Major positive news for Pac-12 fall season in a statement from Larry Scott

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 16, 2020.

2. billsb1970

billsb1970 Junior Member

Sep 16, 2020
    The problem is getting both LA City and County health officials on the same page. Protocols or lack thereof are being followed or not followed and cases are increasing or decreasing. The Universities should be looked at independently as a small community.

Troy70 likes this.
  3. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Players want to play, football fans want to see games, NFL games are happening in California, the rest of the country is playing college football. I like to believe the politicians won’t want to be the bad guys in this case. I am hopeful. There may not be any fans in stadiums but no good excuses to prevent practices or games. Let them play!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Will Garcetti & his Health MD Ferrar ok team practices? He sounded gloomy on Ch 7 just now saying hospital cases down & death rate down.

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  5. prescottbear

prescottbear Member

Sep 16, 2020
    The PAC 12 is the ONLY. major conference without a season so get on it Larry Scott and schools.

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  6. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Sep 16, 2020
    If we are relying on those two Asshats to do the right thing we are in real trouble.How those two are in souch positions of power is scary.

7. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Sep 16, 2020
    LMAO

8. TMBEE64

TMBEE64 Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Ferrer is NOT an MD. She has a PhD in Social Welfare and acts like it.

9. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Sep 16, 2020
    Yes

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  10. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Sep 16, 2020
    which means she’s a social justice warrior and has no idea of the economic impact of her decisions.

11. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Sep 16, 2020
    I call this phenomenon the disaster letdown syndrome. This happens when their big news story doesn't deliver the blood, gore, and death those ghouls beg for nightly. It also happens during hurricane season when news anchors turn into creepy red-eyed monsters with saliva dripping out of their mouths as they have an orgasm when saying, "200 mph winds, death and destruction expected everywhere!" Then when the hurricane is relegated to a tropical storm they sound depressed and disappointed. That's what we're seeing now around the country as the CoViD19 hysteria they deliberately caused with sensationalized stories wanes daily. Yep, the ghouls are disappointed that their sick fear mongering party is coming to an end. We can apply this syndrome to our city leaders who don't want to give up their control over the people. May they all burn in hell.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  12. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Politics driving the football shutdown. Public health has become all political and not much science.

Should USC go independent and just play? Just threatening it would give USC leverage. It's not like O St and Wash St bring in much revenue to the conference.

We should revisit the concept of a super conference with no scholarship limits. Let the players be paid. The TV contract would be HUGE.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  13. KiwiSCfan

KiwiSCfan Points Member

Sep 17, 2020
    Ok Erik, spitballing here...

1) Say the Pac12 ‘negotiates’ a Nov 7 start.
    Would that mean USC playing their 5 division opponents only (with a week of fat built in), then following a similar model to Big10 and squaring off against the same ranked finisher from the other conference division on Dec 19, to decide the conference champ (as well as the remaining 2-12 placings)? This at least would give each team 6 games and set them up for a bowl game too.

2) If the Pac (If) was to start a week or 2 sooner (wishful thinking), how would they choose the cross-division opponent(s) to fill out the slate/extra weeks? Playing Oregon at Autzen even without fans vs playing Oregon State at Beaverland are 2 very different propositions...

Based on their track record I have a nagging feeling that even if option 2 was possible/achievable, that our genius Pac12 brass would default to option 1 because it’s the easy way out.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  14. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Sep 17, 2020
    I have absolutely no answer to what they'll wind up doing, but I would hope they explore every option to get as many games in as possible. The Big 10 model of playing that extra game is certainly something the Pac-12 would consider if they can only get a five-game schedule organized.

If they can get to a seven game schedule (Oct. 31 start date) -- I could see the California teams playing each other, and then the Arizona teams playing Oregon teams and Mountain teams playing Washington teams, or vice versa. Of course, it would be very Pac-12 to have Oregon, USC, Washington and Arizona State in some kind of four-way regular season round robin.

15. KiwiSCfan

KiwiSCfan Points Member

Sep 17, 2020
    Thanks Erik, it’s a pleasant surprise to even be having these conversations given where the conference of champions was just 3 days ago. Despite what could’ve/should’ve been done sooner by the Pac12, I’ll take a 6 or 7 game sked at this point.

One more question....ARSB for Governor?

Rodgarnay51 and in2nation like this.
  16. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Sep 17, 2020
    Apologies if this sounds OT, but my takeaway here when people start pushing back, Ohio State, Nebraska fans and parents, the politicians (and those who act like politicians) start to cave.

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  17. mattinNYC

mattinNYC Points Member

Sep 17, 2020
    NOTHING has changed when it comes to the data...the science....as some of these idiot leaders like to talk about. What changed is peer pressure, greed, and envy. The big 10 and pac-12 got a look at what other schools were doing, that other schools were playing on national tv, and now they want back in. I personally believe Trump was the one that pushed the big 10 over the edge. Think what you want. Those are swing states. And he knows most "real people" want their football back and don't believe the covid cure should be worse than covid itself...

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  18. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 17, 2020
    Great post!

Funny how the science and the local and state government decrees change so fast. It must be all about "the kids getting back on the field to fulfill their dreams."

Right ...

$$$

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  19. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Sep 17, 2020
    Not sure about the Trump thing but it certainly didn't hurt. The pushback came from a lot of groups. I am very surprised this has gotten this far--I predicted no CFB for anyone and stand humbly corrected. Now let's see what local health officials do, but color me skeptical. Hope I'm wrong...again.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.