LB Justin Flowe announces top 4 -- No USC

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by ErikMcKinney, Aug 2, 2019.

1. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Aug 2, 2019
    I know one player doesn't make a football team but this kid could have been for us what Manti Teo was to Notre Dame; minus the fake girlfriend of course. This has SO much more to do with that downward trajectory of the entire University and not just one bad 5-7 season.

gubo&palanka and Hockey10 like this.
  2. Alvaro Carrillo

Alvaro Carrillo Points Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Local five star recruits aren't even considering SC anymore. It's a miracle we got McCoy and Steele back. If this was the PC era, Flowe would not have gotten away.
    I think its more a case of "we lost him" than him being blown away by another program. If we can get a coach like Meyer, I think Flowe will be back in the fold. Him and Ricks are guys who will reconsider SC if we make a coaching change. But if they sign during the early signing period before we make a hire, then they are gone for good.

3. 023lenlen

023lenlen Senior Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Remind me again, how many days until early signing day in December, and how many games yet to be played, ditto RB Robinson? At least 120 days, and 12 games! If this was October, I would be worried or let down or resigned to their loss. I remember how many commits USC lost by October. Now if we're talking Bryce Young, that would be a torpedo to the broadside.

Wolfpack4SC likes this.
  4. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Agree with the general sentiment, that there's still time and nothing is completely lost - yet. But it's becoming quite an uphill battle to depend on a "good enough" season to turn many of these kids. For the ones still holding out, there's still time to change minds. For the ones already committed elsewhere, that's a tall ask, especially w/ the early signing period.

For the ones that just don't even include SC in their top considerations, it's a double-diss. Not only are they not coming, but not even conisidering...not even the ole hometown courtesy anymore.

It used to be that even if a kid wanted to go OOS, you gave SC the courtesy of kicking the tires and leaving them in your top 5...because, why burn that bridge? Now...kids are burning bridges like they're chewing on tide pods...w/ reckless abandon. But they do know Clay will always greet them with open arms...if something falls through at their other place.

5. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 3, 2019
    Very accurate post. Most of the posters are living in reality and acknowledge that our program is in trouble. "Recruits simply don't believe it" is such a telling comment. If recruits aren't buying into the Helton Clown Show this begs the questions what do the pumpers see that the recruits don't see as the pumpers are still buying into Helton whereas the Recruits are not.

6. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 3, 2019
    How can you spin this? This is terrible. We are losing recruits to our rivals in the Pac -12. Out of the top 30 2020 California kids 3 are serious considering SC. The real tragedy though is that 14 of the others are considering our Pac-12 rivals. These rivals Ore, Wash, Stan are likely to have a better year than us hence we will be screwed again. Helton and his cronies have destroyed SC football. How the pumpers continue to spin this as astonishing.

7. Coeur

Coeur Points Member

Aug 3, 2019
    if hiring Helton was about avoiding a wasted year in recruiting then this year is the sign that it's time to move on.

DJ- a bigger miss than Tua?

Darnell Washington- best player in Las Vegas. Not even a chance? And pushing it as SC doesn't want to put much into recruiting this guy?

Ringo- top DB. Top Arizona player

Flowe- DJ and flow as the top 2 California kids.

Any reason to keep Helton around to save this years recruiting class? Is there a single commit that would back out without Helton? Will any of the top kids wait to sign long enough for Urban or Jimmy Lake to take over?

8. sadpanda

sadpanda Junior Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Players also help recruit other players. Most of them all know each other and are friends. If things have truly changed at SC (like promised) why haven’t the current SC players spoken up to recruits about it? Why haven’t the current SC players vouch for Helton (like they did when they got him the job) with recruits?
    That’s what is concerning to me and makes me think things might not have changed at all.

gubo&palanka, Hockey10 and uscjrl98 like this.
  9. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Aug 3, 2019
    What has he been trying to do for the last 4 years? Lose?

Point is he doesn't know how.
    Sam Darnold did but he's gone now.

Helton is learning on the job. That's what you paid for that's what you got.

All these top California dudes leaving the state are saying we don't have time for him to learn. I only have 3 years. Clay's been here 4 yrs and he's still at square one. The hires he made this year should have been made 4 years ago. Instead he used this once in a lifetime opportunity as a family reunion tour.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  10. SonofGodzilla

SonofGodzilla Points Member

Aug 3, 2019
    He had too many stars ??

uscjrl98 likes this.
  11. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Aug 3, 2019
    My question is this....every single so called "expert" who works for 247 Sports and every other recruiting site had Justin Flowe as a 100% lock to USC up till a week ago when he visited Clemson. Now, I get that Clemson is on top of the collegiate football world right now and I'm sure they did an amazing of rolling out the red carpet for him. But how did we go from a 100% deadlock for the young man to not even making his final 4? Something very strange/fishy going on here! I want someone who is in the know with this young man's family to explain what the hell happened. Flowe's decision to leave USC out of his final 4 has NOTHING to do with USC going 5-7 last year. NOTHING! I want to know what the real story is and how we fix it; not just with Flowe but with every other recruit in our area that we keep missing out on.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Points Member

