Kenan Christon Sr. and Mike Jinks

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Scott Rodriguez

Scott Rodriguez Points Member

Jan 15, 2021
    The run game isn’t just about scoring points, it’s about eating up the clock too. This is why most of our games are close. We throw for four touchdowns early, our opponents figure it out, then we give them too much time and too many possessions in the second half because we can’t pound the rock. I would love to see Kenan in a power I behind a fullback...remember the Washington St game? They gained possession in the 4th qt and used up right at 10 minutes in one drive

2. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 15, 2021
    Christon would absolutely thrive in a real Air Raid if, in fact, we ran one, because he would be playing in space 100% of the time. Go watch films of Wazzu and tell me Christon wouldn't lead the conference in all-purpose yardage if he played in that offense. In fact, watch Christon in last year's offense and then watch him in this year's and see the difference how he was lined up and how he was used. Same with Stephen Carr, another wasted back. You think all of that is coming from Harrell? Believe me, Gomer has his greasy paws on that too.

Now, understand that I'm not representing that the Air Raid is the best offense we could be running. Personally, I would prefer running a pro set or a Power I but you can't be Air Raid one minute and something else the next minute. Helton needs to pick a lane, hire accordingly, and stick to it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  3. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2021
    I think Kenan can beat out Carr for number 2. And yes, they do have injuries at RB. I've watched the UCLA game a couple times and Vavae played really well. He ran hard and found holes that weren't there. Unfortunately Carr looks like a spent force to me.

LDIABootney and gubo&palanka like this.
  4. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2021
    No but he was a part of Gumbo and he succeeded anyway.

5. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 15, 2021
    Absolutely Harrell should have created more opportunities for the fastest player on the team.
    In regards to the Jinx comment, wasn't Christon avoiding bulking so as to maintain his track speed? I recall reading or hearing this a month or two back.

No way am I excusing Harrell's lack of vision but attempting to serve two masters(Kenan) Ain't easy.
    Bo Jackson types are rare creatures.
    Something concerned parents need to take into consideration.

So Mr Christon what's your plan for junior this current off season?
    A Bulk up some to enhance his chances for survival as a running back.
    B Maintain his Greyhound like disposition so he can enhance that SPEED for Track activities .

Jinx should really be celebrated by you! this was a comment of concern said not as a coach but as a father. So have a Man to Man with your son and make your decisions,

FOOTBALL BODY OR TRACK BODY that is the question!
    Be it at Sc or someplace else that question will follow you...

6. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 15, 2021
    I don’t think that is fair to Mr Christon. When they recruited Christon they knew he and accepted the fact that he was going to do both track and football.
    Let’s circle back to recruiting. With Helton he is recruiting for stars. If not he would have not put the kid in the position of having to choose a sport. They recruited him for his speed.
    Now let’s get to Jinx. I have been asking what has he done lately then just collect a paycheck. We lost Markese, we were only able to recruit one RB in this cycle and we have to hope Vavae or Carr comeback for 1 more year. That and coming last in production in the PAC12. To me the results alone, reflect that he should have been on the list with Drevno and Ausmus. And we all know Gutless Helton can’t fire anybody, but my point is that we have to get results from our coaches or cut them loose. CPC did it with his OC this week as they lost in the first round of the playoffs. Numbers were better, but it did not translate to win column especially when it mattered.
    And lastly, thank you Mr. Rodriguez for your input. I am very sad to hear about how your son is getting screwed and I hope Jason can hang on until this program can clean up its act!
    Fight On!

Trojack likes this.
  7. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Jan 15, 2021
    From watching Mike Leach teams, you need speed to have a successful air raid. His WRs were mostly under size but had speed

gubo&palanka and Troy70 like this.
  8. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 15, 2021
    As does Christon and Carr

9. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Jan 15, 2021
    Exactly. Carr has slow down and don’t think he can out run DBs but Christon can definitely make big plays if they used him properly.

Troy70 likes this.
  10. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 15, 2021
    Time comes when we have to make personal decisions. Serving multiple masters works mostly in fantasy land.
    Drake London stepped up his evolution and I couldn't be happier for the young brother. We can only become our very best at ONE think at a time!
    Convincing our western kid of this truth is very difficult.
    When a Cheetah starts a chase it picks/locks in on ONE animal! regardless if there are dozens in the area, her focus is on that ONE. And they still only succeed between 40 to 50% of the time.

Most of our kids would starve in nature, Hell, most starve today in our urban jungle.
    So can be the curse of over- abundance, Western style!

Oh about Jinx? he's one of our connection to Texas. True! Harrell, TO, TE coach, Snyder are all Texans but the uniqueness of Jinx is a necessary must.

11. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Jan 15, 2021
    What are you talking about?

12. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 15, 2021
    Carr doesn't need to outrun them as much as get in space to try to juke them which he does quite well. He can't do that as a blocking back.

13. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Jan 15, 2021
    KC is what? 185 LBs? That’s waaaay too heavy for an Air Raid Lite!!! Like others have pointed out above, look across the country to Bama and Devonta. He’s perfect at 175 lbs! KC is too damn fat to be used for his speed!! LOL.

14. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 15, 2021
    I'm going to prove how stupid Mike Jinks sounds talking about his current weight.

Screenshot_20210115-221836_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210115-222120_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210115-222306_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210115-223037_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210115-222403_Samsung Internet.jpg

Some of the greatest RB's in Pac 12 history were:
    5 foot 10 180-195 lbs and that's their Jr and Sr and NFL weight. Most of them played around 180 lbs most of their college career. I did this breakdown years ago. I came to the conclusion 5 foot 10 180-190 lbs with the perfect blend of speed was the ideal back for the Pac 12. Maybe not for the SEC in the past because they run between the tackles more but that's changing too.

Christon is a Sophomore and is 5 foot 10 185 lbs. He's one trip to In and Out Burger from being at the top end of 190 lbs. If you want him bigger get him two 4x4's, large fries and 2 large cokes. Problem solved Mike. That's how petty this is.

Jinks doesn't know $#!t about Pac 12 RB history. Every one of these small dudes made it to the NFL.

De Anthony Thomas is the only back above that could even run with Kenan.

Besides RB how did Oregon use him?
    WR, Punt and kick off returner of course.

Imagine that.

Helton probably never even thought about about using Kenan like that. DAT ran one back against K-State and USC how ironic because K state's coach is here now and Helton was on the staff when he took one to the house on USC.

DAT only turned out to be one of the greatest punt and kickoff returners in college and Pac 12 history. What was the key to his success? Speed!!!!

https://www.addictedtoquack.com/2014/7/3/5865725/atqs-20-in-20-16-deanthony-thomas

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  15. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2021
    This is my point. Harrell doesn't want to or doesn't use his speedy RB Christon correctly. These guys weren't asked to stay in and block on pass plays for the majority of the time. They were used in space. Had plays created for them. Hid behind huge OL then popped out and took off. They didn't block 10-15 plays in a row.

16. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Jan 16, 2021
    Funny thing is USC has a tradition of tough as nails running backs that are undersized.
    Charles White, Anthony Davis, Mike Garrett were all round 185 lbs.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.