Like California residents, businesses are fleeing the Golden State

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by LaissezFaire28thStUSC, Sep 19, 2020.

2. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Sep 20, 2020
    I can confirm on the residents fleeing CA. The real estate markets in Montana and Idaho are red hot due to out of State buyers. The Bitterroot Valley in Montana is getting an extra bump from the Yellowstone television series. Out of state buyers from California, Texas and Arizona are leading the list of buyers coming to Montana.

I just hosted a fellow employee this past week who was passing through Missoula on vacation and wanted to look at real estate in the Bitterroot Valley and do some fly fishing. One night turned to two reflecting how much he loved it. He also looked at Couer d’Alene (CDA) and Sand Point in Idaho, but preferred the Bitterroot Valley of Montana.

3. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Sep 20, 2020
    He probably would not have loved it so much if he went and experienced a Montana winter. Brrrrrr, and brrrrr, and brrrrrr some more! If you're a born and bred spoiled low-lander of coastal Californian then that doesn't work out too well ; )

gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Sep 20, 2020
    Born in Fullerton, CA. Raised in Anaheim, primary residence is still Fullerton. Have a home in Big Bear Lake.

First off, the Bitterroot Valley is known as the banana belt of Montana. Google that shit.

The weather on the eastern side of the Continental Divide is far more harsh than on the western side. They regularly get those Alberta Clippers (aka Polar Vortexes) on the east side of the divide, whereas they’ll get one every 3 to 5 years on the west side. I tracked this for like 10 years before we bought.

It is one thing to have to commute to work in shit weather, but it’s altogether different when you are retired and don’t have to do anything but sip a hot chocolate and watch the snow fall. My wife is older than me and is retired; I still have 5+ years to go.

Last winter we would get from a trace to 1” to 3” from the best storms. Never had to plow our 1/4 mile long driveway. Neighbors who have been there since 1984 and watched our home being built, said they have only had to plow their drive twice. We are at 3,450’ elevation and the level at which the snow sticks around is above 5,000’.

Finally, we still have our other two homes in SoCal if we have to escape.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  5. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 20, 2020
    There was an exodus before COVID because of excessive regulation, now many are being forced out (or forced to close) as they are not allowed to operate until the governor decrees that they can. And this in the United States.

6. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Sep 20, 2020
    We left the Bay Area a month ago. Here's how my bills have changed:

NV Energy bill vs PG&E bill is lower by 66% and the air conditioning was running constantly during August/early Sept.
    Truckee Meadows Water vs Contra Costa is lower by 75% and the water is from Tahoe
    Trash and Recycling: $60 every 3 months vs $60 a month - again down 2/3rds
    Gas/Diesel - $.60 per gallon lower on average
    State taxes - down 100%. Stick it Newsom.
    Mortgage payment down 100%. Bought a nice and slightly larger house for cash.
    A we're 40 minutes from Tahoe.

I should change my user name, but I don't want to lose all my posting history.

7. Coconut_coverage

Coconut_coverage Points Member

Sep 20, 2020
    4) in a pretty kick-ass unique job that helps outweigh the growing pile of crap heap that is California. (It’s getting harder and harder to justify though; grin and bear it for 12 more years then consider an early-out at work).

DaFireMedic likes this.
  8. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Sep 20, 2020
    For a lot older Californians, most of their wealth is in their house, so it would make sense to move. But with prop 13, I still say California is not an expensive place to retire if you do not need the equity cash. Watch out for property taxes, they can eat you alive

9. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 20, 2020
    This is definitely true for me. Most of my wealth is in my house, a house that I would have had difficulty affording if not for Prop 13.

The problem is that it is that not everyone falls under Prop 13, and for them it’s difficult to afford the property taxes.

Like many people, what is keeping me in California is staying somewhat close to my adult children.

old scotty likes this.
  10. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Sep 20, 2020
    Without question, if you are young, the best place to live is in a high growth area. That is not currently California. It was like Orange County in the 70s, you had to be a complete idiot not to make money. But you also need to consider wages, I know several construction people who moved to Texas and returned, plenty of jobs, they all paid like shit.

For retiring you need to consider family, life style and expenses. Not one place is right for everyone.

11. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Sep 20, 2020
    I agree with high growth area or financial center to make the most money, but there is no reason to stay there in retirement.

My younger sister lives in Euless, Texas. One thing is certain, she will not stay there in retirement. Too hot, no mountains, bugs, they gouge the shit out of you with property taxes. She and her husband loved what they saw in Montana.

12. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Sep 20, 2020
    And Newsom is punishing kids by not letting them play youth sports. Liberal cities are going along too.

