JDR

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by SeattleTrojan, Nov 26, 2020.

1. JDR
    SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Interesting. Another team, another top 10 defense in the NFL. WA is #1 in passing D and #6 in total yards. Who else was a defensive wizard in the NFL that moved to college....maybe a certain Seahawks coach?

2. USC1988

USC1988 Points Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Sadly, the JDR train came and went about three different times ... instead, we got dbag, drama queen, bubble boy, Goat Kiffin. Lazy, mental case, loser, fraud Suckisian. Lowly career assistant, stupid, back woods moron, Gomer. Great choices.

redeye, August West, pgoodman and 6 others like this.
  3. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Nov 26, 2020
    It also helps that Washington’s defensive front 4 are all 1st rounders. Only way to stop Chase Young is to hold him. Well the longer we wait to replace Helton our depth will continue to deplete. No more Linebacker U! How many defensive studs did we lose to Oregon and we will probably miss on Foreman!
    Fight On!

4. USC1988

USC1988 Points Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Imagine the real football players JDR would have brought in. As compared to these undersized jive turkeys Gomer loves.

5. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Agree that front 4 helps, but it’s not his first rodeo doing this. His Jax, Denver and Oakland teams were all outstanding defensive teams.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Nov 26, 2020
    No doubt, and one has to wonder what he could do with the talent at SC, not to mention recruiting, but our current administration refuses to acknowledge that Helton is slowly eroding our program. He is like Callaway who has broken our Oline stature and we have yet to recover. Let’s mask our Oline problems with the Air Raid. They need to address the source of the problem and that starts with The head coach! How many threads did we have when JDR was available after his stint with Raiders? I am happy for JDR and he will have continued opportunities!
    Fight On!

TrojanSigma and gubo&palanka like this.
  7. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Recall when JDR was at Coli for SC Hall of Fame he sat in front of me. Yeah, I told him wished he got HC instead of Sark. He posed for photos with us fans & was all smiles. Think his contacts in nfl would have brought some young rising stars as staff not family & retreads, lol. We would not be talking about soft practices. Recruits would be talking with NFL coaches . Think that would make up for not having recruiting background.

8. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 27, 2020
    lol

9. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Nov 27, 2020
    With JDR there wouldn’t be a need to talk about physical practices. One look from that dude and you know it’s the real deal
    I think his Jacksonville defense was as physically terrifying as I’ve ever seen but being buried down there no one noticed

However the issue was that jack wasn’t a good candidate for pat haden to mentor. Jack is a man not a boy

sign me up
    Putting him in charge of usc football would the best thing that the school could do

10. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Nov 27, 2020
    While Del Rio may not become the second coming of CPC like we would hope, at the very least USC would shed its current persona of a soft, weak, finesse team.

I've always said I'd rather cheer for a 6-6 team that plays hard-nosed, tough, disciplined football (but perhaps just doesn't have the talent to match up) than a 9-3 team with oodles of talent, but which plays soft, lackadaisical, undisciplined finesse football.

redeye likes this.
  11. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Nov 27, 2020
    I keep hearing about JDR and his defensive prowess, but he would need a high powered offense and solid special teams to contend for championships in today's NCAA Football. Offensively, what have his teams done? I am not a follower of his career, so I am legitimately curious to know. From what I recall of him, he seems to be more of an old school kind of coach. That being said, I would take him over Helton tonight if a change was possible. It is well past the time for Helton to move on.

12. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Nov 27, 2020
    I think that's basically it. We are so sick of Helton and his teams that are soft, weak, undisciplined, lack killer instinct, etc. - that we would he willing to take almost anyone else.

In seriousness, I felt getting JDR would be in the same vein as getting Jeff Fisher. Yeah, they have the NFL pedigree, but then so does Herm Edwards and Lovie Smith. Just because one has coached at the highest level doesn't mean they'll be instant successes at the college level. But I do think that Del Rio, like Fisher, would at least "clean up" the program and have them playing a tougher, more disciplined brand of football. You know, one where the offensive linemen actually even TRY to knock the other guy backwards?

August West and sctrojan2006 like this.
  13. Bilbo

Bilbo Points Member

Nov 27, 2020
    JDR would recruit better players than you know who .. that is where it all starts ....
    Also he would be a significant upgrade in coaching ability
    JDR is not Urban but he would upgrade our football program considerably
    Agree though this boat has sailed .. Folt and Bohn are a clown show so they are happy to have Bozo as the head football coach .. one of their own

redeye likes this.
  14. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Nov 27, 2020
    I'm not saying JDR was always the highest on my list but I would have been a lot more happier with him. Bottom line he would have recruited a lot more better on the Lines and Defensively. We always get great talent on Offense. He would have had us practicing hard as can be and we would have came out prepared for every game. With the right OC he could have been very successful here.

jiordone likes this.
  15. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Nov 27, 2020
    No to JDR..... need someone who is the complete package and is currently demonstrating his skills as a HC. CPC was an aberration and not the norm.

August West likes this.
  16. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Nov 27, 2020
    I would love to see a defensive minded coach, but they need to find a kick ass OC. Seems like all of the teams in contention for the CFP is putting up 40+ its per game. Plus, they have the defense to go with it. If it were up to me, it would be an all out effort to bring in Urban Meyer.

redeye likes this.
  17. pgoodman

pgoodman Junior Member

Nov 27, 2020
    washinton has been getting 1st round picks since Snyder bought the team but JDR has been developing them like no other. Wonder what college team could use that?

18. August West

August West Points Member

Nov 28, 2020
    LMFAO!
    Sad, but true.

19. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I really like JDR. If you look at our most successful coaches they came from the outside. The only exception was Johnny Robinson. I think JDR is head and shoulders much better than Helton. We have not made good choices when we go in house. Helton, Sark and Kiffy are good examples. At this point I think Marie Osmond would be a better choice than what we have now.

sctrojan2006 and Trojanfan1963 like this.
  20. Trojanfan1963

Trojanfan1963 Points Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Lol