Just Asking....

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by AZTrojan38, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Just Asking....
    AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Had we found a way to beat BYU last week, going into this game, I'm assuming we would have been ranked somewhere around #23. After beating Utah tonight, if we were 4-0, and just took down a top 10 team, I'm guessing we would have made a huge leap into the top 12-15. If by Monday morning we were 4-0 and ranked #12 in the country, would there be this much desire to see Helton fired or would we all be singing a completely different tune?

There's no question that Clay Helton is over his head but damn, if we were 4-0 and ranked highly, we'd all have to cut this guy a break.

We still have a long way to go before this tough stretch is over and we could be singing a very different tune next Saturday night, but for this week, you've really earned my respect Coach Helton. Way to get it done at home against a top 10 team.

Beat the Huskies!

CoachRoy likes this.

2. FreeReggieBush

FreeReggieBush Points Member

Sep 20, 2019
    If we beat BYU, we don't win tonight. If somehow we are 4-0, we'd get smoked by You Dub. That's Helton's issue. He, Clancy, and Graham have different identities so our team is never consistent because they don't have a philosophy to fall back on.

Ventura Trojan and drheisenberg like this.
  3. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    IF

Should be, would be with a better HC

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  4. Who's High Pitch?

Who's High Pitch? Points Member

Sep 20, 2019
    This! Last year we beat the conference champs at home on Friday night and finished 5-7. This team wins in spite of the coaching, not because of it.

Ventura Trojan and drheisenberg like this.
  5. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    The jury would still be out. There are still fundamental problems that haven’t been corrected, and that’s concerning. I’d still be waiting till after the Notre Dame game. Had he made it to 6-0, it would be hard to call for his firing.

There’s not any specific loss that would be the breaking point, it’s the overall play of the team. I thoroughly enjoyed the win tonight, but I have to think we’d get slaughtered by any of the top 5 teams.

oajr01, TXTrojan_itul1 and Jay4usc like this.
  6. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    The only game which we looked impressive was the Stanford game and they suck this year so ... no

Cyrus likes this.
  7. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Helton bought himself another week. Keep the train rollin’ coach!

8. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019

This is why he’s almost “week-to-week” in Trojan hearts....you never know what you’re going to get.

Hair-pulling decisions. Inconsistency. Poor play calls. Out-of-control 15-yd. penalties.

Great win....but I’m still reserving judgement.

9. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Helton earned nothing and the Trojans won despite themselves. The team discipline is absolutely terrible and that falls directly on Helton. Hard to be a disciplinarian when one of you players causes a boneheaded penalty, and instead of chewing them out, Helton gives them a sweet little pat on the but.

10. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Great win, but the box score does not lie. It says a lot when your leading tackler is a safety. Utah self destructed in the red zone and untimely penalties!
    Fight On!

AnArchitect likes this.
  11. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Sep 20, 2019
    At 4-0 and ranked in the top 10, this team would have simply been cruising for a bigger fall later on.
    Yes, they would have been ranked there. But does the eyeball test say they were a top ten team? Hellton no.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  12. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    He is just not the guy to get us a Nattie. If that is the goal, then just make the cut and move on. It is what it is. He can win the Pac12, but so can 3 or 4 of the other teams in the conference; so that is not saying much. The team is improving, but what does that even mean after a 5-7 season? Doesn't seem to difficult to improve over that. We just need to enjoy this season, hope for the best, and root for our team. Unless the team implodes, Helton will be our coach for at least the rest of the season. Fight On! Beat the Huskies!

13. MiketoBush61

MiketoBush61 Points Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Earned your respect? USC is on their way to a 3-3 start and 8 wins (my pre-season thoughts), but whether I'm right or wrong (prefer to be wrong) you saw a great effort by USC but the same old, same old from our DC-failure to contain the edge; failure to tackle, failure to stop 3rd & long most of the time, etc., etc. USC made some big plays on both ends, but we were also a little lucky. A tip of the hat to Coach Helton but he doesn't get my respect until he can back up something he says. "Situational mastery" my patootie!

14. CoachRoy

CoachRoy Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Graham Harrell dialed the plan and Fink to Pittman executed it and the O line and Markese Stepp finished it! Stepp should start!

15. Situational Mastery

Situational Mastery Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I'll be back on board if they beat both UW and Notre Dame on the road.

16. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Singing the same tune even if 4-0. Look, winning is what matters most, especially in a title game or bowl game, but, I look at the regular season as well. Let’s look at the 4 games.

Fresno state at the Coli nearly pulled off a huge comeback and sent the game to OT if Polo-Mao didn’t have the int in the end zone.

Stanford at the Coli. Down 20-3, we went on a 42-0 run and we thought we had turned the corner with a 45-20 win...then I turned on the tv last weekend and saw UCF beating Stanford 38-7 or something stupid. Stanford sucks, and we were facing their scrubby backup qb.

BYU, who isn’t very good, beat us. We are so much more talented than them, that loss just shouldn’t happen. Even if we did win, it would have taken OT or been a nail bitter. It should have been a double digit win.

Last night, nice win, their best player was out, we were thoroughly dominated on the lines, but our skill level at WR owned their midgets in the secondary and low percentage Hail Marys were answered over and over to bail the coaching staff out.

So no, even if we were at 4-0, we all know the luck will run out against Washington, ND and others. Look for a 3-3 record after the next 2 games.

17. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I agree with the problems. But many were saying 2-4 before the Utah game, now saying 3-3.

I’m not looking for anything yet.

18. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    You’re eyes don’t deceive you, and 4-0 wouldn’t cover that up. Complete lack of discipline, zero running game, missed tackles and head scratching defensive schemes last night. The players win that game last night in-spite of the coaching stafff, not because it. When was the last time you watched a USC game and thought they had a coaching/schematic advantage? I can’t remember one under CCH. Would 4-0 change that for me? Nope

19. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Something like 26 total penalties (both teams). Unacceptable. That and the 13 total yards rushing. WTF is up with that? And rankings don't mean shyte right now.