Are kids playing sports in the warm weather states?

13. Coconut_coverage

Coconut_coverage Points Member

Sep 20, 2020
    Arizona club soccer has already had tournaments, while our girls up here in norther L.A? County can still only practice as a singular “pod”. Up to a group of 15, no defense, no keeper in the goal, no one can be within 8 ft from each other, and until last week they couldn’t even pass the ball. My daughter is getting really restless about it. So sad, 3 years of competitive soccer left for her, and she has basically lost a whole year of that.

14. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Sep 21, 2020
    "Realtors in Montana are reporting record demand from West Coast refugees. The hotels are full, which is unheard of at this time of year."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-burnin-warning-against-one-120009131.html

Our real estate broker says that we could sell our ranch for double what we paid for it in 2018. I know it has gone up, but not sure I completely agree with her. The ranch has been a good escape outlet from COVID. It has also provided a good bit of diversification in in the overall portfolio. Finally, the fishing has been awesome.

El Capitan Loop.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Jim McNeil and DaFireMedic like this.
  15. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Sep 21, 2020
    Actually interesting idea. No more 1-0 games. Basketball scores.

The only downside isn50 the guy's voice who yells "GOAAAALLLLL......"

16. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Sep 21, 2020
    There is a fifth reason.

5) You have family and a history in California that would be very difficult to give up.

This reason is the challenging one.

I can say this with some experience, life can be a lot easier in other states than California. I have a child in Nashville who just bought a really cool all brick ranch house on 2 acres. It cost $365000. 87 octane gas is $1.89. The house is just cool with magnolia trees and a huge monument elm tree and a spectacular lawn.The house payment w taxes, insurance is $1700. An occasional bug, but great entertainment venues all over and first class food.

It really depends in what you like. There is no beating living right on the beach in Cali, starting at Coronado/Point Loma/Ocean Beach up to Santa Barbara. Once you move just a bit inland that goes away. But the water is cold, year round.

If you like biking, Colorado is just about impossible to beat. Camping, hiking the Rockies are damn good. I love the Eastern Sierras but you battle heavy mosquito infestations on a trip. No mosquitos in Colorado. And skiing is world class along with rafting. Golf is just OK.

Boating, ocean fishing and golf are fantastic in Florida. But you got bugs. Real bugs. Golf is crazy good all over the South, way way better than the West and Mountain West. Biking I don’t know, I don’t bike a lot, but biking in humidity doesn’t seem like fun. My main ride in Colorado is along a spectacular creek to over Vail Pass and the whole damn ride is just gorgeous, breathtakingly. You sure as shit won’t find that in Florida.

Cost of living in California( and Illinois, New York, New Jersey) is just awful. Contracosta outlined it well, California nickel and dimes you to death, but not just California)you have no idea living there just how bad it is.

Idaho and Montana as posters have written can really be amazing. Look at CFB’s ranch, there is NO WAY to put into words how cool and easy and serene life is in a place like that? Wake up, sit on the front porch with a cup of coffee and a roll, stare at snow capped mountains, deer and elk off in the distance, AND NO MANMADE NOISE. There is no putting a price on pure quiet, no way, no how.

Most of my friends in California lean right, and they just don’t very happy as a whole. People here in Colorado are stupid happy, honestly, they love living here. People I know in Illinois are plain miserable. Florida is mixed bag.

Its kinda funny, on this forum duecex seems the happiest with his life in California. Weird.

gubo&palanka and CFB Fan like this.
  17. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Sep 21, 2020
    If I moved to Montana, I would have to figure the cost of a new wife. We had friends from Mission Viejo who retired in Pittsburgh. It was cheap, had a good metropolitan area but most important it was family. Everyone is different. My cost of living is very low, if you add Property taxes, home insurance, utilities and mortgage, works out to $600/month. Just about all my investments are in tax deferred accounts so I do not pay a lot of state income taxes. We like quick short trips, 6 hours to Hawaii, 5 to NYC or Orlando, its a 4 hour drive to vegas. My free time is hiking, biking and walks, we have season tickets to USC football and basketball. Our only daughter has a great job that only can happen in LA or New York. Where I live works out great. No complaints. Retire wherever works out best for you.

18. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Sep 21, 2020
    That's the experience of my daughter. Left SF because she got a job at the U of Utah. Loves Utah, but her husband's salary is 1/3 of what it was in SF. As you note, comparisons aren't easy.

If, like you and I, you've lived here awhile, Calif isn't that expensive. For our kids, kind of hard to buy a decent home here.

Unfortunately, some folks leaving Calif are bringing the politics with them that caused them to leave in the first place.

DaFireMedic and CFB Fan like this.