KK resigning to pursue NFL interviews??

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by NorCalTrojan_itul1, Jan 5, 2019.

1. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jan 5, 2019
    I’m not sure why anyone would think that good coaches would not work under Clay Helton. Kingsbury chose USC over numerous other offers, some probably paying even more. It seems that some are translating their personal dislike for Helton into thinking that all other coaches feel the same way.

Just a few of the reasons a good coach would want to come to USC to be OC under Helton:

They would be coming to USC, the premiere football school in the western United States, with recruiting power unmatched by any other school in the region. And yes, we are still USC.

USC has opened up the checkbook for KK, They certainly would for another top OC as well. Pay won’t likely be an issue.

That OC would have full control of the offense in a no lose situation with a huge opportunity to shine. Restoring USC’s offense would look pretty good come negotiation time wherever you go next.

You are starting with talent at the skill positions (including 3 talented QB’s) that are among the best in the nation, and a good OC would have the aforementioned recruiting power to maintain it.

Helton is an easy going (probably too easy going) guy. You won’t see him in his OC’s face chewing him out ala Saban/Kiffen. If you don’t think this matters, try working with an overbearing boss.

There’s a pretty decent chance to take over as HC. There really arent many other options on USC’s staff to turn the reins over to should USC release Helton within the next year. It’s a foot in the door to one of the premiere HC jobs in the country.

These are just a few off the top of my head, I’m sure there are many more. I believe that any available OC would be foolish to decline coming to USC solely because of Helton. And if he’s that foolish, I don’t want him here anyway.

2. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 5, 2019
    I can’t believe this is even a topic of conversation on this board. The author of the article put it out there that HYPOTHICALLY, he could resign to pursue a position in the NFL. Many suckers took the bait....

USCTFL, woohit42, ca4usc and 2 others like this.
  3. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jan 5, 2019

Blame it on the OP, who bait-faked the title of the thread.

4. NorCalTrojan_itul1

NorCalTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Jan 5, 2019
    I a
    I added a question mark in the title; it wasn’t a statement. The point here is that this hire brings a lot of drama. Don’t expect these “articles” to go away, even after the season starts. If our offense is successful next year, KK likely leaves for a different, higher paying/ higher profile job, as it has been teased. The only way I see this hire being a victory for the future, is if Gomer continues to crap the bed and not make adjustments, leading to another sub-standard season, and THEN, maybe the HC job is offered/ accepted by KK. Other than that, it’s a one year rental, IMO. And then if he leaves, we’re right back to square one.

5. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jan 5, 2019
    This hire hasn’t brought any drama here.

We have brought the drama here.

And yes, these articles may not go away, but it doesn’t matter as they aren’t the cause of the drama around here either. It is our reaction to them that does. They are just writing conjecture and hypothetical situations as the media often does, yet we take hold and run with them as though KK himself had written them from his own thoughts.

I find it amusing that Kingsbury has not said a single word (to my knowledge) to indicate that he is thinking of leaving USC, yet he and his hiring is getting the blame for creating the drama.

6. valleytrojan

valleytrojan Active Member

Jan 5, 2019
    I agree. We have not heard anything....except that a couple of solid recruits (offense) came on board earlier in the day. What WR recruit would sign up if he was not confident that the OC was staying?

DaFireMedic likes this.
  7. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Jan 5, 2019
    Are the LOIs in or is it just a commitment? Should answer your question.

8. woohit42

woohit42 Junior Member

Jan 5, 2019
    I believe one of today's commitments was from the early signing period (LOI in) and delayed his announcement until today

9. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 6, 2019
  10. HOFFA

HOFFA Points Member

Jan 6, 2019
    This is my biggest issue with what Kingsbury is doing.

He knew the NFL would come calling, but he didn't want to pass up a plum opportunity at SC. So, he signs the contract, knowing full well he still wants to flirt with the NFL.

In the process, he screws not only SC, but other potential coaches who may have been in play for this job if Kingsbury never accepted it.

So now what? Kingsbury leaves, SC goes after another OC, maybe one who had his eye on this job but took a different one once Kingsbury committed. It's a chain reaction of shit.

OC2SC and uscjrl98 like this.
  11. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 6, 2019
    This is a good synopsis of where we are at. I would also factor in that Kingsbury has absolutely no loyalty to SC. If he leaves he will have forgotten about us within 24 hours. He has as far as I know zero ties to the University.

12. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Jan 6, 2019
    I hope he resigns for long term purposes. SC needs to take 2 steps backwards in order to go 10 steps forward.

Swann will get embarrassed and ultimately retaining Helton will be his undoing.

uscjrl98 likes this.
  13. Troken

Troken Junior Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Having an atrocious season will not be a huge recommendation for him to take over the head coaching job. If the season goes bad a lot of the blame will fall on the OC and doesn't really shout out to LS to promote him to the top spot.

14. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Very unprofessional on KKs part. He should at least do one year here.

15. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jan 6, 2019
    The sooner he makes a decision on this, the we all can move on. Quit dragging this mess out!

16. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Jan 6, 2019
    URBAN 2019

BlueBlood likes this.
  17. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Jan 6, 2019
    What makes you think it's fixable? I mean the O line is a mess and we lost a great RB coach last year who didn't want to be here anymore. I think the problem is with Gomer and maybe KK didn't do his homework or is just pulling Rick Majerus on us.

BlueBlood and uscjrl98 like this.
  18. NorCalTrojan_itul1

NorCalTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Jan 6, 2019
    How do you figure that a bad season falls squarely in the OC?? A bad season doesn’t mean that it’s bad on both sides of the ball. Maybe the offensive play calling is great, but the defense struggles and the O-line doesn’t hold up. Maybe Gomer fails to make any adjustments...again. Maybe he continues his love affair with upperclassmen, instead of the BEST player. Maybe the practices continue to be soft. You don’t think that thought ever occurred to KK, that Helton might be gone after next year, and he could get the offer? Probably half the reason he took the job to begin with. Obviously, we weren’t the only ones coming after him. Re-think your opinion

19. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Jan 6, 2019
    I best thing to do is to stop all this drama and let Kingsbury coach a year at USC.
    It is not a given that he will be successful. But he should be given that chance.

He will coach the offense. But there are other factors like defense, special teams,
    and the coaching culture. All he can do is improve the offense but not perform magic.

20. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Starts at top, HC has to change culture of softness. KK being here won’t change it only Clay

BlueBlood and uscjrl98 like this.