals and all the rest? Nothing. It is its own island. But that level of success on the football field will bring in a great deal of attention, media coverage, accolades and will raise our admissions numbers. People keep bringing up the scandals. One thing doesn't necessarily correlate with the other. Doesn't matter and shouldn't matter when it comes to the football program. And this 'running scared' mentality needs to go. Stop being the NCAA's bitch.

6. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Then give him a counter argument or your response is weak.

CCTrojans likes this.
  7. KeenObserver

Sep 24, 2019
    Abso freakin lutely

I’ve been saying this for years. People don’t realize the impact of the early CPC years on TV had on kids attraction to the university. I always said Academics initially brings people to the university, football keeps em coming back.

8. KeenObserver

Sep 24, 2019
    Trojack, Raul and veebs have it covered. No need to be redundant.

9. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I graduated in 2004 and I wholly enjoyed the CPC years. But I had never been to a football game before I got to campus. I didn't go to USC for the football.

Whenever I hear a fan of USC wishing we were more like F***ING ALABAMA, I know right then that that person and myself will never agree on our priorities.

Having witnessed Pete Carroll firsthand, I know Helton is not going to be remembered as a great coach. But whatever. He's also not drunk on the sidelines. USC has to get its ducks in a row and then we can worry about football. I'm confident that we'll get there. The AD search is underway. We'll hopefully finally hire someone qualified. Then we can look at the football coach. But I'm sure as hell not asking that he be fired this weekend.

10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I didn't go for it's great academics (we weren't exactly top 25 at the time) but I did go in part because USC football had been a part of my life my entire life. Yes, it mattered to me.

Personally, I wouldn't express it that way. I'd like to have a full commitment to football the way Clemson, Bama, UGA, Ohio State, Oklahoma do. USC used to promote and support football to an extent we haven't seen in awhile. I'm not sure we ever will again so in that context, yes, it must be nice to be a Bama football fan.

Not sure who is in charge of the duck pond these days but that, of course, is reflected everywhere, including on the field.

11. KeenObserver

Sep 24, 2019
    First of all Alabama is dramatically improving as an academic institution, and is not currently riddled with scandal and corruption, so all of this bagging on Bama as an institution is the same shit Cal, Stanford and ugly used to do to us.

The student body and alumni experience is intricately linked to the overall college culture, not just academics. Football is a flagship sporting event and a rallying point for school pride and alumni support. It is not either/ or.

The drunk in the sidelines comment pertains to one coach- Sark. As Lane and Helton proved, there is no one single path to incompetence.

While yes, the school needs to get it priorities in check, but would be the easiest and most effective way to rally support. Win on the field. Get a coach we can all believe in. It’s midnight and Heltons stagecoach has been a pumpkin since about 3:30

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  12. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Does it come with a free Chick-Fil-A sandwich? That would be worth something.

Mmmm . . . sandwich.

13. KnightsWhoSayNi

KnightsWhoSayNi Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    In light of CCH earning such a prestigious award, the coveted Dodd Trophy Coach of The Week Sponsored by Chic Fil A and AutoZone, I started considering Clay’s proper role in the tapestry of sports (clearly not HC)...

It dawned on me. He needs an immediate promotion from Coach Helton to an important administrative role in Heritage Hall under the new athletic director to be named shortly;

A role in which Clay’s clearly demonstrated off the field skillset of politicking, gladhanding, and platitude filled press conferences can be maximized...

Introducing...
    Clay Helton, Associate Athletic Director and Liaison to President and BOT, and Special Emissary to the NCAA.

Trojack likes this.
  14. August West

August West Points Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Take it to the Academics dont pay the bills board.

15. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I suggested this scenario in another thread, but oldscotty said that this won't happen.

16. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    You can please some of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but...

17. 559er

559er Junior Member

Sep 25, 2019
    Faith
    Family
    Free chicken sandwich
    Football

18. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Sep 25, 2019
    Faithful
    Scholarly