Aug 3, 2019
    USC was out for awhile

Those 247 CBs don't mean anything. You have to understand the direction the player is going.
    Been Clemson vs Georgia since Feb or March

Plus some people like to put a SC CB in on every top recruit.

gubo&palanka and uscjrl98 like this.
  13. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 4, 2019
    Actually the 5-7 does have something to do with it. No one wants to play for a under 500 team with planes flying overhead on nationally televised games calling for Helton to be fired. But the fact that our 2019 class was horrible and our 2020 class is worse. This kid has NFL aspirations. Our Lb's drafted for the past 5 years are 2019 Smith 5th round. 2018 Nwosa 2nd round. 2017 No one, 2016 Cravens 2nd round 2015 Pullard 6th round 2014 Kennard 5th round. No 1st rounders developed during Heltons tenure. In fact but for Nwosa all of these kids 4-5 stars. The point is Flowe wants to be a 1st round NFL pick and Helton has demonstrated that he can't develop a LB into a first round pick. Can't really blame the kid for wanting what's best for him and his family.

14. Trojanmack909

Trojanmack909 Junior Member

Aug 4, 2019
    I would add Elias Ricks and Kylee Ringo to that list as well. Corners with that size and cover ability don’t come along too often. Both were in SC’s recruiting territories.

15. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Aug 4, 2019
    Shelton's job isn't to develop the linebackers. That's the job of the positional coach and the Defensive Coordinator. I'm still not buying that our 5-7 record or Clay Helton being the coach is what changed this kid's mind so dramatically, so quickly. I'm telling you, it's something deeper than this.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 4, 2019
    This kid's mind was never changed. This kid NEVER said he was coming to SC. The only people that said this were recruiting homers on other websites. You do realize that only 3 of the top 30 California kids committed in 2019 and only 5 of the top 30 California kids are considering SC in 2020. The numbers are clear California kids aren't coming to a Helton coached team. I understand you think there is some kind of conspiracy with Flowe. Please send me a link where Flowe himself said he was coming to SC and please explain why the other kids aren't coming. Is there something deeper going on with all these kids or is it as simple as they don't want to play for Helton. I may be in the minority but I would want to go to a school that plays for a Championship and prepares me for the NFL. Nothing Nefarious about that.

17. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Aug 4, 2019
    So what's your solution to correct this systematic problem? What happens if USC wins 10+ games this season? Obviously we wouldn't fire Coach Helton after a brilliant season and you're saying that we can't seem to sign the top talent in the area so what's the solution?

Chris Peterson is the most overrated coach in the country. He doesn't win big at UW nor will he. Mario Cristobal and Oregon are the most overrated program in the country. The only thing that makes them special is the facilities bought by Uncle Phil and Nike and they can't win for sh*t either with their ugly ass uniforms that change every two days and the top QB in the conference.

So again, why aren't we locking up the top players in our recruiting area and how do we rectify the problem especially if we have a great season?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  18. FightOn4Eva

FightOn4Eva Points Member

Aug 4, 2019
    It doesn’t matter what’s going on with the recruits when it comes to naming favorites at this time. USC is not setting the world on fire BUT IF this season turns out GREAT (which I believe it will) they will attract interest from not only Cali but throughout the states. We have/are the brand, the winning history, the tradition, the weather, the greatest fight song, the entertainment and Hollywood, and the 11 national titles...plus the one we win in the next year. Yes I said it NATTY COMING SOON, some of you might think other and this cat is fool...BUT if you BLEED, BELIEVE, and LOVE SC...then STOP WAH WAHHING and FIGHT THE F✌️✌️K ON.

19. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Aug 4, 2019

We still hanging good with Raesjon Davis?

20. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 4, 2019
    The answer to that question is actually in your opening question. A systemic problem must be rooted out which means our new President Carol Folt must fire the AD and Helton and start anew. You propose a very valid scenario which is what if we win 10 or more games. First off that would be fantastic. I love SC and SC football more than just about anything else in the world. I tutored football players as an undergrad and as a grad student and the joy these players experience when we are winning is priceless. (this is why I know 5-7 is a problem. Have you ever been in class with one of our players after a tough loss especially to the ruins or nd. It is not pleasant) If we go 10-2 or 11-1 then we are back no doubt about it the recruits will come back and those committed elsewhere will decommit and head to Troy. Heltons 5-7 will be a fluke and the Trojans will be riding high again. As with most on the board I believe that our first 6 games will answer these questions. Fight On

OCBeachTrojan and gubo&palanka like this.