Jury Pool

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Conquest4ever1981, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Jury Pool
    Conquest4ever1981

Conquest4ever1981 Junior Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Hopefully, the decisions makers will grow a pair and force Sark to prove his BS case in the courtroom. If so voir dire will be quite interesting. Among those disqualified will be fans and alum who are Trojans, bRuins, Domers, Trees and any other Pac12 rivals. FIGHT ON! BEAT THE SARK!

2. usc_ee

usc_ee Junior Member

Dec 9, 2015
    It is my experience that almost anyone with any ability for critical thinking is rejected.

3. TailbackU

TailbackU Junior Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Don't be too quick to presume what will be done in jury selection. I know many attorneys that couldn't care less and just say give me any 12 and let's go. Others take the other extreme and hire jury selection firms to monitor the process. You also have only so many challenges so you can't weed out every single person you think may be a problem. Jury pool in the Central District is extremely diverse typically and no way to know what you will get. The trouble with juries is really the opposite, they often try too hard to get it right, don't understand jury instructions and take the instructions far too literally. Guessing about what juries will do is an exercise in futility.

4. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I was on a jury once.

Really quite fascinating.

5. sjakek

sjakek Junior Member

Dec 9, 2015

It would be a monsterously stupid decision to take this to court and let Sark's lawyer make a circus at USC's expense. It is a trial attorney, working on contingency, with a reputation for making a scene.

The record will be publically available, and you're guaranteed TMZ will run with it. The negative publicity's impact on fundraising alone will hurt USC financially more than the $30M request would. And this case is by no means cut and dry given California's disability laws, which definitively do include alcoholism. There is enough risk that USC could ostensibly lose this case after Sark's lawyer digs up a shit ton of skeletons on the administration and the university. At that point it won't matter whether or not the university has a stronger case than Sark; all that will matter is that the university will have plenty of negative press for its haters to use. I would be surprised if they don't settle somewhere in the 5-10M range, presumably in line with his buy-out, and this thing never makes it to court.

Let's put it another way: how much confidence do you have that Pat Haden, Mr. 'let's-hire-the-first-guy-that-says-yes-in-November,' (both times, with Sark and Helton) did an extensive effort to dot his I's and cross his T's?

$10M is a rounding error for USC's administration. It's worth a hell of a lot less than avoiding months of slow burning negative press, to say nothing of the fact that the preponderance of evidence standard is not that difficult to meet in a case like this.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Dec 9, 2015

So true.

Plus, this is Haden we're talking about; he was too much of a p*ssy to sue to the NCAA for screwing over USC, I doubt he wants a trial where his screw-ups will get put under a magnifying glass

7. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Dec 9, 2015

8. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Trojans are truthful....most brunes are liars.....USC lawyers will have trouble ferreting them out unless there is extensive clandestine research on the entire jury panel.

I had several brunes who worked for me, lawyers, to a man they hated USC and would have lied about that in order to get on that jury... Tip of the iceberg

9. Conquest4ever1981

Dec 9, 2015
    First of all this is not a personal injury case. It is a wrongful termination case and it is doubtful Sark's attorney is working on a contingency basis.

Secondly, who gives a rip about TMZ coverage. This is not the trial of the century and I seriously doubt Harvey and company will devote much time to it.

Faint hearted people like yourself assume the worst without knowing all the facts. Don't forget that when Haden reprimanded Sark after STT Sark denied he had an alcohol problem. Sark is not a sympathetic character by any stretch of the imagination. He could very well alienate a jury as well as the public in general. Let's stop with all this cowardly folding up the tent talk. To be blunt Sark is trying his hand at high stakes extortion. Let him prove his case. This is what fighting on is all about.

10. Conquest4ever1981

Dec 10, 2015
    Sark's lawyer no doubt is working on some type of contingency but I will bet Sark had to plop down a retainer. Sark will also be billed for costs so he is coughing up some bucks. USC should definitely stare him down with a strong defense and we'll see who blinks.