LA Times exposé on the Song Girls

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Apr 22, 2021.

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Apr 22, 2021
    Will Folt demand furd girls be the standard?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 22, 2021
    I'm not going to pay either. However, the first Song Girl mentioned is Josie Bullen. She is currently a senior and was a Song Girl for just 1 year, 2020. She is focused on the media's portrayal of mental health...
    https://annenberg.usc.edu/news/spotlight/new-student-group-explores-medias-portrayal-mental-health

And she wants to "combine my creative and organizational talents as a professional in the entertainment industry."

I don't think anyone should be surprised to learn that Song Girls, like pretty much all cheerleaders and dancers, are held to a very strict standard for weight and appearance. Most pro cheerleaders sign a contract with weight limits included. Josie is clearly a very high achiever academically. Add in the dancing and then the demands of Song Girl standards of perfection where she's also on camera, and an eating disorder isn't shocking.

There have been threads and posts here where these young ladies are evaluated on nothing more than beauty or body. It's the same everywhere when it comes to cheerleaders. It's not just a USC thing.

4. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Apr 22, 2021
    The (uc)LA Times isn't fit to wrap fish in.

5. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Apr 22, 2021
    Does USC have a male or trans Song Girl yet? If not, just a matter of time the way USC is going.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  6. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Apr 22, 2021
    If I evaluate a rose bloom on its beauty, does that debase me and/or the rose? Must I also consider the rose bush's contribution to providing shade, or the rose hip as a potential tea or jam ingredient, when I just want to enjoy the Divine's undeserved and inequitable distribution of beauty?

7. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Apr 22, 2021
    I've thought about identifying as a Song Girl, but that Tahoe water is just too cold for me.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  8. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Apr 22, 2021
    I can see it now: Michael Schumacher, standing on the podium after winning the Formula 1 race, lamenting, "Ich wünschte, die Leute könnten sehen... [sniff] ...dass ich so viel mehr als nur ein Rennfahrer bin."

9. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Apr 22, 2021
    Except at Cal.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Apr 22, 2021
    The Times will criticize SC for not having trans song girls any day now.

11. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

Apr 22, 2021
    I didn't get past the paywall. What is the issue? I assume anyone who gets into USC these days has brains. That applies to the Song Girls. And their uniforms are classic and modest --- not like the gawdy Vegas showgirl stuff we see at other schools. So what is the problem?

12. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 22, 2021
    It's not that deep. Cheerleaders are objectified, quite often with their own consent, but not as a matter of their preference. Can a less attractive female or a more Rubenesque figured female be just as good a cheerleader/song girl? Of course. But do they get selected? No. They aren't or at least shouldn't be out there to satisfy anyone's need for ogling. Rather, they should be good gymnasts, dancers, representatives of their organization. It is what it is but it's also irritating to read comments about how some squads are "ugly" compared to a previous year.

I mean....telling them they have to wear makeup at school, going to class? Stupid.

13. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Apr 22, 2021
    Rams have male cheerleaders, not sure about trans. Expect Folt to oust Song Girl alumna leader.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  14. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Apr 22, 2021
    My son had a friend who was on the squad. She asked him to one of the high school dances. She must have been on the squad somewhere around 2005 to 2009. She was the captain, if I got the title correct. I think folks here would be surprised to learn how hard these young women work in being Song Girls.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  15. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Apr 22, 2021
    Brings this to mind:

Pole dancing arguably requires an equal amount of athleticism. The difference between cheerleaders and pole-dancing strippers is that society considers one a more acceptable and wholesome level of objectification than the other.

Alex and Marty can absolutely be good friends, but at the end of the day, both have to accept the fact that, in certain conditions (e.g. going a while without food), Marty is going to look like a steak to Alex. Marty knows what he's signing up for and so do the cheerleaders.

I agree, but from a sociological perspective, that's in-group female social conditioning right there. Similar to things like high heels as a matter of professional dress (instead of flats), women set those standards for themselves, not men. Can't blame the oglers for that one.

16. GoRamSC

GoRamSC Junior Member

Apr 22, 2021
    I too had a eating disorder, crazy diet, code of ethics to participate, verbally abused by team captains and coaches, hazed, and treated bad by some professors.
    ....gosh I miss playing college ball.