Looks like the SEC has taken over another former sport USC once dominated

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by RDTK, May 26, 2019.

2. FTFO33

FTFO33 Junior Member

May 26, 2019
  3. RDTK

RDTK Points Member

May 26, 2019
    Are you kidding? USC used to own college baseball. No program was even close.

4. Troy21511

Troy21511 Junior Member

May 26, 2019
    Yes I remember telling a bruin fool I used to work with.You Guys own basketball, We own baseball..Now Lets talk Football..Thats when the fool left the Conversation.Lol

Islander 4 USC likes this.
  5. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    May 27, 2019
    Hurts to read this. These are historically lean times for the "big three" of USC athletics. Not much going for any of these programs right now.

Hubbs is optimistic about next year.

Enfield has another stacked team and we are again hearing Wait till next year,

Clay is angry and wants to play Fresno State next Saturday.

Oh, brother.

6. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

May 27, 2019
    Rip Van Winkle New Flash. We've been talking about the baseball drought for at least 15 years.

Rod Dedeaux had a great run which established USC as a powerhouse. But his last NC was 1978. Then what? We've had one NC in 40 years...1998

... and LSU won the the two national championships before that one (96 & 97) ...so really SEC baseball is nothing new.

7. FTFO33

FTFO33 Junior Member

May 28, 2019
    Wow, I wasn't aware of USC owning college baseball! Please tell me more!

I was saying, in this order, this isn't a new issue, SEC doing well in baseball certainly isn't new either and the inefficiencies with the athletic department stretches beyond football.

8. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

May 28, 2019
    Who cares about the SEC? I am far more concerned about the fact Cal-L.A. has a recent NC and has been ranked #1 for most of the year.

9. RDTK

RDTK Points Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Bump because of of other thread

10. KnightsWhoSayNi

KnightsWhoSayNi Junior Member

Jun 12, 2019
    SEC schools are wisely reinvesting their profits from football back into their baseball/basketball/softball programs for about ten years running... into upgraded facilities, staff, marketing, scholarships, and it has paid huge dividends. Then add in a concerted effort to recruit California baseball/softball talent (look at their rosters) with a promise of packed stadiums, great facilities, easy admissions, visibility on TV, and full rides... the pac12 schools are lagging and it will continue to get worse.

Not to mention the population shift to the southern states of middle class and blue collar families whose kids play baseball/softball improving local recruiting.

Heritage Hall had better rethink their strategy with all of these factors in view to compete with SEC teams determined to dominate these sports along with football. SC really could/should be great in baseball again.

I write this as a lifelong SC supporter from soCal now in TN, in the heart of SEC country.

11. Rigged4fun

Rigged4fun Member

Jun 12, 2019
    Rod Dedeaux won 11 national baseball championships, he won 5 straight and 28 conference championships. Rod was the Coach of the Year 6 times, and is a member of the College Hall of Fame.

Trojan Man 30 likes this.
  12. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Jun 12, 2019
    And he was named College Baseball Coach of the Century.

Trojan Man 30 likes this.
  13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 12, 2019
    Football funds minor sports at almost all schools. And there are some teams at some SEC schools that are completely self-sustaining, Kentucky in basketball and LSU in baseball. LSU has one of the few profitable baseball programs in the country.

I agree with softball although California numbers have declined somewhat over the last 7 or 8 years from what they used to be. Baseball not so much. If you look at the rosters of all the sec teams who are playing at the World Series, there are a total of just 6 players from California.