LA Times Out To Stop Urban To SC

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by 1stNGoalSC, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Troy4 me

Troy4 me Points Member

Nov 8, 2019
    L.A. Slimes. How come no SC representation there? Oh, they take better journalistic jobs elsewhere...

2. RDTK

RDTK Points Member

Nov 8, 2019
    Hardly. My point is if you run anything, and all you're going to do is be worried about what others think, then you're already a loser and might as well just quit.

3. OrangeBill

OrangeBill Points Member

Nov 8, 2019

4. OrangeBill

OrangeBill Points Member

Nov 8, 2019
    Yes, and then there was Bill's memorable column where he pronounced Max Wittek as the next great, Heisman caliber Trojan QB on the basis of watching him throw a tight spiral to an audience member at a luncheon. Max Wittek?!

5. tenku

tenku Junior Member

Nov 8, 2019
    There's a reason why LA Times has been losing business for the last 5 years.

6. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 8, 2019
    i doubt that's the reason

7. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Nov 8, 2019
    If SC hires Urban and he turns it around Plaschke will eat crow! In fact he will be reminded of his ignorance by other beat writers especially on Around the Horn. Remember when you said .....
    Fight On!

8. TrojanMoondoggie

TrojanMoondoggie Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019
    This is what I was thinking. With ucla’s history, in several areas, those in glass houses...well you know the rest.
    With their coach they have no right to spout off, about anything.
    ucla is like that person you know who has a critique or cheap shot to throw at others, while totally ignoring those same traits in themselves. Total hypocrites.
    As for the Hernandez guy, is he the one who lobbed the outdated “spoiled children” stereotype? And the one who misspelled Folt’s name. If so, he’s a lousy journalist and it doesn’t speak well to what ucla is turning out as grads.
    In the meantime, this guy should worry more about his university and its lack of diversity, especially relating to those with similar surnames as his.

TrojanFireHorse12 and Troy4 me like this.
  9. Illiad

Illiad Active Member

Nov 9, 2019
    The problem with all of this is the LA Times is just like all other mainstream media establishments over the last 30-40 years. (Actually if anything the LA Times has gotten a little bit better since the change in ownership).

As many these days say, journalism is dead....no impartiality, no objectivity....just drive and push an agenda. In fact it so much of the media often bites the hand that feeds them.

I would expect the Times to turn on SC and its readers if SC hired Meyer, and put SC under the LA Times microscope of extra, extra scrutiny in an attempt to try and destroy USC Football, with a pre-determined narrative Meyer is bad, SC football must be destroyed.

This is nothing new, as over 100 years ago the "predetermined narrative Times" pissed off the wrong people that thought they were getting a really raw deal from the Times. The outcome wasn't a good one....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Times_bombing

We don't have to go that far if the Times tries to destroy SC football, but we sure might want to consider having Traveler take a dump on Plashke's car if they eventually start attacking us just to sell papers.

10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019
    If SC is so weak to listen to Times no donations from me

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  11. Dinky Dunstan

Dinky Dunstan Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019
    They haven’t been objective in over 30 years, be it Sports, politics, crime, culture etc.

They pick a side and then show you how to think about it.

40 years ago journalism students wanted to inform their readers, now they want to ‘change the world’, because they know best.

I canceled the Times long ago, and I used to be addicted to it every morning, when it was a newspaper. They would call me tell me all sorts of specials and discounts because they ‘wanted me back’.

I told them I wanted a real newspaper back so no thanks.

12. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    USC football is the big dog and the LA Times is just a tip of the tail - if USC football was prospering then LA Times would be all over the story and attempting to get to the front of the line to cover the Trojans as the local rag with the local insights.